Not open for further replies.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
So -Thankfully, by taking a little more effort while packing - in the end the movers knew what went where and I could double check the list that each box arrived. Before they were paid . . . :thumbs:
OMG! You had mover?! I'm so jealous!
Don't forget to pack a "Morning after box " - which includes the coffee maker, coffee of choice, any sweetener (if Ya use it), and creamer/milk (fresh or powdered) . . . AND - Something to drink the coffee out of - besides using the pot itself . . . And a bag with Soap, Toothbrush/paste, wash cloth, towel (Ya' definitely will NEED a shower before bed) . . . In addition, a bag with clean sheets too . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:
We needed a 'Week After' box.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
OMG! You had mover?! I'm so jealous!

We needed a 'Week After' box.

Used to move myself or had friends help . . . However, Had to Have Movers . . . Not only was no one available, WAY TOO MUCH "STUFF" to move myself, especially since I would be in the hospital if I did or dead . . . :facepalm:

AND - YES - Week after box - NEEDED! :lol:

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
Well, our moving saga takes a new turn next week. 65,000 pounds* of "household goods" (a whole lot is my shop stuff) is arriving from storage. Anything not specifically marked Kitchen, Bedroom, or Living Room is going to my 1500 sqft (140 sq m) shop building. There I will sort out what comes into the house, what must be disposed of, and lastly organize the rest into my shop.

===============
* For a visualization: think four semi trailers and five or ten of the smaller box vans - at least that's what it took to haul it away from the old house.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Well, our moving saga takes a new turn next week. 65,000 pounds* of "household goods" (a whole lot is my shop stuff) is arriving from storage. Anything not specifically marked Kitchen, Bedroom, or Living Room is going to my 1500 sqft (140 sq m) shop building. There I will sort out what comes into the house, what must be disposed of, and lastly organize the rest into my shop.

===============
* For a visualization: think four semi trailers and five or ten of the smaller box vans - at least that's what it took to haul it away from the old house.

Good gosh ... sure sounds like you'll be busy for awhile. :cool:

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA

===============

We know what you'll be doing for awhile. Are we going to get an empty box count as you go through them?

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
We know what you'll be doing for awhile. Are we going to get an empty box count as you go through them?

I did notice on the storage inventory sheet(s) from this move that the index numbers (of mostly boxes and some individual objects) ran to the high 700s. That's a LOT of boxes.

Ha! I. bet I have a few things still in boxes from a move back in 1972. (Surely the mantra, "But I might need it someday," has expired on those things. Nah; I'll give them a full 50 years. My new mantra: "If you haven't found a need for it in 50 years, throw it out.") In fact, I have some things my dad bought as actual war surplus back in the 1940s; neither of us have found a use for them yet. OTOH, I grew up using some of those things for various projects, so which would be useful and which would not was not obvious at the time of acquisition nor in the decades that followed. My play-pool as a toddler was made from a wing tank from some WWII fighter plane; hard, black, rubber (self-sealing), and a very odd shape.
play-pool-1946.jpg

You can see the rough edge where my dad hacksawed out an opening in the top of the tank.

I remember opening a box from that 1972 move about 20 years later and found it full of floor sweepings. Apparently one person had swept up and used the box to hold the sweepings; then another person came along, hefted the box, found it full, and neatly taped it up (so of course it got moved). I actually recalled some of the objects in the floor sweepings and was able to date the box from the exact move. I even knew the exact location that had been swept up to fill the box. (Now that is some serious OCD and possibly ARD.)

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Over the last 20 years, I've moved more times than I can count and usually it was a rushed job with little or no help. I had boxes that were never unpacked from previous moves being hauled around the state. My last move was two years ago and I had plenty of warning this time. I was moving to a smaller house with no storage and had to downsize. I had a garage sale, one trip to the metal scrap yard, three to the city dump, and a couple of trips to Goodwill. I managed to fit everything left in a 16 ft. Uhaul.

Now my mother and sister want to have a garage sale at my place and I don't have anything to sell.

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    I did notice on the storage inventory sheet(s) from this move that the index numbers (of mostly boxes and some individual objects) ran to the high 700s. That's a LOT of boxes.

Ha! I. bet I have a few things still in boxes from a move back in 1972. (Surely the mantra, "But I might need it someday," has expired on those things. Nah; I'll give them a full 50 years. My new mantra: "If you haven't found a need for it in 50 years, throw it out.") In fact, I have some things my dad bought as actual war surplus back in the 1940s; neither of us have found a use for them yet. OTOH, I grew up using some of those things for various projects, so which would be useful and which would not was not obvious at the time of acquisition nor in the decades that followed. My play-pool as a toddler was made from a wing tank from some WWII fighter plane; hard, black, rubber (self-sealing), and a very odd shape.
    play-pool-1946.jpg

You can see the rough edge where my dad hacksawed out an opening in the top of the tank.

I remember opening a box from that 1972 move about 20 years later and found it full of floor sweepings. Apparently one person had swept up and used the box to hold the sweepings; then another person came along, hefted the box, found it full, and neatly taped it up (so of course it got moved). I actually recalled some of the objects in the floor sweepings and was able to date the box from the exact move. I even knew the exact location that had been swept up to fill the box. (Now that is some serious OCD and possibly ARD.)

Us too!! We had friends move us from one house to the next. After I'd boxed everything up I went to the new house with the 1st load and stayed there to unload and direct the loads as they arrived. I opened a trash bag to discover - trash! They moved our trash to the new house!! At least it didn't sit there for 20 years before opening it. It's true though that opening a carefully packed box from that long ago is a little like finding long lost memories.

About a year after Mike and I got married my mother asked me to go through a drawer of stuff I'd left behind. I just never got around to it so I told her to just get rid it. Never even looked in that drawer and you know what, never missed it.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 26, 2015
    Oklahoma City, OK, USA
    I'm really enjoying the 2 big windows in my new bedroom. They face the front. But, this street has an awful lot of trees, bushes, and green grass. It's a very relaxing view.
    That sounds like a great place to have a chair for reading with a nice radio or CD playing in the background.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    We have these beautiful rain shower heads in our new bathrooms. They're beautiful, but not very good for rinsing thick long hair.

She, of course doesn't want to change them out for the usual type we use that you can set to higher pressure for rinsing hair. I don't blame her so far as looks go. But, what do I do about rinsing my hair? Put a chair in the shower and sit for half an hour letting the water gently flow over my hair?

I can't even just lie down in a tub of water to rinse because we have handicap tubs with low sides in both bathrooms. No baths in this house.

Oh wait! Maybe the kitchen sink for my final rinse. It has a separate sprayer.

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA
    We have these beautiful rain shower heads in our new bathrooms. They're beautiful, but not very good for rinsing thick long hair.

She, of course doesn't want to change them out for the usual type we use that you can set to higher pressure for rinsing hair. I don't blame her so far as looks go. But, what do I do about rinsing my hair? Put a chair in the shower and sit for half an hour letting the water gently flow over my hair?

I can't even just lie down in a tub of water to rinse because we have handicap tubs with low sides in both bathrooms. No baths in this house.

Oh wait! Maybe the kitchen sink for my final rinse. It has a separate sprayer.

I'm assuming it's not the kind of shower head that can be hand held? That would be helpful. Otherwise I guess it's the kitchen sink unless you want to cut your hair. Oh no, did I just say that? I was just telling my dil that I wish I had long hair like hers that I could just pull back in a ponytail. Short hair is awful while it's growing in.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread