Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Yep, wait for a bed! It is exciting to finally have all this come together. When we bought this house we spent the first night on the floor with the kids. It was fun. Of course we were 32 years younger then!

Our daughter is currently looking for a house now that her house is under contract. Now its a time crunch to find a house! They didn't get their favorite house because, although their house was under contract, the home inspection was not yet done. Arrrgh! We can only think that they weren't meant to have that house. The problem is there's not a lot out there to choose from. I hate this part of house buying.

When we built our last house in 1997 we moved into an apartment for 6 months while construction was under way. Our house at the lake sold too quickly and construction on the new one was just in the lot clearing and foundation stage. We had to move everything to a U-Store-it place. Moving can be stressful, but the end result is nice once you get everything squared away.

We learned to enjoy temporary apartment living. We were both still in the peak of our careers, so we were at work all day and went by to check on the construction every day after work. We ate lots of meals at a Cracker Barrel after work after going by and checking on the new house progress. It was kind of an exciting time. 6 months later we moved in and have been here for 23 years. Our "new" home is a keeper.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Me? I'm staying where my bed is.

There won't be any beds until tomorrow or the next day. That's when I'll move in. I'm too old to have to get up and down from the floor every time I have to pee.

Heck, just have them load you AND the bed when it's time :)

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@Debadoo . . .

So nice to see your post and to give 'Us" an update about how Iffy/Patty are doing . . . Now "WE" NEED to hear more about "You" and how Ya' are doing . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

OMG!!! Trying to picture that scares the bejesus out of me!

Well - Have Ya' try to think about what seeing "You" like that would do to other people . . .

Well - HECK - @DancingHeretik is a "Matriarch" . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

OH - BTW: @DancingHeretik . . .

ani2.gif

Last edited:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
OMG, it really happened! For the last 5 years, Melinda has been 'about' to get a house. Year after year.

The sale was final today. I'm home alone because everyone else just left with a Uhaul full of stuff. They plan on spending the night there. Everyone's very excited.

Me? I'm staying where my bed is.

There won't be any beds until tomorrow or the next day. That's when I'll move in. I'm too old to have to get up and down from the floor every time I have to pee.
Wahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! I'm soooooooo happy for y'all!!! I know you love all the grandkids, but I expect it's a little bit nice to have a night or two with the house to yourself. Make sure that they make sure you have food, and whatever you might need til they get you moved though.

Yep, wait for a bed! It is exciting to finally have all this come together. When we bought this house we spent the first night on the floor with the kids. It was fun. Of course we were 32 years younger then!

Our daughter is currently looking for a house now that her house is under contract. Now its a time crunch to find a house! They didn't get their favorite house because, although their house was under contract, the home inspection was not yet done. Arrrgh! We can only think that they weren't meant to have that house. The problem is there's not a lot out there to choose from. I hate this part of house buying.
jup, just put it in God's hands and ask Him to find them one that they love even better!!

lmao.....don't know if y'all have seen the movie fiddler on the roof or not, and I couldn't find a photo of this, but it instantly reminded me of a scene near the end, when they were being evicted from their village. So many were really old, and one family had a wagon that had this huge bed in it, with the mama or granny or someone sitting straight up in the bed in the wagon. Most were pushing little carts with their few belongings, these folks just grabbed the bed with granny in it, but it was odd to see her sitting straight upright.

@Debadoo . . .

So nice to see your post and to give 'Us" an update about how Iffy/Patty are doing . . . Now "WE" NEED to hear more about "You" and how Ya' are doing . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)
:wub: I'm doin fine. My life hasn't changed much. The pain clinic wants to have a dorsal column stimulator inserted, so I have another MRI next week for that. None of the many injections, or nerve burns they've done have helped in my neck or my back, so this is pretty much the last thing they have to try. The opioids are the only thing that gives me some relief, but they said they have to try to "do" stuff to me, they can't do the meds and nothing else. Don't really understand that, but anyhow, here's hoping this works. I reckin it's similar to a TENS, but this one will be a burst one cuz I can't deal with that tingly sensation. It's supposed to "open up the spinal column" I dunno. Not real keen on it, but I feel like I have to try anything I can whether I want to or not. They will initially insert the leads in a couple places, and tape the unit to me. If it doesn't help, they take the leads out. If it does work I have to go back and have the unit itself inserted. You control it with a smart phone. I think he said they do give you something to control it with so that's all you do with it. The whole time we talked about it, I assumed (yeah I know what they say about that) that they would do it at Scott and White. Level 1 trauma center and they fly people there from all over to get things done. Newp, closest place to do this is Dallas which is about 3 hours away. :rolleyes: I bent over yesterday and my back started trying to lock up on me, not any better this morning, so I plastered patches all over the area, so hopefully that will help.

Yesterday my phone was fine, I had it on the charger, grabbed it getting ready to go to the doc. Got in the car, took it out to make sure I remembered how to get to this clinic, and it was dead. Look at it when I got to the clinic, (turns out I did remember), and it was super hot. Got home, and a few hours later it finally cooled off. I assume that meant the batt had run down. I plugged in and nothing happened, but I just now did it and left it plugged in a little longer and it has turned on now and texts and notifications are coming in. Just not sure if it will be ok til I can get another one, or if that battery is shot. The web says it's not meant to have a changeable battery and that you have to take it to AT&T, and there is no place to open the back, but of course, amazon sells battery kits for it for about 20.00 and there are videos on prying it open lmao. Ok, one question answered, it charged to 7% but I can feel it getting a tad warm, so I unplugged it. Not gonna take a chance with a batt blowing up or venting. But at least maybe I can get my photos and contacts etc off of it. I've got so much stored on there that I don't want to lose. And man ya don't realize how many times a day you reach for it til it's gone. But these are all minor things and in the grand scheme, I am incredibly blessed!! But gonna get off here now. Hugs to all!

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
The web says it's not meant to have a changeable battery and that you have to take it to AT&T, and there is no place to open the back, but of course, amazon sells battery kits for it for about 20.00 and there are videos on prying it open lmao.
Hi Deb, See if you have a batteries Plus near you. I had to replace the battery in my Samsung and they had it in stock. It has been a couple of years so I don't remember what it cost me.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
@Debadoo that's scary to have your phone heat up like that. Definitely needs to be looked at. We don't want you burning the house down or burning you up!

I finally got a bunch of the plants potted up that I'd ordered over the winter. It looks so nice to sit here with my coffee and a vape and see them all sprinkled around on the deck. Hopefully they like their new home and will reward me with lots of blooms! Last year we had to clear the deck of everything while repairs were made so this year I want to make up for it! I wish the nurseries were open because I'd like to get a bunch of marigolds to plant through the garden to keep pests away.

Today I'll be planting in the garden. It hasn't been tilled so I'm just going to dig holes for the veggie plants and put down some landscape cloth I found in the garage and hope for the best. I read somewhere that it's good not to till the ground because that messes up the beneficial bacteria etc in the soil. Guess I'll find out.

misswish1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
NM
The pain clinic wants to have a dorsal column stimulator inserted, so I have another MRI next week for that.

Just not sure if it will be ok til I can get another one, or if that battery is shot. /QUOTE]

Now that is something new to me. Crossing my fingers and sending up prayers that it big success for you!

Good luck with the battery, glad you are being safe with it.

:wub:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
@Debadoo . . .

Glad to know your doctors and - especially "You" ! ! ! - are taking a more proactive role in trying to improve your health situation . . . HEY - While none of "Us" can find or get a more youthful body - at least "We" can try to possibly maintain what "We" have to last a little longer . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

As for the battery situation, YES - I agree with the advice you have already gotten - get a new battery or phone immediately ! ! ! Also as an FYI: I just had to get a new battery a couple of months ago for "My" 5 year old LG G Stylo. Checked with Battery Plus, but they want too much for the battery . . . So - Did a search on Amazon and Walmart. It turns out Walmart had 3 pack of batteries for less then the price of one at Battery Plus - cost "Me" only $20.96 + shipping for all 3 . . . In addition, I found in the search I did that I actually could get a more powerful (3000mHa instead of 2500mHa that came with the phone) to use for the phone too . . . Just a suggestion . . . ;)

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Hi Deb, See if you have a Batteries Plus near you. I had to replace the battery in my Samsung and they had it in stock. It has been a couple of years so I don't remember what it cost me.

Yea _ I thought they would be the best place to go to too . . . First time - I tried them to get a battery for "My" Samsung Galaxy 3 - :shock: Talk about sticker shock - cost less to get the LG G Stylo . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

(BTW: Still have the Samsung Galaxy 3 and an Otter box for it too if anyone wants it . . . Just send "Me" a PM )

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
I had the Galaxy 5 phone for years until just recently when we both had to get new phones. I would have kept mine, but it also heated up when charging to the point I didn't charge it anymore. Now that I have my new phone, I wanted to check if the Gal/5 still got hot when charging, and dang it all, the temperature was fine.......no heating! Go figure.

@Debadoo
Today I'll be planting in the garden. It hasn't been tilled so I'm just going to dig holes for the veggie plants and put down some landscape cloth I found in the garage and hope for the best. I read somewhere that it's good not to till the ground because that messes up the beneficial bacteria etc in the soil. Guess I'll find out.
I've read the same thing about not tilling so I figured that's one less step I have to take, so that's a good thing. :) What flowers have you planted in your pots?

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I've read the same thing about not tilling so I figured that's one less step I have to take, so that's a good thing. :) What flowers have you planted in your pots?

I'm not sure how the landscape fabric is going to work long term, but I figure the sun will beat down on it and kill any weeds trying to come up. My garden is very, very good at growing weeds! I can always pull it up later if I don't think it's letting enough water in. I'll probably go out and poke in some little holes.

Oh my, lots of different ones in lots of different colors.
Verbena, Mandeville petunia, couple different Calibrachoa, African Daisy, Dichondra, Dahlia, Bougainvillea, Firecraker plants, Yellow Tecoma, Gaillardia, Fuscia, Primrose and a few others I can't remember the names of. I have a barrel planter that I'd planted chives in last year and they came up again! I'd pushed the barrel aside and forgot about it and now they're blooming. So pretty!

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
I'm not sure how the landscape fabric is going to work long term, but I figure the sun will beat down on it and kill any weeds trying to come up. My garden is very, very good at growing weeds! I can always pull it up later if I don't think it's letting enough water in. I'll probably go out and poke in some little holes.

Oh my, lots of different ones in lots of different colors.
Verbena, Mandeville petunia, couple different Calibrachoa, African Daisy, Dichondra, Dahlia, Bougainvillea, Firecraker plants, Yellow Tecoma, Gaillardia, Fuscia, Primrose and a few others I can't remember the names of. I have a barrel planter that I'd planted chives in last year and they came up again! I'd pushed the barrel aside and forgot about it and now they're blooming. So pretty!
Fantastic choices which will, no doubt, give you a great deal of beauty! :)

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Hello! {waving at everyone}

Just thought I'd say Hi from work since we won't have internet until Thursday (I hope) at the new house.

Maybe by then I'll be able to find all my toiletries and clothes in all the boxes in the garage. We have a LOT of boxes and bags to go through. And, of course, they're not even organized in sections by what they are or by who they belong to. It's a scavenger hunt.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
And, of course, they're not even organized in sections by what they are or by who they belong to. It's a scavenger hunt.

Well, make sure you go through them first, so you can get all the good stuff! ;)

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Hello! {waving at everyone}

Just thought I'd say Hi from work since we won't have internet until Thursday (I hope) at the new house.

Maybe by then I'll be able to find all my toiletries and clothes in all the boxes in the garage. We have a LOT of boxes and bags to go through. And, of course, they're not even organized in sections by what they are or by who they belong to. It's a scavenger hunt.

Ugh! Don't envy you that chore! Still, if you can find work clothes, PJs and your bed you should be able to just do a couple boxes each day. It'll be chaos for a bit, but it will all come together. Before long we'll be in the same boat and I'm not looking forward to all that work and confusion, but it also will be exciting to start something new. I wish you all the best in your new home.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Before long we'll be in the same boat and I'm not looking forward to all that work and confusion, but it also will be exciting to start something new. I wish you all the best in your new home.

SO BEEN THERE DONE THAT ! ! ! On numerous occasions . . . So even though you didn't ask - if I maybe so bold as to suggest - a few tips that have helped "Me" over the years . . .

Make Moving Easier - Supplies:

Steno Book or Similar pad of paper
Writing implement
Black Sharpie/Marker to number box
Additional Colored Marker for each member of the family and/or room.​

Keep Supplies right next to you as your packing. . . . Make a list for box - As you are packing box - include what the items are being put in box, example BOX #1 - #5 Kitchen Items: Dishes, Glasses, Silverware, etc. - When done - Number & Label the Box, make sure the box has (using a color marker) - What room it belongs in and / or who's possessions are in that particular box.

Last move, besides all the furniture, art work, and extremely breakable items (including electronics) . . . there were a total of 125 sm/med/large boxes & 8 heavy duty green bins (for larger items, including Pots & Pans) and 10 see though file boxes (Paperwork/Pictures). . . Thankfully, each and every box was numbered and colored coded - ex: *Kitchen - Red, Bathroom/Toiletries - Blue, Bedroom - Black, Books/Movies-DVDs/CD's & Records - Green, Brick-a-brac - Orange, Office Supplies - Purple, etc.

So -Thankfully, by taking a little more effort while packing - in the end the movers knew what went where and I could double check the list that each box arrived. Before they were paid . . . :thumbs:

More importantly, anytime I NEEDED to find something before the box was officially unpacked and put away - I could look up what box it was in to get what I needed without pulling "My" Hair out. . . :shock:

OH YEA - A few more MUST ! ! ! :D

:eek: Don't forget to pack a "Morning after box " - which includes the coffee maker, coffee of choice, any sweetener (if Ya use it), and creamer/milk (fresh or powdered) . . . AND - Something to drink the coffee out of - besides using the pot itself . . . And a bag with Soap, Toothbrush/paste, wash cloth, towel (Ya' definitely will NEED a shower before bed) . . . In addition, a bag with clean sheets too . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

Hope this information is somewhat helpful . . . ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread