Stop the presses, new lavatube 3.0 is about to hit with a 4 amp limit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bald_d

Verified Member
Jul 17, 2011
Sacramento
Hi everybody, I have been lurking and very much enjoying the lively discussion in this thread!

I have a question regarding the definition of the low voltage 5 click problem.

The problem as I understand it, is that when the unit is supposed to be off after 5 clicks, a subsequent button press turns the unit back on.

My question - is the carto receiving power without pressing the vape button or is the unit drawing power without the vape button being activated? Or is the problem that the button can be activated accidentally in a purse or laying on a table.

Is there a hazard to the unit when the vape button is not being activated?

I have read so much here, I think I have confused myself, lol.

Thank you all in advance for your assistance.

tinstar15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Lakeland, FL
So far as I can tell, it only delivers power if the fire button is held or pressed in 'zombie mode'. I've been using mine often for a while now with nothing to make me worry about it. I don't take the battery out or anything either. I might be tempting fate but I doubt it. Only thing I do is make sure it's really off after 5 clicks. Aside from that, I treat it like any other device.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
lol I've finally out grown having to entertain the ladies and that is why I have money to buy plenty of PV's. I still love socializing with the ladies but I just don't wine and dine them nowdays. My 70's are turning out to be an interesting decade so far now that I can breathe again.
:tumble:

With you Tex, except for socializing with the ladies, that's how I got in trouble in the past. :)

Errol

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
bald_d, the issue that caused CCV to finally call it dangerous was it starting to smoke when sitting on a desk after being used. It was on, but it wasn't unattended for very long before it experienced melt-down.

The power-down "zombie low-voltage mode" glitch would be serious only if the fire button were inadvertently pressed and then continued to be activated for quite awhile, which would require a fair amount of external force to be applied to the switch. Just having the unit in a pocket pressed up against something might conceivably activate the fire button for a second or two, but the odds of serious damage through extended firing would be extremely slim.

What happened to the v1.5 unit being used by Andrew Watkins, the owner of CrystalClearVaping, was different and more dangerous. Andrew had been vaping the Vtube, put it down on the table, and walked out of the room. One of the three chips on the regulator board suddenly shorted out against the grounded case. This caused the regulator board to fry and the unit to fire by itself (and keep firing), heating up the carto rapidly. By the time Andrew walked back into the room, the carto was hot enough to be smoking, and smoke was also coming from inside the case through the three small holes around the power, voltage-up, and voltage-down buttons. At least, this is what we are led to understand.

Apparently at least some of built-in protections worked, since the battery didn't overheat or burst. So, the failure wasn't as bad as it could have been. Andrew immediately stopped selling his remaining stock of V1.5s, however.

We are told that Young June's distributor reps subsequently told vendors that this major design flaw of possible chip shorting was corrected after the first production run, and that all subsequent v1.5 and v1.5t units are safe. The more recent units of those versions continue to have the power-down zombie low-voltage mode glitch, but they won't meltdown and fire on their own. In other words, the serious glitch was fixed, but the not-so-serious glitch remains.

Will the new v2.0 chrome-plated version from Young June (with the 4.0 amp limit and the eGo-style top connector with a spring-loaded positive pin) still have that power-down glitch? I don't know. We'll soon find out, though, since CCV expects a shipment of those v2.0 chromes to arrive any day now as exchange/replacements for customer who purchased the defective v1.5s.

queerchameleon

Verified Member
May 20, 2012
ohio
Update it seems CCV has given up on getting them from China an now is offering a full refund. So it looks like no one is going to be carrying the V2 for quite some time. I couldn't wait any longer I went ahead an got the chrome V1 from apollo with that nice 30% off sale there running. So hopefully that will tide me over till either someone starts carrying a V2 or I just break down an buy a Provari.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Will the new v2.0 chrome-plated version from Young June (with the 4.0 amp limit and the eGo-style top connector with a spring-loaded positive pin) still have that power-down glitch? I don't know. We'll soon find out, though, since CCV expects a shipment of those v2.0 chromes to arrive any day now as exchange/replacements for customer who purchased the defective v1.5s.

Does anyone know for sure the new v2 will be a 4amp unit? I haven't seen that mentioned except as speculation.

Just got my V-Max 4amp unit and it vapes well with my high demand units but changing the voltage or any other menu item such as Ohm reading is a PITA so I am looking forward to a 4amp unit with easy voltage and menu options like the LT by any name.

Errol

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
I just emailed Andrew at CCV and opted for the refund on my v1.5. I'm happy with both my v1.5t units (Vector VV and Varitube X), and I'd rather wait and see how the chrome v2.0 shakes out---whether Young June does indeed raise the amp limit to 4.0 and fix the power-off glitch. Anyway, I'm not 100% certain that I even want a chrome Vtube. Both my black ones seem sturdy enough to me, and I like the lack of bling in the matte finish.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Errol
Does the LT batteries work in the V max ? I have A total of ten 18650. If not can you recommend a flashlight that used 18650 :laugh:

No they won't. The Vmax has a low voltage shutdown at somewhere in the 5v or 6v range so a 4v battery wouldn't do any good.

For an inexpensive VV PV you simply can't beat the eGo-Twist. I have the 650mah and it is one of the nicest little VV units in my collection and can be bought for $21 at
http://www.mikeusa.com/Joye_Ego__Ego_T__Ego_C-list.aspx?AffiliateCode=3186750710

Errol

Last edited:

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
btw, you all looking for bolts... friend of mine Cowboy Cru just got one for $30 at surevape. They have chrome and a gorgeous gunmetal metal body, both have matching extenders avail, for $30!

They also have 5 packs of 5 boge, in reg or XL, 2 or 3ohm, for $23, or 5 packs of 1.7ohm smoktech single coils for $32. They don't have a lot, but what they've got is cheap! AND the guy is gonna start carrying my smoktech super shortys for me in the deal! ;)
Welcome to Sure Vapes LLC !

and the 1.7ohm smok resurrectors would be killer with it.

and then he got a kick for it at electronicstix.com, but don't know if they're sold out or not. Was like 2 days ago.

Last edited:

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
I just emailed Andrew at CCV and opted for the refund on my v1.5. I'm happy with both my v1.5t units (Vector VV and Varitube X), and I'd rather wait and see how the chrome v2.0 shakes out---whether Young June does indeed raise the amp limit to 4.0 and fix the power-off glitch. Anyway, I'm not 100% certain that I even want a chrome Vtube. Both my black ones seem sturdy enough to me, and I like the lack of bling in the matte finish.

I'd save yourself the trouble and wait for the true V3 from LRIDER in august. At least we know their stated specs are accurate for the most part. And they've got a track record, whereas these new guys... man... lotsa issues, and lotsa misstated specs, but that's just me thinking.

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
Rick at VaporAlley has the mini Lava V1, 1.5 and V2 on sale at great prices. V2.0 Tube Only (3 Amp Circuit) I have the mini lava 1 and the 1.5. They have both worked great for me. He has some good charts on tests that have been ran on these. :)

Hows the battery life on those?? I heard not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread