◄ Honest Questions About PureSmokers Future ►

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
Steve, just do what you need to do to stay in business and be here for us. That alone is worth the extra costs for us on this end. We all KNOW you aren't trying to screw the customer over and you have the customer's best interest always there, as proven with your outstanding customer service. We know you are always fair. So don't fret! Do what you have to do.

I think the PS line is more for the veteran vapers. It takes time to figure out what combination of equipment and juice works best. Veteran vapers would probably be more inclined to pay more, especially with the reputation you have built in the community.

That said, how would it affect your business to extend the warranty to 12 months with the price increase or is that really feasible given the material and manufacturing process?

Regardless....I'd still buy one because I know they work and I know you stand behind your products.

nevergonnaleavetn

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2009
I don't mind paying more for USA made products especially products made in the great state of Tennessee :) as long as I have the funds available and I don't feel like I'm getting taken advantage of.
I also knew that if a problem developed you or Casey would take care of it in a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable fee to send it back.

I personally could not understand how you could make the Passthrough for the price you charged so that change doesn't surprise me. I have never been interested in 5v vaping so I never bought one but I was tempted many times just because of the price. After reading many reviews about the quality I think the new price is not bad given that it is now going to be made in
stainless steel. For someone starting out it is still a reasonable amount for a quality product when you include an atty.

Anyone who has ever owned their own business understands the final price involves more than the material costs of a product. There's office expenses, utility bills, insurance, taxes (federal, state and local), payroll, rent, advertising and on and on.

Do what you gotta do to make a quality product at a fair price.

Did I tell ya... I LOVE MY PROTEGE !!!!! :)

Thanks for fixing up my 401 adapter so quickly and the addition to the package ;)

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
Steve: First of all...thank you for your honesty and the heads up about pricing increases.

Now to my experience. I wanted a gg but they were unavailable. I ordered the Prodigy as a second choice. I also ordered the PTs based on the pricing and the desire not to rely on batteries! I am so glad that the gg was not in stock and I have never looked back. Then I bought 2 Protege's...That purchase was based on

1. Quality of PTs
2. Customer Service
3. Defined needs
4. Style
5. Price

That was the decision making process! I hope that helps. I personally will continue to buy through PS because you have stood solidly behind your products. After initial confusion with a Prodigy problem, your customer service has been outstanding and has played a huge part in my continuing patronage.

As it turns out, I am not a huge fan of higher voltage and may indeed sell my Prodigy. If I ever find a passthrough that can be regulated to produce a hit similar to 3.7 volts, I will probably buy it. I won't sell my current pass through however...they are a bit strong, but Casey gave me invaluable advice to make them usable and the QUALITY is unbeatable.

I believe if your quality remains solid and your customer service continues to be top notched, price will come, as in my case, a poor fifth!

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
In your bushes, watching you undress
While it is in everyone's nature to find the best product at the lowest price, we must also take certain things into consideration...

Puresmoker is a small company, thusly they produce in smaller quantities than say a large corporation manufacturing computer monitors. Smaller quantities are more expensive to manufacture. Buying in bulk always lowers cost (think Costco vs regular grocery store). But, with smaller quantity typically comes better quality, more consistency, and better quality control. SO the price may be higher, but the product in the end is usually better overall.

Made in the USA does carry a higher cost, but also higher quality control standards. I would prefer to buy an American made product for this reason.

With Puresmoker you are getting very professional, personal and warm friendly service. Not from "Representative #26", but from Steve or Casey personally.

Let's not even go into how many times Steve or Casey will drop in an extra little unexpected goodie into your box before it ships out to you... free of charge. It's not free to THEM... everything costs money.

For me it's not about how much a product costs, but about the quality of what I am receiving. Some folks are not in a financial position to think like that, they simply must rely on the cheapest price, this is a reality in this poor economy. But speaking from experience... you can buy a slightly cheaper product (like the JS) and live with frustration, have to sell it for a loss, then pony up later for a better quality unit like the Protege... you'd have SAVED money getting the Protege to begin with.

Frankly I'm amazed that you've redesigned the Prodigy to go to all steel construction and LOWERED the price. BTW: I'll be buying one as soon as they are ready, then selling my aluminum V1 Prodigy :)

Kudos to you Steve for coming forth and sharing your personal business with everyone here to allow everyone to better understand the need for the pricing increase. It speaks to your character... and at the end of the day, we're all simply shopping for a big battery tube, but we're buying into your character because you are the one backing the product. I for one feel secure in any investment I make with Puresmoker.

frankie1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
Florida
While it is in everyone's nature to find the best product at the lowest price, we must also take certain things into consideration...

Puresmoker is a small company, thusly they produce in smaller quantities than say a large corporation manufacturing computer monitors. Smaller quantities are more expensive to manufacture. Buying in bulk always lowers cost (think Costco vs regular grocery store). But, with smaller quantity typically comes better quality, more consistency, and better quality control. SO the price may be higher, but the product in the end is usually better overall.

Made in the USA does carry a higher cost, but also higher quality control standards. I would prefer to buy an American made product for this reason.

With Puresmoker you are getting very professional, personal and warm friendly service. Not from "Representative #26", but from Steve or Casey personally.

Let's not even go into how many times Steve or Casey will drop in an extra little unexpected goodie into your box before it ships out to you... free of charge. It's not free to THEM... everything costs money.

For me it's not about how much a product costs, but about the quality of what I am receiving. Some folks are not in a financial position to think like that, they simply must rely on the cheapest price, this is a reality in this poor economy. But speaking from experience... you can buy a slightly cheaper product (like the JS) and live with frustration, have to sell it for a loss, then pony up later for a better quality unit like the Protege... you'd have SAVED money getting the Protege to begin with.

Frankly I'm amazed that you've redesigned the Prodigy to go to all steel construction and LOWERED the price. BTW: I'll be buying one as soon as they are ready, then selling my aluminum V1 Prodigy :)

Kudos to you Steve for coming forth and sharing your personal business with everyone here to allow everyone to better understand the need for the pricing increase. It speaks to your character... and at the end of the day, we're all simply shopping for a big battery tube, but we're buying into your character because you are the one backing the product. I for one feel secure in any investment I make with Puresmoker.

That was so very well put. I am quoting it because it needs to be read again!
I agree 100000% with this post. Especially the last paragraph! That is kinda what I was saying with the other product I considered. In the end, I just flat out believed in Steve and Puresmoker!

GrimmGreen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2009
Carson City, Nevada, United States
so this is really WIN WIN for me , i have a passthrough (probably the best passthrough currently for sale anywhere) I have ordered my protege' (just waiting on that shipping notice!!) and i have not yet got a Prodigy (which the price of will be coming down)

I will agree with Steve... the "NEW" price of the passthrough looks a little steep , i would personally pay that much because i know how how great it is. First timers might be put off a bit from it.

...that is until they buy a cheap Chinese passthrough and it dies on them after 6 days.

the other prices are all fine IMHO , $116 for the protege' seems well worth it. Hell the screwdriver still sells for $140+

Curtis

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
Nashville, TN
Steve, I always thought the Passthrough was under priced for such a great device. With the improvements and a price increase it still beats the pants of any other Passthrough on the market. I just bought a Protege even though I don't need one, simply because I'm a fan of what you do, and I cant wait to experience your next innovation. You have always been straight up with your customers. I love my PS Passthrough and when I need another one, I'm buying it from you (even if it costs twice as much).

Keep up the good work.

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
IMO we need to see some hardcore, serious in-depth reviews of the Passthru.

As n00bs begin to change their interests from regular e-cigs to something more powerful (or just desire to be free of battery changes on their e-cig), they need to be made aware of the HUGE differences between the Puresmoker PT and a regular e-cig passthru. They need to know that it is more than just relieving yourself of battery swaps, but that it is a higher voltage vape producing more vapor, flavor and throat hit. Tradiitonal passthrus (an M401 PT for example) is the exact same performance as vaping an M401 e-cig, just longer vaping sessions, but the Puresmoker PT raises the voltage to give more performance.

Pointing out the difference will help others justify the price difference between a regular passthru for $17 and the Puresmoker PT at $40 or $70.

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
1)You are preaching to the choir. We all know you, your service, your products and your business ethics. We are the fans and your supporters.

2)E-cigs are growing by leaps and bounds. Does your shop want to grow along with you or just take what they can from you now?

3)Newbees aren't going to know you like we do. Add testimonials, utube clips from your satisfied customers using your products to your website. Make it more and more a personal face to face experience there. A utube welcoming from you to them explaining the qualty, the love and the care you put into the pruducts and service all the while you are vap'n on your own stuff.

4)Everyone out here in the real world knows exactly to the penny how much money they have wasted on a product that does not do what we expected it to do and didn't last as long as we expected it to. When asked most people probably don't remember what they paid for something that exceeded their expectations, lasted longer than they thought it would and did exactly (or more) what they thought it would.

5)Value is what the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept. When the two come to an agreement that IS the value! That is IT! PERIOD!

6)There will always be someone wanting you to pay them to take your product and it you don't you are a rip-off, cheat and a liar. Pay them no mind!

7)If you do not give Casey a raise or a piece of the company, you are undervaluing her contributions.

Thus endith the business lessons for today!

Keep up the great products, service and visions you have brought to us, your customers. You and all that is PureSmoker are appreciated.

ProStreet

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
Montgomery county Maryland
IMO we need to see some hardcore, serious in-depth reviews of the Passthru.

As n00bs begin to change their interests from regular e-cigs to something more powerful (or just desire to be free of battery changes on their e-cig), they need to be made aware of the HUGE differences between the Puresmoker PT and a regular e-cig passthru. They need to know that it is more than just relieving yourself of battery swaps, but that it is a higher voltage vape producing more vapor, flavor and throat hit. Tradiitonal passthrus (an M401 PT for example) is the exact same performance as vaping an M401 e-cig, just longer vaping sessions, but the Puresmoker PT raises the voltage to give more performance.

Pointing out the difference will help others justify the price difference between a regular passthru for $17 and the Puresmoker PT at $40 or $70.

Honestly not much to review. Imagine your protege with no battery but instead a big huge usb cable. Then throw in the fact it is 5V instead of 3.7 and there you have it. The PS PT

Darn near indestructible and the thing just works and works and works. I went through 2 generic PT's in a matter of 2 months. Then got fed up and got the PS PT and not a single problem since.

Steve here is what I would do. Keep manufacturing stateside but up the warranty to 1 full year. You know as well as I do that should not be a problem considering the high build quality. That will give people a reason to go ahead and spend the extra money plus if somebody did have an issue these are so simple you could fix it and send it back at very minimal cost to you.

j4g3rb0mb3d

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Chicago, IL
Steve,

I will always patronize your business. Your products are rock-solid and built really tough. I am blown away by the protege, and the PT is still one of my favorite devices. I do plan on buying a stainless steel PT because I absolutely love how the protege came out. I'll most likely buy a stainless steel Prodigy, even though I don't need it.

I also fell in love with your juice over the weekend. My first juice order from you came over the weekend with my protege, and I am really digging the Cola and the CaSHcap, and the France Pipe that I can't buy.

I wish you the best luck that you could possibly ever have. If it wasn't for your products, I probably would have given up vaping a couple of months ago.

Dr. Russell Fell

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2008
Florida
i'll agree with you here cash, these are pretty steep. then again, your market is mostly people who have already bought and used pvs in the past. most, if not, have been hardcore vapors to begin with. to offer these items at this price is justifiable, but to the newcomers and such it would be a bit impractical.

the extension of the warranty as suggested earlier is a great idea, along with throwing in as many cheap extras as possible (your idea of an extra atty, possibly some liquid, and perhaps a small case or bag for the product would be good).

my other suggestion would be bringing back a coupon codes for ecf members. it could be a one time use only coupon and applicable only to certain models.

regardless, after debating and weighing my options as to what i want out of vaping, it looks like i'll be going the pt and protege route if in fact the protege is 100% mechanical as someone had mentioned earlier.

side note: i've heard varying opinions about the 510 as far as flavor goes. 801 is clearly the winner here, but the reviews about "burned taste" and lack of flavor is making wonder whether i should go the 510 route or not. any chance of the m401 adapter being made for the pt/protege?

Last edited:

Bandit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Actually, 801s do not produce the best flavor. 901's are typically considered to be the "flavor king" but at the sacrifice of some throat hit.

With the 510 you get loads of flavor, and loads of throat hit. If you vape on it steadily, the atty does run hot and I can see where some get the burned flavor from... you just have to let it cool a bit, and also not take 10 second hits when you do use it.

The 801 allows the vapor to cool too much before you get it into your mouth, produces lower throat hit (almost none in some cases), and doesn't carry the flavor through as well as a 510 does.

Of course opinions vary, but what I'm repeating is taken mainly from the many posts I have read on the comparisons... so it seems to be fairly accurate across the scores of people who have chimed in over time. My 510 vs 801 analysis however is based on my personal experiences... yours may differ :)

markarich159

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2009
PA, USA
The market on all of these , "premium", commercially available Mods(i.e. Prodigy, SB, GG, USBPass) would seem to me, at this point, to be very small. That is if there are only 500-1000 prospective customers making up the entire market demand for a particular product, it's going to be difficult to make sustainable profit , no matter what you charge per unit OR what your profit margins are. This is just my opinion, but no one but hard core vapers(i.e. the somewhat long term MEMBERS on this and other similar forums) even know these specialized products exist. Until this specialized sector of the e-cig market(which itself is small comparitively) becomes more mainstream, it is going to to be difficult to survive if that is all you're selling.

Also, these mods are a once and done type of sale. I buy a Prodigy and unless I decide to buy another as a gift for someone else, I'm not going to be a return customer for another Prodigy(Unless it breaks, which, will likely push me to look at another mod altogether - again not setting up a return customer situation).

My point is, until the market itself radically changes(or increases), all commercial Mod suppliers may be looking at a continuous price increase cycle.

I'm sorry, I wish this post was more optimistic, I love my USBPass and Prodigy, but you did ask for honesty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread