P4U/ IPV3 150w Owners Discussion / A Place to Discuss Concerns and Performance of the IPV3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaLung22

Moved On
Sep 3, 2014
NY
So I heard the newest versions being shipped out, don't have the charge hole at all?
If so, that's pretty lame - I got mine 2 days ago from eciggity, with the blocked charging hole.. I really wish I could've gotten a version without the touch sensor, and no blocked charge hole. It just looks kinda dumb, 2 parts of the body that don't function. Especially the touch sensor, I'll be upset if they start shipping out ipv's with the touch sensor removed soon!
:facepalm:
Having a little bit of buyers remorse too. This thing is HUGE, I'll never use even half of that power.
... Kinda wishing I got the IPV2S or Sig100 Plus, 70w would have been plenty for me and the Sig looks way nicer IMO (esp w/ the grooves). But I wanted two 18650s, and battery life seems amazing so far. Only a quarter drained after 2 days.. And it is built like a tank!! Seems super accurate too, i'll be even more happy when I upgrade to 0.01ohm accuracy..
I really love my Billow tank on it, this thing is awesome (my 1st RTA!)!

Hopefully I grow to love this IPV more with time. It's just so large, feels like im vaping a brick in my hand.. But now, I just need to figure out how to do a Magnet Upgrade
:p

Last edited:

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
So I heard the newest versions being shipped out, don't have the charge hole at all?
If so, that's pretty lame - I got mine 2 days ago from eciggity, with the blocked charging hole.. I really wish I could've gotten a version without the touch sensor, and no blocked charge hole. It just looks kinda dumb, 2 parts of the body that don't function. Especially the touch sensor, I'll be upset if they start shipping out IPV's with the touch sensor removed soon!
:facepalm:
I got a second ipv3 that arrived just over a week ago -- the charger port is blocked with a superglue attached silver plug, i used a pair of flush-cut wire cutters to get a grip on it and it pulled right off -- then there was the charge port underneath just like my old one.
you don't want to use the built in charger as the only means of charging the batteries though -- and you should monitor the voltages occasionally -- they blocked the charger because it doesn't balance charge and its not safe to charge a series configuration of batteries without balancing them.

I got big hands so the size of it doesn't bother me at all -- the battery life is well worth the size imo

dragonsdeath

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Any one else try the Aspire Atlantis on this thing yet? I grabbed one and love it on my Ipv3. I can go 40w no problem with an 80vg 20pg juice.
It drains the tank quick, but better than trying to drip and drive. I can't believe what I've been missing by using mechs only till getting the ipv3.

Fictitious Character

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2014
USA
Any one else try the Aspire Atlantis on this thing yet? I grabbed one and love it on my Ipv3. I can go 40w no problem with an 80vg 20pg juice.
It drains the tank quick, but better than trying to drip and drive. I can't believe what I've been missing by using mechs only till getting the ipv3.

I have one that is suppose to be here Thursday. I have had the heads for over a week though lol.

jonny45378

ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2014
Arizona
If anyone is still sketchy about the upgrade, I've had it for about 4 days with no issues whatsoever. Not having the issue like the other guy posted where it felt like the ipv was putting out less power after the upgrade. The resistance meter is pretty spot on with it being off around +0.01 ohms. Overall I'm glad I went through with the upgrade.

Got my IPV3 from a Black Friday sale on Eciggity for a ridiculously low price. $107.49 CDN shipped. Everything works great on it so far. I installed the firmware upgrade with no problems. I haven't gone up to 165 watts yet. The highest I've vaped it at is about 120 and that's more than enough for me. The resistance meter is reading pretty accurately -- about 0.02 ohms higher than the resistance meter I have been using up till now. The firmware upgradability, accurate resistance meter and memory settings make this worth the extra money over the Sigelei 100w+ for me, although the magnetic door would be nice to have.

bkkdaytrader

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2013
Thailand
my ipv3 started having problems--extremely eratic ohms readings--then it totally failed showing 0 ohms--i opened it up and fired up and it started with the eratic readings again and smoke and electric smell--this is what i have found-- The 510 wire is extremely twisted and the red wire from charger port is cut up--anyone can give me any advice on what to do? croppedipv3.jpg - Could that cut up red wire be causing the problem? Can I just remove it? I don't usee the charger anyway... Any advice would be cool...

bkkdaytrader

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2013
Thailand
Wires are not supposed to be twisted like that, and issues like yours can arise if they are. That white wire looks like to be twice as long as it needs to be.

I'm a low voltage technician.

Thanks-- What about the red wire that has been partially severed? The white twisted wire is my fault--The 510 connection has a screw that I kept twisting not realizing that it is a spring loaded and should not be screwed---would the twisting cause permanent damage?

Choker

Dec 10, 2013
Texas

I have the same setup as you but I'm doing a 90/10 juice. I love it and yes it drains the tank quick but no biggie. the next thing for me is the magnetic door and maybe a usb evolve charging port instead of the one this comes with. my unit also has the blocked charging hole and the useless touch pad. kinda bummed...it works good but I am thinking about taking it back and getting the ipv2x or the sig100w. idk yet.

Choker

Dec 10, 2013
Texas
Thanks-- What about the red wire that has been partially severed? The white twisted wire is my fault--The 510 connection has a screw that I kept twisting not realizing that it is a spring loaded and should not be screwed---would the twisting cause permanent damage?

you are not the only one with the red wire severed or partial cut. I would think that it could be a fire hazard but im not as educated in this matter as other on the board.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
my ipv3 started having problems--extremely eratic ohms readings--then it totally failed showing 0 ohms--i opened it up and fired up and it started with the eratic readings again and smoke and electric smell--this is what i have found-- The 510 wire is extremely twisted and the red wire from charger port is cut up--anyone can give me any advice on what to do? View attachment 395681 - Could that cut up red wire be causing the problem? Can I just remove it? I don't usee the charger anyway... Any advice would be cool...

its kind of a bummer you took it apart because it might of been something they would of fixed under warranty -- but you can remove the charger board it you dont use it -- the twisted 510 positive wire looks really twisted -- mine wasn't like that when I took my first one apart ... try screwing a atty in and see if that might be the culprit behind whats causing the twist...
if you decide to cut the charger board wires off make sure you cover up any stray wire -- I think they just attach to the positive and ground planes on the circuit board so its a straight connection from your batteries -- you dont want to let those short out...

Hey might be a dumb question.... but did you try to turn the positive pin to adjust it when you got it? cus that would sure cause it to twist like that.... its spring loaded so no need to adjust... plus side is thats probably what conclusion the vendor would of jumped to too so your warranty coverage would of been a fight anyway....

Last edited:

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
I have the same setup as you but I'm doing a 90/10 juice. I love it and yes it drains the tank quick but no biggie. the next thing for me is the magnetic door and maybe a usb evolve charging port instead of the one this comes with. my unit also has the blocked charging hole and the useless touch pad. kinda bummed...it works good but I am thinking about taking it back and getting the ipv2x or the sig100w. idk yet.

USB evolv charger board are for single batteries, not batteries in series -- you are replacing the board but still leaving the core problem -- that's just a waste of time, money, and voiding or your warranty...

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
its kind of a bummer you took it apart because it might of been something they would of fixed under warranty -- but you can remove the charger board it you dont use it -- the twisted 510 positive wire looks really twisted -- mine wasn't like that when I took my first one apart ... try screwing a atty in and see if that might be the culprit behind whats causing the twist...
if you decide to cut the charger board wires off make sure you cover up any stray wire -- I think they just attach to the positive and ground planes on the circuit board so its a straight connection from your batteries -- you dont want to let those short out...

Hey might be a dumb question.... but did you try to turn the positive pin to adjust it when you got it? cus that would sure cause it to twist like that.... its spring loaded so no need to adjust... plus side is thats probably what conclusion the vendor would of jumped to too so your warranty coverage would of been a fight anyway....
He said that he caused the wire to twist because he thought it was adjustable but after a while realized it was spring loaded.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
He said that he caused the wire to twist because he thought it was adjustable but after a while realized it was spring loaded.

Ahh i do indeed see that now... well you probably broke that white wire up with all that twisting -- which increased its resistance -- which is why you are seeing crazy ohm readings -- and that added resistance due to the wire being broken up likely caused enough heat that the red wires insulation got melted some.

you should probably try to replace the white wire -- but i think its going to be a pain in that .... because its soldered to the 510 pin just throw some electric tape arund the red wire -- the charger cables on mine are covered in potting material on the SX330 side -- you don't want to try to remove that black potting material...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread