mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Logic, Pro-Tools or DP?...

Sonar and PT9 here...

Pro Tools 10, Maschine, Serato Scratch Live, and Serato DJ. I think my 2nd and 3rd choices (to replace PT) would be Ableton Live and Reason.

The reason I'm willing to put up with Apple's :censored: is that all of my music gear (including all the computers, drives, software, plugins, virtual synths, etc.) would cost less to replace than buying a decent console that even comes close to the PT mixer and just it's Channel Strip plugin.

Heck, just replacing the DDJ-SX (controller for Serato DJ) with equivalent hardware that doesn't use a computer would cost more than all the computers I've bought in the last decade.

The Provari is not nearly that one-sided of an argument.

Once you allow yourself to let go of your perceived logic and buy a Provari, you will then realize that in the end you got what you paid for. And kick yourself for waiting so long to get it. :D

I did not kick myself for waiting "so long" (6 months or so since I knew vaping was the answer) to buy it. Apart from the fact that I still think the Silver Bullet is prettier, I have no regrets. And I'd still want an Empire no matter how big my stable of PVs was, despite the fact that it's kind of the opposite of practical.

I'm glad I bought it, and my gear lust seems sated for the moment. But it's not like it was life-changing.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Pro Tools 10, Maschine, Serato Scratch Live, and Serato DJ. I think my 2nd and 3rd choices (to replace PT) would be Ableton Live and Reason.

The reason I'm willing to put up with Apple's :censored: is that all of my music gear (including all the computers, drives, software, plugins, virtual synths, etc.) would cost less to replace than buying a decent console that even comes close to the PT mixer and just it's Channel Strip plugin.

Heck, just replacing the DDJ-SX (controller for Serato DJ) with equivalent hardware that doesn't use a computer would cost more than all the computers I've bought in the last decade.

The Provari is not nearly that one-sided of an argument.

I did not kick myself for waiting "so long" (6 months or so since I knew vaping was the answer) to buy it. Apart from the fact that I still think the Silver Bullet is prettier, I have no regrets. And I'd still want an Empire no matter how big my stable of PVs was, despite the fact that it's kind of the opposite of practical.

I'm glad I bought it, and my gear lust seems sated for the moment. But it's not like it was life-changing.

Maybe not life changing but it saved me a ton of cash buying PV's that stopped working after a few weeks.
My Provari has never missed a beat, it's so dependable that I gave away the majority of my backups.

Such a pity it looks like something you'd find in a naughty lady's boudoir - I still love it though.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Such a pity it looks like something you'd find in a naughty lady's boudoir - I still love it though.

It doesn't bother me that it kind of looks like a vibrator. Because if you've ever seen a vibrator, it doesn't actually look like one. And people who've never actually seen one………well, they can judge me all they want. Their opinions don't matter to me. I'm a guy…it's not like I actually use them. But if you're that closed minded, I don't really care what you think.

(disclaimer: general you, not an accusation)

Honestly, the Amigo VV PT probably looks the most like a sex toy to me. None of the big ones actually look like a dong, and they don't look like non-dong-shaped vibrators either.

Maybe not life changing but it saved me a ton of cash buying PV's that stopped working after a few weeks.
My Provari has never missed a beat, it's so dependable that I gave away the majority of my backups.

Also, yeah………the Provari hasn't saved me money yet. But I also bought a lot of cartomator tanks off the classifieds and several boxes of boges to give them another shot at the same time……as well as a carto punch, some SS drip tips, batteries, charger, and something like 200ml of juice. So, it's not the Provari's fault. And I still like the thing.

Also, I had good luck with Twists…so that helped…the one I got in July is still running great. The Spinner–on the other hand–started acting up right before I ordered the Provari…my girlfriend accidentally knocked it out of my hand and it bounced around our kitchen floor.

Coincidentally, she did about the same thing with the Provari about a week later……the difference was that the Provari seems fine. Not even cosmetic damage.

Unfortunately, now I'm down a cartomator tube and a Vivi Nova tube. I really should get around to replacing them, but between cartomators and VNs, I have like 6 tanks running anyway. So, I'm not all that fussed.

qccraig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
I like the battery life I get out my Provari using an 18650 2000 ohm. I wrap my coils around 2.0 ohms and I'm getting 8 to 10 hrs off a single bat. I have a ProBuzz that uses a couple 16350s and I only get about 4 hours. Yes I realize the 16350s only have half the ohms, but it seems I can't get to far away from a charger or a box of batteries. In addition, I like that I don't have to stack batteries in the Provari.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ProBuzz and it is one of the few VV devices that works well with dual coil cartos; although, I have not spent a lot of time using a dual coil carto with the Provari.

It only took me 4-years to pull the plug and buy a Provari. No regrets.

Last edited:

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
It doesn't bother me that it kind of looks like a vibrator. Because if you've ever seen a vibrator, it doesn't actually look like one. And people who've never actually seen one………well, they can judge me all they want. Their opinions don't matter to me. I'm a guy…it's not like I actually use them. But if you're that closed minded, I don't really care what you think.

(disclaimer: general you, not an accusation)

Honestly, the Amigo VV PT probably looks the most like a sex toy to me. None of the big ones actually look like a dong, and they don't look like non-dong-shaped vibrators either.

Also, yeah………the Provari hasn't saved me money yet. But I also bought a lot of cartomator tanks off the classifieds and several boxes of boges to give them another shot at the same time……as well as a carto punch, some SS drip tips, batteries, charger, and something like 200ml of juice. So, it's not the Provari's fault. And I still like the thing.

Also, I had good luck with Twists…so that helped…the one I got in July is still running great. The Spinner–on the other hand–started acting up right before I ordered the Provari…my girlfriend accidentally knocked it out of my hand and it bounced around our kitchen floor.

Coincidentally, she did about the same thing with the Provari about a week later……the difference was that the Provari seems fine. Not even cosmetic damage.

Unfortunately, now I'm down a cartomator tube and a Vivi Nova tube. I really should get around to replacing them, but between cartomators and VNs, I have like 6 tanks running anyway. So, I'm not all that fussed.

How are you finding the menu system?
I remember you saying you thought it was a pain.

tizz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
wv
I like the battery life I get out my Provari using an 18650 2000 ohm. I wrap my coils around 2.0 ohms and I'm getting 8 to 10 hrs off a single bat. I have a ProBuzz that uses a couple 16350s and I only get about 4 hours. Yes I realize the 16350s only have half the ohms, but it seems I can't get to far away from a charger or a box of batteries. In addition, I like that I don't have to stack batteries in the Provari.

Don't get me wrong, I love my ProBuzz and it is one of the few VV devices that works well with dual coil cartos; although, I have not spent a lot of time using a dual coil carto with the Provari.

It only took me 4-years to pull the plug and buy a Provari. No regrets.

i think you mean mAh, not ohms..ohms is a measure of electrical resistance.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
How are you finding the menu system?
I remember you saying you thought it was a pain.

I still think it's a pain in the ....

I wish that they did it a different way, as I'm kind of annoyed pretty much every time I interact with it. But it's a much milder annoyance than I thought……the best way I can put it is that it's like a cute puppy eating the next piece of bacon you wanted as opposed to the last piece.

You love* him either way. You're going to be mad either way. But you probably only scold him for one…for the other, you just laugh and lovingly call him a dirty word. It kinda feels like that.

It's happened at least once that I had something at like 2.8 ohms on it and I decided I wanted a flavor that was in a tank with a 2ohm coil in it. Rather than taking the time to change it from ~6V to ~4.5V, I just pulled one of my twists out of a drawer. And the menu system shouldn't cause those kinds of choices. It should get out of the way better. But it seems like the advantages outweigh that one huge oversight for now.

And fortunately, it hasn't burned up a coil in my pocket yet, because I don't think I've ever turned it off. That's way too much of a PITA to even consider.

As I said, "best" does not imply "good." But it might still be the best… for me…right now.

("like" is a more appropriate word for the Provari……Puppies have souls).

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
The more I search for a highly affordable, accurate, and well built mod with replaceable batteries ... the more I realize they don't exists.

Atleast the Provari provides accuracy and build quality. I just find it hard to justify spending that kind of coin on a device that at its core function, sends electricity to a heating coil to create vapor. Even if I feel it will be worth it in the end, my mind asks me "... are you thinking?"

I mean sheesh ... with $200 I can practically build a PC tower these days ... that does a heck of a lot more than heat a dang coil at multiple voltages.

Same goes for these $50-$120 Chinese mods. While they are much cheaper ... they tend to be inaccurate and have durability issues. Why would I pay $50-$120 on something that isn't accurate and/or has a tendency to break?

The first company who decides to provide a low cost, accurate, and well built mod that isn't marked up like crazy is going to gain a HUGE market share in this industry in the future.

I was down to the Zmax & Provari and the few bad things I read about the Zmax instantly had me against ordering it. And when you look at price, the Provari standard body is only $30 more than the Zmax. That $30 I feel is worth it for the long run.

It just seems to me that the technology and production costs can't seem to come down enough to build a reliable, accurate, inexpensive device yet.

But being on my 3rd eGo, 4th ecig all together, I'm already half way to the cost of a Provari and these will eventually all die and stop working. Not to mention they aren't the strongest of devices, having had to repair my first twist numerous times and all it ever had happen was a few drops from lap height.

Zack nash

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
United States
I was down to the Zmax & Provari and the few bad things I read about the Zmax instantly had me against ordering it. And when you look at price, the Provari standard body is only $30 more than the Zmax. That $30 I feel is worth it for the long run.

It just seems to me that the technology and production costs can't seem to come down enough to build a reliable, accurate, inexpensive device yet.

But being on my 3rd eGo, 4th ecig all together, I'm already half way to the cost of a Provari and these will eventually all die and stop working. Not to mention they aren't the strongest of devices, having had to repair my first twist numerous times and all it ever had happen was a few drops from lap height.

Over the last year I spent more then a Provari cost on crappy e-cigs from gas stations and still smoked, didn't stop until I got a ego and while a ego battery is decent and works... Mine are going down now, have to charge every two hours and other problems.

manifestgtr

Mar 27, 2011
lowell mass
What do you can't afford one ? With the money saved from not buying smokes,should be plenty left.

it doesn't exactly work that way all the time

once I stopped buying cigarettes, I had money for a bunch of new shiny things that I didn't need...I'm sure there are others here who did/do the same

I've since calmed down with that

sgenn99

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2012
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Bingo!
I have gone from a standard ego battery all the way up to the ProVari since I started vaping in july. In between, I accumulated a pair of twists, a lava tube knock off, a mini yj lavatube, an apollo mini vtube, a vmax, a mechanical udt v6, and an innokin mvp (still waiting for that one to arrive). I also have a huge box or two of all kinds of cartos and tanks, clearomizers, atty heads, etc. Not to mention the juice...good lord!
It is a pricy hobby, but once you figure out what works for you, and once you find your juice, the rest is just for pleasure and experimentation. I have finally tapered off the impulse buying and am honing in on what I like. But it took a few months of trial and error. However, even with all the extra crap I have and won't use, I look at it as the spoils of war. I kicked a 25 year smoking habit, and I found a cool new hobby.

guitarman023

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Marietta, Ohio
for me, I just don't find them aesthetically pleasing, they kinda look like a ribbed pleasure device. I don't like the slanted top on them either, they look funny with any genesis atty besides the ZAP on them. My pv's are all stainless steel/aluminum. I have ADOS (attention defecit.... ooooh shiny!) The only provari that got my attention was the chrome one. lol I found that even on a VV device I still settled in at 4v which is what a charged 3.7v is. VV just wasn't for me.

Last edited:

Riverboat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2012
Arizona
for me, I just don't find them aesthetically pleasing, they kinda look like a ribbed pleasure device. I don't like the slanted top on them either, they look funny with any genesis atty besides the ZAP on them. My pv's are all stainless steel/aluminum. I have ADOS (attention defecit.... ooooh shiny!) The only provari that got my attention was the chrome one. lol I found that even on a VV device I still settled in at 4v which is what a charged 3.7v is. VV just wasn't for me.

I have a couple of SuperT mods that I love, but for performance you just cant beat a Provari... Besides being able to adjust your voltage for your sweet spot, it gives you the same vape through out the battery charge... Consistancy is what its all about-hit after hit....

I think a lot of people don't like the Provari because of the "snob" appeal of the device. Personally I don't have anything against it except the price. There are other devices out there that perform just as well, if not better, but some Provari users look down at them. It's just like the Chinese clones of the Did, many people, myself included, were very happy to see an affordable genesis style rta. However there are some people who wouldn't dare use a cheap knockoff and are very critical of the device. It's this being looked down on that has made many people feel the way they do about about the Provari and several other high end devices.

Lbox88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
West Michigan

I like the way my dud looks on mine.

IMG_20121030_222355_707.jpg

I think a lot of people don't like the Provari because of the "snob" appeal of the device. Personally I don't have anything against it except the price. There are other devices out there that perform just as well, if not better, but some Provari users look down at them. It's just like the Chinese clones of the Did, many people, myself included, were very happy to see an affordable genesis style rta. However there are some people who wouldn't dare use a cheap knockoff and are very critical of the device. It's this being looked down on that has made many people feel the way they do about about the Provari and several other high end devices.

And I think the Dud is pretty awesome for the price! Had a guru even tell me it was a pretty dang decent vape for only $25

IMG_20121028_021431_563.jpg
[/img]

DSCF1296.jpg

bk78

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012

Which ones perform better? With the same constant voltage the provari gives?

SethGrimm

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
Two reasons.

They profess an avid distaste for conformity. Yes, believe it or not teenagers aren't the only ones who do that.

Another one being more common is jealousy. If one can't afford an object they usually rather convince themselves and others that said object is silly and overrated.

I personally don't like the iPhone because android devices such as my galaxy s3 are ages ahead in it's features and are way more customizable. I have legitimate reasons. But I can't tell you how many people I know who have razr flip phones and bash the iPhone because they truly want one. They have no knowledge of technology but pretend to know all about the said device so they can openly profess a pseudo-dislike for it when in reality they just can't afford it.

*Disclaimer* The only thing that matters is what's keeping you off burning paper and tobacco. Even if that be the god awful prosmoke or blu. Some people genuinely don't need a super nice quality american made VV ohm checking device. That's fine too. But the moment you start bringing up imagined faults in the Provari that don't exist, your reasoning for hating the device is shallow.

Ps. I can't afford the Provari either. I'm a college student. Lol I'm just lucky enough to have a mother who understands my dying want for a Provari mini and has been hinting she's getting me one this Christmas. Haha. It's ego twist vaping until then.

None the less, haters exist everywhere. Just enjoy your Provari!

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
I don't know, maybe I haven't been around enough to say, but I really think the premise of this thread is a bit of a straw man. I really don't see many Provari "haters".

I do see some that for whatever reason, don't put it on the same pedestal as the Provari lovers. Some don't like the looks, some don't like regulated mods, some like box mods or bottom feeders. I don't believe that there are many that "hate" the device.

Many, I think like to find what they think will be "steals" and "just as good as a provari" but cost less, even if they end up spending more on several failures or near misses without ever finding the same quality and reliability of a Provari

Some just like trying a bunch of different, new stuff, trying to find that diamond in the rough because finding that is somehow more rewarding to them than taking the "easy" way and buying the device that everyone knows is a rock solid winner. This is sort of the attitude of someone who would restore an old sports sedan instead of buying a new Lexus. The Lexus, while a superior auto, just seems more superficial somehow.

I do think that some of the Provari faithful can be sort of obnoxious about it at times, so when they are being obnoxious, they may mistake the reaction they get as hate toward the device, when more likely it is a reaction to the obnoxiousness.

Anyway that is my 2 cents. Myself, I don't hate Provari. I would like to have one someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread