Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Nope; just the kind of metal. Everything else can be calculated from the internal electronics of the mod.
EDIT: Everything else important. The gauge, and length of the wire is irrelevant.

Yep, just the type of metal. The mod has the curves built in, you just have to tell it what metal, so it knows which curve to use. Some TC mods will also let you enter new curves for metals not in their factory program, or to adjust an existing curve for personal preferences.

Makes sense - thanks for all of the replies. I am toying with the idea of trying one. I am very well set with what I have, but TC interests me - at least a little...

Likewise! Many of my mods are TC capable, but I've not gone there yet :)

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Okay, now for the big question. Where is a good place to start without breaking the bank that is...

You might see a bias here ... but I prefer DNA chipsets.

If you are trying to stay under $100, here's 3 to consider

Lost Vape EPetite DNA60 TC Box Mod | Single 18650 Platform

Vapeman Steam Engine DNA75 TC Box Mod
(this one is a dual 18650)

This one's a bit over $100, but many people including me have it and really like it. Out of stock 'till end of March though. Use this link to get free shipping to the USA. There's an active thread here at ECF about it.

SERIES-B DNA 75W (Device Only) - (USA)

JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Yikes! I'm so dated I don't even know what a Melo III is. :rolleyes:
Yikes! I'm so dated I don't even know what a Melo III is. :rolleyes:
Hey don't feel like the lone stranger, I haven't looked at new vape stuff except for the Sirens and Prime for a year.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
It's a good question. Yes, 400˚ is 400˚, but how is the mod expected to know what temperature the coil is and adjust the current to keep it at the desired temperature?

TC mods don't actually measure temperature; they measure resistance. Most metals change their resistance as their temperatures change. Some metals more than others, and all to a different extent. For various reasons, nickel, titanium, and the alloy Stainless Steel 316L are the ones commonly used for vaping coils. Their temperature/resistance data are well known, and this data is built in to various TC mods.

What the mods can't tell is exactly what metal the coil is made of. The mod can easily measure the resistance of the coil which is attached, and measure the change as the coil heats up, but the mod can't determine what these measurements mean unless it is "told" (by what metal the mod is set for) which data to use to convert the resistance changes into actual temperatures.
Good answer. Supposedly nickel is the one with the most change of resistance also the hardest to work with. It took some time for them to get SS down because it has the least amount of change.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
Okay, now for the big question. Where is a good place to start without breaking the bank that is...
The eLeaf iStick TC 40W is cheap enough. Unfortunately, it is limited to Nickel200 coils only for TC mode. (Evolv chipset I believe) I have five of them and use them (in rotation) as, my EDC. I also have a couple of AEGIS mods (more expensive) for my desk mods. These can use several different metals for coils including SS 316L, although I haven't tried anything but nickel since that's all that's available (that I know of) to fit my Aspire Nautilus tanks.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
My taste varies. At times I think the YiHi is best at others DNA. The thing with the DNA's back a ways it was slightly difficult to get a good curve for SS316L but I have been hearing some good things about the Evolve settings now, the default settings they have now for SS I mean. I really haven't tried the other board too much but I know that like the iSticks and another one that I have is you have to kind of tune in the TCR to where it tastes like you know it should comparing to an accurate board. Some the default settings for SS seem way off but you can dial them in using TCR and the ones I have have a spot for 3 different ones which for me is unnecessary since I only use SS I have a bunch of Ti tho. One of the things I like about TC is that it fires instantly, you don't have to take a primer hit to warm the wire up, plus it doesn't drop off as the battery gets toward the lower end especially with the DNA my older ones do somewhat but my multi battery DNA's don't. I really like the SX G class but mine has a glitch in it now, doesn't seem to affect anything but it is annoying plus the price of the DNA is much better and you have so much bigger of a choice of Mods all the way from crappie builds to high end builds. Big range of styles.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Wow! Evolv is coming out w/ a totally new board. It's unique feature is 'replay'. When you get the perfect vape from your setup, press the replay button and from that point on, every hit will be just like the one you 'liked'. The board monitors all kinds of variables in real time, so it can freeze your favorite puff's parameters and reproduce it. And it's capable of 400 watts. Brandon said they even 'locked the replay' on their test mods, then put them in a freezer for 2 hrs, then took them out pressed the button and ta-da ... they had the exact vape they locked in w/ 'replay'.

The other interesting thing I picked up from the vid was 'he' said many people who work at Evolv don't use TC because it's too fiddly ... I had to giggle at that. But this 'replay' perks my interest to follow it's development and release.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
400 watts? Wonder how many batteries that takes. Seeing as how I am a max 12 watt vaper, and that is so rare, but interesting for TC. Not a TC vaper, but interesting.

As I recall, it can be configured to run 2-4x 18650's. I suppose a lipo cell could be used too. Nothing was ever said about TC, just that you set the watts for your preferred vape. He mentioned, just like the old days, start low and work your way up to your sweet spot.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I have a Honda generator, any thoughts on how to hook it up to a Kayfun Prime.

I think Fastech has 510 adapters for those generators. You'll just have to be wait until the Chinese New Year shipping freeze ends to get it. :D

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Use the 240 volt outlet?
torture.gif

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
I've been a TC-only vaper for close to a year now, I think. SS 316L wire. The biggest negative regarding DNA chips, in my opinion, is that you need to hook up to a computer in order to change a profile from Power mode to TC, and Evolv (the maker of the DNA chip) isn't exactly up front about that fact. That's looney.

I've got several DNA mods and several mods with Yihi chips. I think I have enough experience with both to say that the DNA chip is absolutely more reliable than the Yihi chip. I've had a lot of Yihi chip failures and only one DNA chip failure.

Since April 24 2017 I have kept precise track of how much joose I have used. 295 days have passed since then, 1447 ml of joose used, 4.91 ml per day avg, we'll call it 5 ml per day. The interesting thing about this is I use less than I thought I did. Before doing the long-term monitoring, I was guessing that my use was 7 to 10 ml per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread