Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
My Eva has several friends in various kinds of extended-care facilities, and is heartbroken that she (or any other of their families and friends) can't visit them. For them to be sick or unable to manage for themselves AND to have to do it alone just tears her up.
Right. My sister is in an Alzheimer's facility about 180 miles from here, and I haven't been allowed to see her since early March. The only redeeming factor is that I'm not sure she misses the visits, or is really sure of just who I am. I can't help thinking I've seen her alive for the last time.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Right. My sister is in an Alzheimer's facility about 180 miles from here, and I haven't been allowed to see her since early March. The only redeeming factor is that I'm not sure she misses the visits, or is really sure of just who I am. I can't help thinking I've seen her alive for the last time.

How incredibly sad. I am not a very emotionally expressive guy but your post made my eyes water. There are times when the language is simply inadequate.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
My 96 yr old mother-in-law is in an assisted living facility about 20 miles away. She doesn't remember much, not ALZ but dementia. We have the same conversation over and over at least 5-6 times in 20 minutes. DH calls his mother daily - "I haven't heard from you in so long!". Then she wants to argue. Nope, not going there. Since March, we can't visit her. We bring goodies weekly; she loves my chopped liver her mother taught me to make many years ago. 2 weeks ago they implemented outside visits - we made an appointment, filled out forms that we have not been anywhere we could be exposed to COVID, temps taken. We would sit outside, masked and distanced, and an aid brought her out. Then, with COVID spikes in Florida, cabash on that. We still bring her goodies to eat and visit at her window, but this is one h*ll of a way to spend your last days. I just want to hug her and tell her I love her but no can do. It's tough all around, not only on her but on us too.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
You are so right. My sister can't even visit her husband through the window now because somebody abused that activity. She thinks people were opening the windows or something because now they're not even allowed to do that. So, they settle on talking on the phone each day. It's so sad. My friend lost her brother to Covid and they couldn't even have a funeral. This is just awful.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
You are so right. My sister can't even visit her husband through the window now because somebody abused that activity. She thinks people were opening the windows or something because now they're not even allowed to do that. So, they settle on talking on the phone each day. It's so sad. My friend lost her brother to Covid and they couldn't even have a funeral. This is just awful.
iPhone or iPad (or similar from other vendors) can allow Facetime (video phone calls) to make things a little better. It does require WiFi availability at both ends (and maybe some tech assistance). I know of a few cases where this has worked. My grandkids were able to sing Happy Birthday to me recently (77) in spite of it being inadvisable for them to visit personally. I am fortunate that both myself and my daughter are pretty tech-savvy, so we knew how to do this.

There is also Skype (which I don't use personally) that can be used computer-to-computer.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
iPhone or iPad (or similar from other vendors) can allow Facetime (video phone calls) to make things a little better. It does require WiFi availability at both ends (and maybe some tech assistance). I know of a few cases where this has worked. My grandkids were able to sing Happy Birthday to me recently (77) in spite of it being inadvisable for them to visit personally. I am fortunate that both myself and my daughter are pretty tech-savvy, so we knew how to do this.

There is also Skype (which I don't use personally) that can be used computer-to-computer.

Good idea, but we did get my sister an iPad thinking between that and her daughter's iPad they could work out visits but they're so short handed at the nursing home I really doubt anyone there would be available to help him. They're keeping staff to a minimum with strict rules - so far not 1 case of Covid there. My sister barely knows how to turn the iPad on. Sadly, she's in the beginnings of dementia and I think anything tech scares her. It's just a sad situation. It's going to be quite a reunion when they're finally able to be together.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Yep, I admit it. I'm complaining about the summer heat.

summer.png

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
My brother, Chris, called early this morning wondering if my other brother, Greg, was at my house or if I knew where he was. He had been gone all night and forgot his phone at home, so couldn't be called.

After a bit of investigating, it turns out that Greg had had a 'seizure' at HEB and had been taken to a hospital in an ambulance yesterday. He was taken to one hospital,transferred to another, then transferred again to another. But, we finally found him.

We're not allowed to see him because of Covid precautions. But, Chris did get a chance to talk to him on the phone briefly. The hospital isn't saying much yet, waiting for test results and all that.

We're assuming that his seizure is probably another stroke. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I'm very worried about my baby brother.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
My brother, Chris, called early this morning wondering if my other brother, Greg, was at my house or if I knew where he was. He had been gone all night and forgot his phone at home, so couldn't be called.

After a bit of investigating, it turns out that Greg had had a 'seizure' at HEB and had been taken to a hospital in an ambulance yesterday. He was taken to one hospital,transferred to another, then transferred again to another. But, we finally found him.

We're not allowed to see him because of Covid precautions. But, Chris did get a chance to talk to him on the phone briefly. The hospital isn't saying much yet, waiting for test results and all that.

We're assuming that his seizure is probably another stroke. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I'm very worried about my baby brother.

Oh geez, that's awful. Hopefully there's no Covid involved and there's no lasting problems and he can come home quickly.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA

Wow ... that's a terrible tail ... having to chase him down to find him and then finding out what happened. Best wishes it all works at well.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

prayerwheel2.gif

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011

GOOD VIBES & POSITIVE HEALTHY THOUGHTS . . .

Being sent to "You" and "Greg" . . .

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN

Thoughts heading your way.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    @DancingHeretik Any news on your brother?
    Apparently it was not a stroke, but some kind of seizure. The doctor doesn't know what caused it. They sent him home. Then he went back to the hospital because he was feeling so nauseous and dizzy.

They sent him home after a few hours with some medication to help him feel better until the nausea and dizziness goes away. Saying that those are common symptoms after a seizure.

So, although he luckily did not have a stroke, they don't know what's wrong with him.

I feel so bad for him. Since the strokes, he's been so depressed. He can't remember things enough to do anything. He's one of those people that's always researching on the computer or designing & building things.

He doesn't dare try to use his welders or any other dangerous equipment. He has trouble even remembering his passwords to use a computer.

He's actually very lucky physically, not so much mentally. Hopefully he'll get better with time.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Apparently it was not a stroke, but some kind of seizure. The doctor doesn't know what caused it. They sent him home. Then he went back to the hospital because he was feeling so nauseous and dizzy.

They sent him home after a few hours with some medication to help him feel better until the nausea and dizziness goes away. Saying that those are common symptoms after a seizure.

So, although he luckily did not have a stroke, they don't know what's wrong with him.

I feel so bad for him. Since the strokes, he's been so depressed. He can't remember things enough to do anything. He's one of those people that's always researching on the computer or designing & building things.

He doesn't dare try to use his welders or any other dangerous equipment. He has trouble even remembering his passwords to use a computer.

He's actually very lucky physically, not so much mentally. Hopefully he'll get better with time.
    I assume they tested blood sugar levels?

Janet H

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 3, 2011
    PA

Oh no, that has to be so frustrating! Maybe for now he needs to have a small notebook with him to take notes? Hopefully he'll see improvements with each passing day.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 20, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    I assume they tested blood sugar levels?
    I don't know. I'll mention that to his daughter. She's the one handling all his doctors and legalities.
    Oh no, that has to be so frustrating! Maybe for now he needs to have a small notebook with him to take notes? Hopefully he'll see improvements with each passing day.
    He's been very stubborn about that. He hasn't even been able to remember how to make his tea and refused to keep a pad on the counter to right down each experiment until he gets it right. He just buys pre-made sweetened tea now.

The one word for Greg is still STUBBORN.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread