Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Probably because the display isn't accurate to vRMS.

These PWM mods usually aren't filtered and supply a pretty dirty non-sinusoidal waveform to the atomizer. I've not tested this particular unit, so I can't say for sure. But regardless of the technical truth- the display is probably just off by a few 10ths of a volt.

Past zmax/vmax revisions were off by as much as .7 volts (Or more). The Imotion2 V+ is the same.

Hmmm. I've measured the voltage with my multimeter and it's always within .1 volts throughout the range. Beats me.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Hmmm. I've measured the voltage with my multimeter and it's always within .1 volts throughout the range. Beats me.

Then- either your multimeter is not capable of accurately reading PWM. Or there's another variable. The wave form might have soemthing to do with it if the leading edge of the wave is quite high. Like I mentioned... I've not played with the mod you mentioned.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Then- either your multimeter is not capable of accurately reading PWM. Or there's another variable. The wave form might have soemthing to do with it if the leading edge of the wave is quite high. Like I mentioned... I've not played with the mod you mentioned.

At $19.95, I'm surprised my MM can measure anything. :)

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
I can't believe I read this whole thread. Maybe I just like the discussion huh?

There can be criticisms laid at any of these devices. But they all vape, and vape an order of magnitude better than the equipment on the market when I started vaping. So regarding the OP, when people get to "fanboish" I write it off to not really knowing what they are doing or lack of critical thinking.

The Provari is a formidable PV, and if you have the money it's a no brainer. But that's coming from a guy with two Lavatubes (Black and Pink), three kicks (Telescope, Empire Mod, and Bombshell Stinger), an Imotion2 V+, Provari, and a zmax v2 (RMS Version) in my "regulated collection".

The Imotion2 V+ is pretty much the only price/performance dud (My opinion). Haven't used the new zmax yet... but we'll see.

I did a three part series on regulated vaping a while ago which might interest some people watching this topic. The second two segments are perhaps germain to this discussion:

Regulated Vaping: Lavatube/Provari/Darwin/Kick (part 2) - YouTube

Regulated Vaping: Lavatube/Provari/Darwin/Kick (part 3) - YouTube

Nice, pretty much mirrors my opinion. Even the appreciation of the beautiful spring day!

Lbox88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
West Michigan
This is extremely interesting to me as another forum that I am a part of we are not allowed to do vs. threads. It has been found that there are so many variables in taste of tools and equipment that if someone has a budget and would like help, we may suggest a variety of brands and specific models to fit within that, but there may be no comparisons directly between 2 items since, well, the fanboys come out of the woodwork lol.

qccraig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Eh don't sweat people hating on the provari. I love mine. I also own a mechanical mod I love as well. No need to let people get you down for making an investment with a degree of future proofing over a disposable battery tube.

I agree totally. I like my Provari but I was vaping 3-years before I bought one. I like my collection of mechanical mods too. Frankly, I don't think Provari is that expensive as compared to a Saber, Pure Smoker and even a Silver Bullet. Maybe it is the name, it sounds foreign even though they're American made.

Adam the Aussie

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2011
Australia
I don't think there's a hatred of the ProVari itself. The way I see it, and this isn't aimed at ProVari owners alone, I'm more than happy for people who own a certain product to let everyone know how good, bad or indifferent it is, it is when they start bagging other products that they've never owned that I start to get a little annoyed.

I don't own a ProVari, nothing to do with price, I own a few APV's in a similar or higher price bracket, I just prefer variable wattage. At the end of the day, we should contribute what we know, and leave what we don't know to someone else.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If I had ordered my Provari first, I would have probably never thought about anything else. It's that consistent and reliable.

It's not something that you HAVE to have, it's just well made and has great electronics with good current handling capability and precise regulation of the voltage you set. Mine has rolled out of the car numerous times onto concrete and you have to look really close to see a tiny scratch on it. Stainless steel beats aluminum any day.

I spent a good deal of money trying various ecigs and that amount would have bought me a Provari had I known what I'd like best. I have plenty of backups now, anyway, and everyone needs a backup!

Last edited:

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
I'd say most people hate the Provari as they view the device (and it's users) as being elitist.
I bought a Provari because of it's reliability and accuracy, not because I'm elitist - most other folks own them for the same reason.

Being honest with you, the Provari looks pretty much like a dildo and I couldn't "show off" with it if I tried.
However, it does do exactly what is supposed to at all times. It just works.

If you don't like Provari's or have no interest in them - don't buy one.

Simple as that.

Last edited:

manifestgtr

Mar 27, 2011
lowell mass
I always found it to be kind of weird that some people consider the provari to be overpriced

you wanna talk overpriced? how about those carts at the mall that sell you a rebranded mini kit for $150 then have the nerve to charge you $20 for a pack of cartridges and $30 for a new atomizer

for about the price that hundreds of people spend on that crap every day, you can buy an incredibly well made, cutting edge device that will last years and years

I think it's these people who have to subvert the dominant paradigm at all costs...if something is considered to be a benchmark, they feel the need to try and turn others against it

just my thoughts

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I always found it to be kind of weird that some people consider the provari to be overpriced.

For about the price that hundreds of people spend on that crap every day, you can buy an incredibly well made, cutting edge device that will last years and years.

I think it's these people who have to subvert the dominant paradigm at all costs...if something is considered to be a benchmark, they feel the need to try and turn others against it.
Not sure what that means, but I think I agree with you. :blush:

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
The more I search for a highly affordable, accurate, and well built mod with replaceable batteries ... the more I realize they don't exists.

Atleast the Provari provides accuracy and build quality. I just find it hard to justify spending that kind of coin on a device that at its core function, sends electricity to a heating coil to create vapor. Even if I feel it will be worth it in the end, my mind asks me "... are you thinking?"

I mean sheesh ... with $200 I can practically build a PC tower these days ... that does a heck of a lot more than heat a dang coil at multiple voltages.

Same goes for these $50-$120 Chinese mods. While they are much cheaper ... they tend to be inaccurate and have durability issues. Why would I pay $50-$120 on something that isn't accurate and/or has a tendency to break?

The first company who decides to provide a low cost, accurate, and well built mod that isn't marked up like crazy is going to gain a HUGE market share in this industry in the future.

Last edited:

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Can this not be put to rest. We all have different opinions. I drive a Chrysler. I own a BMW. Someone else has a Chevy or a Ford or whatever. I did order a Provari the other night. I've looked at lots of devices before I punched the button. The PresisePlus has a warenty that makes Provari look week. Every one is only after ONE thing. To stay off the analogs. I hope we can all agree with this. I've got lots of devices. They all do the exact same thing. I use each one in turn. Lets just agree that different opinions are what makes this forum great. I was on a thread the other night that got shut down by a Moderator because ONE person was condeming everyone else that didn't think his/her way. Lets just hold hands and share our experiences and failures. Help each other. That's what we're her for. Sorry for intruding.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I think it's these people who have to subvert the dominant paradigm at all costs...if something is considered to be a benchmark, they feel the need to try and turn others against it

As an Apple user and new Provari owner, I see a lot of similarities. The choice to go Apple for me is more clear cut, as it's really my only option (I have to be able to run real audio software, and I will not–under any circumstances–run Windows on a computer I own).

That being said, Provape's longevity scares me a lot less than Apple's longevity (for what I want).

Can this not be put to rest…Lets just hold hands and share our experiences and failures. Help each other. That's what we're her for. Sorry for intruding.

Awesome.

Soundhunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Love Field
As an Apple user and new Provari owner, I see a lot of similarities. The choice to go Apple for me is more clear cut, as it's really my only option (I have to be able to run real audio software, and I will not–under any circumstances–run Windows on a computer I own).

That being said, Provape's longevity scares me a lot less than Apple's longevity (for what I want).

Awesome.

Logic, Pro-Tools or DP?...

Sonar and PT9 here...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The more I search for a highly affordable, accurate, and well built mod with replaceable batteries ... the more I realize they don't exist.

Atleast the Provari provides accuracy and build quality. I just find it hard to justify spending that kind of coin on a device that at its core function, sends electricity to a heating coil to create vapor. Even if I feel it will be worth it in the end, my mind asks me "... are you thinking?"
Once you allow yourself to let go of your perceived logic and buy a Provari, you will then realize that in the end you got what you paid for. And kick yourself for waiting so long to get it. :D

I mean sheesh ... with $200 I can practically build a PC tower these days ... that does a heck of a lot more than heat a dang coil at multiple voltages.
How long will that PC tower keep you off the cigs? ;)

Same goes for these $50-$120 Chinese mods. While they are much cheaper ... they tend to be inaccurate and have durability issues. Why would I pay $50-$120 on something that isn't accurate and/or has a tendency to break?
Provape: "You can pay me now, or pay me later." :sneaky:

The first company who decides to provide a low cost, accurate, and well built mod that isn't marked up like crazy is going to gain a HUGE market share in this industry in the future.
Don't hold your breath waiting for that one. :ohmy:

Just mess'n wit ya and hav'n sum fun, tc. :laugh: This is a friendly debate, at least that is how I see it. Whatever can keep you off the smokes. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread