Not open for further replies.

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
Good morning, all!

I almost don't believe this, especially since the topic came up on Tuesday morning!

Taking Abby to the vet this morning. Evidently, she found one of those dang Cuban Tree Frogs in her dog run, and had 2 seizures on Tuesday afternoon about 1enish; the other about 9enish. We didn't connect until Peter went out with her on Tuesday night just to keep an eye out in case she had a third seizure, and with a flashlight caught not one, but three of those nasty critters.
Bringing printed out sheets of info from University of Florida Wildlife Ecology & Conservation just in case we get accused of animal cruelty or some such thing.....what an upsetting thing. Eating my pond fish was bad enough, but you hurt my dog, and that's quite another story.
Don't hurt my family or my animals cause that will have dire consequences.

How ironic! We talked about this just on Tuesday morning!!!! It's almost as if it were precognition, or some such thing!!!

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
Good morning, all!

I almost don't believe this, especially since the topic came up on Tuesday morning!

Taking Abby to the vet this morning. Evidently, she found one of those dang Cuban Tree Frogs in her dog run, and had 2 seizures on Tuesday afternoon about 1enish; the other about 9enish. We didn't connect until Peter went out with her on Tuesday night just to keep an eye out in case she had a third seizure, and with a flashlight caught not one, but three of those nasty critters.
Bringing printed out sheets of info from University of Florida Wildlife Ecology & Conservation just in case we get accused of animal cruelty or some such thing.....what an upsetting thing. Eating my pond fish was bad enough, but you hurt my dog, and that's quite another story.

How ironic! We talked about this just on Tuesday morning!!!! It's almost as if it were precognition, or some such thing!!!
Oh, Gracie, PLEASE let us know how it goes...also in the Snails thread, too. You know what animal lovers we are! Keeping good thoughts.

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
Oh, Gracie, PLEASE let us know how it goes...also in the Snails thread, too. You know what animal lovers we are! Keeping good thoughts.

Vet was doubtful that is was the Cuban Tree Frog......but, with all of the warnings I've received from neighbors and the neighboring counties to keep our animals far away from these 'things' both hubby and I are in agreement about her assessment. I wouldn't argue with the research that has been done by Dr. Johnson of U.of Florida Wildlife Conservatory.

Nevertheless, she took blood work to eliminate any other possibilities; (tumor, thyroid).

She also suggested phenobarbital down the line if seizures were to continue!!!! I don't think I'd do that to her.......I was on that for many a year way back when, and I was in zombie mode for a very long time in my life. The damage done by pheno and dilantin are irreversible! Fortunately, I'm a survivor/fighter and won't put up with MY weakness, IYKWIM! :)

Anyway, that's where it stands of now!

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Vet was doubtful that is was the Cuban Tree Frog......but, with all of the warnings I've received from neighbors and the neighboring counties to keep our animals far away from these 'things' both hubby and I are in agreement about her assessment. I wouldn't argue with the research that has been done by Dr. Johnson of U.of Florida Wildlife Conservatory.

Nevertheless, she took blood work to eliminate any other possibilities; (tumor, thyroid).

She also suggested phenobarbital down the line if seizures were to continue!!!! I don't think I'd do that to her.......I was on that for many a year way back when, and I was in zombie mode for a very long time in my life. The damage done by pheno and dilantin are irreversible! Fortunately, I'm a survivor/fighter and won't put up with MY weakness, IYKWIM! :)

What kind of dog is she? Some breeds are prone to hypoglycemia which causes seizures.

Katmar

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa

Pheno seems to work differently with dogs, Gracie. Had several that had to be on it, and they did wonderfully. My mom was on it and didn't. Must be the way they metabolize it, maybe. But, DON'T be afraid if she needs it. :wub:

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Florida
    What kind of dog is she? Some breeds are prone to hypoglycemia which causes seizures.
    Unfortunately, Abby, a black lab, and has never exhibited the classic signs of hypoglycemia, however, she is listed as one of the breeds that could have seizures, either by genetics or by other causes.
    It makes me so sad that she experienced this and even though she does not remember it, her body does!

She's our crazy, sweet baby........

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    Good morning, all!

Oh wow! How upsetting! Poor baby. I hope the blood work comes back with some answers and she can be fixed. Keep us posted.

Katmar

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Unfortunately, Abby, a black lab, and has never exhibited the classic signs of hypoglycemia, however, she is listed as one of the breeds that could have seizures, either by genetics or by other causes.
    It makes me so sad that she experienced this and even though she does not remember it, her body does!

She's our crazy, sweet baby........

How old is she, Gracie? Please don't give up on pheno for her, if ever necessary. It really does act differently in dogs. They tolerate it VERY well. Like I said, I have had several of my rescues that had to be on it, and not ONE problem from ANY of them. And, it worked!
    I can't imagine what it did to you, and I understand how you would be averse to using it on your baby, but, it really is a wonder drug for dogs. There are probably other meds of that type, though, that they could use, if necessary, but let's just think totally POSITIVE!! :wub:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    FYI:

Save Access to Free eBooks . . .

Letter From The Broward County Library:

Publisher plans to limit your access to eBooks (see Spoiler)

Dear Library Customer:

As a valued Broward County Library cardholder, it is important to let you and your family know about upcoming, unsettling changes recently announced by Macmillan Publishers that will severely limit your access to the company’s latest eBook titles.

Beginning November 1, Macmillan, one of the nation’s largest book publishers, is launching an eBook embargo. This means that all public libraries – no matter their size – can purchase only one copy of a new eBook in the first eight weeks after its publication.

This embargo puts your access to eBooks at risk.

Macmillan’s plan will significantly impact library users, especially those with more barriers and fewer resources. Readers with disabilities, such as poor vision and dyslexia, for example, are especially reliant on eBooks. Library users who rely on us for the latest books and materials will see longer wait periods just when demand is the highest.

This embargo is part of a growing trend among the nation’s biggest publishers to charge public libraries higher prices for eBooks and eAudiobooks and to restrict their access. The publishers’ reasoning is that they lose sales of eBooks to libraries as customers borrow titles instead of buying them. However, studies indicate the opposite. A study by Panorama Project showed that 50% of all library users report they “try out” books from the library, then buy their favorites as gifts or for personal libraries.

Right now there are an estimated 116,867 libraries in the United States. We’re joining them in asking Macmillan to reverse its policy so that we can continue to meet readers’ needs both online and in print. Tens of thousands of readers have already added their names to a petition launched by the American Library Association at eBooksForAll.org.
    Make your voice heard on this issue!
    Whether you are a customer with Broward County Library or any other public library system, we encourage you to stand with us and work toward a more just outcome for libraries and readers throughout the country.

Sincerely,

Kelvin Watson
    Director of Broward County Libraries]

More Info Here, includes Petition:

Sign the Petition: Tell Macmillan Publishers that you demand #eBooksForAll

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    FYI:

Dear Library Customer:

As a valued Broward County Library cardholder, it is important to let you and your family know about upcoming, unsettling changes recently announced by Macmillan Publishers that will severely limit your access to the company’s latest eBook titles.

Beginning November 1, Macmillan, one of the nation’s largest book publishers, is launching an eBook embargo. This means that all public libraries – no matter their size – can purchase only one copy of a new eBook in the first eight weeks after its publication.

Macmillan’s plan will significantly impact library users, especially those with more barriers and fewer resources. Readers with disabilities, such as poor vision and dyslexia, for example, are especially reliant on eBooks. Library users who rely on us for the latest books and materials will see longer wait periods just when demand is the highest.

This embargo is part of a growing trend among the nation’s biggest publishers to charge public libraries higher prices for eBooks and eAudiobooks and to restrict their access. The publishers’ reasoning is that they lose sales of eBooks to libraries as customers borrow titles instead of buying them. However, studies indicate the opposite. A study by Panorama Project showed that 50% of all library users report they “try out” books from the library, then buy their favorites as gifts or for personal libraries.

Right now there are an estimated 116,867 libraries in the United States. We’re joining them in asking Macmillan to reverse its policy so that we can continue to meet readers’ needs both online and in print. Tens of thousands of readers have already added their names to a petition launched by the American Library Association at eBooksForAll.org.
    Whether you are a customer with Broward County Library or any other public library system, we encourage you to stand with us and work toward a more just outcome for libraries and readers throughout the country.

Sincerely,

Kelvin Watson

Thanks for the heads up. Petition is signed!

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    I started a little bit on the front porch telling the tale (tail) of my latest cat. January was extra cold this year, even for North Dakota. The second half of the month never got above double digits below zero. At the time I still had kind of a pet door/airlock, with a cat door* going from the laundry room to an odd little room that attaches the garage to the house, and a large dog door from there to outside. There's a bully neighbor cat that was keeping life exiting by wandering in now and then just to pick fights with my 2 older guys - thus why 'at the time' above.

So about the 1st of Feb another, much smaller cat snuck in around the other 2 and took up residence under a big desk in the living room where he had a defensible entry and a small (too small for the others) opening on the other end about 4' from the cat food dish. I could tell he was there, but didn't get a good look at him until one morning he was sleeping curled up around that food dish. He'd obviously been on his own for a while, scrawny and spooky, but the real kicker was that the tops of his ears had frozen off. What was I supposed to do - kick him back out?

About 2 weeks after he moved in he finally ventured out and about**, and had obviously been a pet before. He's way more cuddly than any cat I'd had in years. So that's how I ended up with another cat again after having decided to not get any more at this age/stage of life.

He's not healthy, has FIV,*** has bad teeth, and showed up with about every parasite a cat can have. I've spent a small fortune on him at the vet, though part of that was getting him neutered. That's probably why he was feral, someone got a cute kitten that grew up into a tomcat spraying and smelling and yowling.

So, Here's Smiley - named for George Smiley, from 'The Spy Who Came in From the Cold' not for a facial expression.

This is from his first day out and about. Don't know how I figured out he'd been a pet before.
    View attachment 842261

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    He could have been confused with memory problems. My dog now officially owns me.
    Other peoples dogs own me. I'm sitting another day with the 3 I hadn't seen in over a year. Owners will be home about 3am in the morning. They are still on Hawaii time so drivng from Dallas to College Station tonight. The pups have stuck to me like glue! Lots & lots of snuggles given & received. They are so sweet. They have a doggie door so run in & out all day. One has decided that the doggie door is beneath him & won't use it unless he fails to convince me to get up & let him in or out. Sometimes I let him convince me. They all pile on the bed with me at night. They still play the game of limiting the amount of space they give to get into bed. They never leave me enough room to lay down & stretch my legs out. Sometimes they give me a few inches on the edge & I can stretch out my right leg. I figured out that if I push my left foot under them & keep moving it a bit they'll give up & move over enough to get off of that foot! They are hilarious. They are convinced that their vitamins & joint suppliments are treats. They come when I call them & sit & wait for me to give them out. And drool. I'll attach a picture later.

Ok. They overplayed their hand tonight. They've never completely blocked me before!

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk
    ae92f274a2ae72b0549731a9dcada079.jpg

Last edited:

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    Good morning, all!

Poor Abby! I hope she's okay & no more frogs show up.

Kenna

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 14, 2014
    Texas, USA
    FYI:

Dear Library Customer:

Sincerely,

Kelvin Watson

Wow. That just stinks.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread