Status
Not open for further replies.

mostapha

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2012
Atlanta, GA
this thread has been very informative about which posters are clueless so I can be sure not to follow their recommendations in the future.
that is certainly the case.

I think most of the "haters" you refer to hate the "fanboys" more than the actual device itself.

I disagree.

Provari fanboys take criticisms of their device as criticisms on their intelligence. There was an article not too long ago that I read somewhere about how the phone wars (iOS vs. Android) have escalated to the point that it's all about defending your device from an onslaught of criticism from the other side just because of how much money is involved in the choice (contract fees, device fees, app fees, accessories, etc.) and how making that basic iOS vs. Android choice effectively limits you to one world or the other.

Neither is better/worse. They just have different priorities, therefore different strengths and shortcomings. I've had iPhones since the 3g came out. And my next phone might be an Android. Why? IDK. They do the same thing. And they both do it very well. And they've both got the huge shortcoming of touch screens, which means they're both going to piss me off to no end.

Side note: I really want to skull-:censored: the guy who invented touch screens. Those :censored; abortions of a bad idea are a horrendous plight on modern UI development, and it's going to be decades before people figure out how to make a touchscreen UI that doesn't absolutely suck donkey nuts……for me. But, then, I don't use a mouse to browse the web. I'm kind of attached to keyboards. And having something that calls itself a computer that doesn't use a keyboard is kind of foreign to me.

Anyway, the point is that Provari fanboys take any criticism of their device personally because it insults their decision making skills. These things (phones and computers included) are so expensive……and require such dedication (less so with PVs) in the form of add-ons that making one decision carries more weight than just that one decision would ordinarily imply.

I don't hate the Provari fanboys. I don't hate the Provari. I never did. I do wish there was something better.

I spent months making fun of it, trying to get responses out of people. I finally used one, and you know what I discovered? The menu system is just as bad as I thought it would be. It seems well made, but not that pretty. It's almost too heavy. And I'm not a huge fan of the button.

It also gives a really consistent vape. And for somebody who remembers numbers and is getting into rebuilding coils, it has a good set of features. And unlike the Kick, it'll go higher than 10w…and is easier to adjust. And unlike the Darwin, it's actually available……and not a tire gauge.

I'm sure something better will come out. I'm sure that menu system will cause small headaches (akin to being mad at a puppy who ate the piece of bacon you wanted……not he last piece, just the most delicious looking one).

But, my Provari's in the mail.

And when something better comes out, it'll be in the classifieds.

It's just a fracking tool. Just like an iPhone, a Nexus, a Macbook Pro, or a Thinkpad.

Insult the device, not the people. And if they take it wrong, well………they're no different than the Windows users who find it offensive that I pay a premium not to use software that they don't even think about.

And no, I'm not an Apple fanboy. I just hate using Windows. If it weren't for Apple, I wouldn't be using computers for music, which would make my life a LOT more expensive.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Baditude, You really know how to take criticism :) Have you considered trying a LT? I'd suggest it as a back up, but it sounds like you may have your Provari for a loong time. ;):laugh:
Thanks, but I must confess that I nearly responded to the posters that constructively criticized me for what I considered to be an honest and unbiased opinion. Each time I thought it best to simply thank them for their perspective.

I really did try to make an effort to provide information that I believe would be of some help to someone who might be weighing the options between a Lava Tube and a Provari. Not only did I provide information quoted from the Provape site about their Accuset microprocessor, the rest of the information on both devices was what I would consider to be common knowledge taken from reading hundreds of threads by owners of both devices on ECF. But, there were a few who responded here in this thread that my comments were swayed one way and I have to respect their perspective and constructive criticism.

I already own an Altsmoke Silver Bullet and BB, and a couple of Smokeless Image X2 batteries for use as backups. I'm sure that a Lava Tube would make someone a fine primary or backup device.

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der
Thank you for your honest perspective. I do appreciate all viewpoints. That was the point of this thread.

first off,let me apologize for allowing myself to wonder into off topic discussions in your thread brought on by haters and trolls

i did state my experience with the two in question ,

i have since went and remove all of my off topic posts that i possible could and replaced it with this:
removed by OP because it was off topic

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I think, regarding the OP, that it was about one person in a thread. One person doesn't equal a lot of "haters". There may be some, but I think a number of people have pointed out why there are some reactions, and that its not usually about the devices but some of the owners.

I think any manufacturer should be open to how they can develop and improve, and we are seeing all kinds of new developments because manufacturers aren't stopping at their last device. For example, vv was added to Egos. I have never preferred vv, but some people do. Thanks to forward thinking there is now an entry level vv device that many vapers use. And on the heels of that other entry level vv devices appeared that added improvements.

I see the same thing with the Provari. I think it is a compliment that people say they'd look at buying one if it has vw. When quite a few people express that preference its worthwhile for a manufacturer to consider it.

For some people number accuracy is important, but for others it isn't because they just dial or click low to high and know where they like it. Neither preference is wrong or superior to the other. As some-one has said, these are just tools.

The provari is not an all things to all device. Neither is the Darwin, or the Zmax, or the lavatube, or the silver bullet, or the telescope mod... . No one device is all things to all.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I think, regarding the OP, that it was about one person in a thread. One person doesn't equal a lot of "haters". There may be some, but I think a number of people have pointed out why there are some reactions, and that its not usually about the devices but some of the owners.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this. There basically was just the one poster who in that thread made the offensive comments.

There have been some recent threads here, though, that seem to bring out the Provari haters the most. It is usually the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/variable-voltage-apv-discussion/336957-clash-titans-zmax-provari.html type threads that ask for a comparison between the newest VV or VW device vs the Provari. Or someone will describe a device as the Provari-killer. I guess topics like this will just naturally bring out the extremes of opinions and when all is said and done I guess its not such a big deal. The sparring back and forth can be kinda fun as long as it doesn't start to get personal. Where I tend to draw the line is when false information is presented as factual information.

I really don't care what device a person uses. As long as they are happy and it keeps them from smoking, all is good. :vapor:

thinkingaboutit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
mn
I'm not reading all of this. Besides, my provari us at home on the dresser while I try this zmax out.

And you know what? Once I leave this forum NO ONE knows the difference. I buy my devices for me. If I didn't buy X I wouldn't know that Y was better or worse.

Gotta go...I saw someone ask about an 808 battery and I am going to put together a $1000 shopping list for them

Edit-congrats mostapha. I KNOW you thought your purchase out more than most. I hope you enjoy it.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I can't believe I read this whole thread. Maybe I just like the discussion huh?

There can be criticisms laid at any of these devices. But they all vape, and vape an order of magnitude better than the equipment on the market when I started vaping. So regarding the OP, when people get to "fanboish" I write it off to not really knowing what they are doing or lack of critical thinking.

The Provari is a formidable PV, and if you have the money it's a no brainer. But that's coming from a guy with two Lavatubes (Black and Pink), three kicks (Telescope, Empire Mod, and Bombshell Stinger), an Imotion2 V+, Provari, and a zmax v2 (RMS Version) in my "regulated collection".

The Imotion2 V+ is pretty much the only price/performance dud (My opinion). Haven't used the new zmax yet... but we'll see.

I did a three part series on regulated vaping a while ago which might interest some people watching this topic. The second two segments are perhaps germain to this discussion:

Regulated Vaping: Lavatube/Provari/Darwin/Kick (part 2) - YouTube

Regulated Vaping: Lavatube/Provari/Darwin/Kick (part 3) - YouTube

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I can't believe I read this whole thread. Maybe I just like the discussion huh?

There can be criticisms laid at any of these devices. But they all vape, and vape an order of magnitude better than the equipment on the market when I started vaping. So regarding the OP, when people get to "fanboish" I write it off to not really knowing what they are doing or lack of critical thinking.

The Provari is a formidable PV, and if you have the money it's a no brainer. But that's coming from a guy with two Lavatubes (Black and Pink), three kicks (Telescope, Empire Mod, and Bombshell Stinger), an Imotion2 V+, Provari, and a zmax v2 (RMS Version) in my "regulated collection".

The Imotion2 V+ is pretty much the only price/performance dud (My opinion). Haven't used the new zmax yet... but we'll see.

I did a three part series on regulated vaping a while ago which might interest some people watching this topic. The second two segments are perhaps germain to this discussion:

Regulated Vaping: Lavatube/Provari/Darwin/Kick (part 2) - YouTube

Regulated Vaping: Lavatube/Provari/Darwin/Kick (part 3) - YouTube

Cozz, you vape at lower watts than most I'd say. I'm not far from you either as I generally prefer lower wattage vaping. Question: do you find you vape a variety of juices at 6.3 watts or do you have some juices you vape at higher or lower watts? If you do, what do you attribute it to?

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
Cozz, you vape at lower watts than most I'd say. I'm not far from you either as I generally prefer lower wattage vaping. Question: do you find you vape a variety of juices at 6.3 watts or do you have some juices you vape at higher or lower watts? If you do, what do you attribute it to?

Everything is around that area. There are instances where a carto is wonky out of the box and I can push it up to 5 volts (3.0 ohms). I'd say my true wattage range is about 6 to 7. Some juices seem to run closer to 7.

I'm not a big fan of heat. So the advantage of these devices, for me, is tweaking and hit consistency.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Everything is around that area. There are instances where a carto is wonky out of the box and I can push it up to 5 volts (3.0 ohms). I'd say my true wattage range is about 6 to 7. Some juices seem to run closer to 7.

I'm not a big fan of heat. So the advantage of these devices, for me, is tweaking and hit consistency.

The longer I vape, the more I realize I prefer it cooler. I get more flavor from the juice.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

And Cozz, since you seem to be on top of this stuff...I went to a Young June Lavatube just a few weeks back. It uses pulse modulation. Why am I using less volts on average? And I mean .2 - .6 volts less with consistency. Thanks.

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
And Cozz, since you seem to be on top of this stuff...I went to a Young June Lavatube just a few weeks back. It uses pulse modulation. Why am I using less volts on average? And I mean .2 - .6 volts less with consistency. Thanks.

Probably because the display isn't accurate to vRMS.

These PWM mods usually aren't filtered and supply a pretty dirty non-sinusoidal waveform to the atomizer. I've not tested this particular unit, so I can't say for sure. But regardless of the technical truth- the display is probably just off by a few 10ths of a volt.

Past zmax/vmax revisions were off by as much as .7 volts (Or more). The Imotion2 V+ is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread