Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
You can hope. That's what people here thought as well. Then came the regulation and

"electronic cigarette means a product that can be used for consumption of nicotine-containing vapour via a mouth piece, or any component of that product, including a cartridge, a tank and the device without cartridge or tank. Electronic cigarettes can be disposable or refillable by means of a refill container and a tank, or rechargeable with single use cartridges;"

all of the sudden you couldn't call it a flashlight. If it can be used to make an electronic cigarette then it is an electronic cigarette. That's what they achieved here and the FDA will at least take a look at it.
I'm not new to the regulation BS, we in the EU had those discussion already a few years ago with all the same ideas on how to evade the potential regulations.
Now there's wire with a nicotine warning on it.
Thus why

1. I got into rebuilding
2. I got into Mechanical Mods
3. I learned how to DiY juice but still just buy commercial juice for now.
4. Most importantly I stockpiled

Bottom line is they're coming after the Vaping Industry because they are loosing a substantial amount of money in lost tobacco and pharmaceutical money. All they are really going to accomplish is to destroy a major industry and jobs. Vaping will go underground and rather easily for everything in Vaping has numerous other uses.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
My hope is that they put the kibosh on the counterfeit rewrappers and leave it at that. Sadly if anything gets banned, I can almost see mechs and hybrids being the first thing to go as they are the "most dangerous" in the hands of amateurs and the ill-informed. Especially after reading that article about how both the FDA and CPSC are now focusing more on preventing the explosions/fires.

At some point in the future I can possibly see them also making all mods be temp based and have a temp cap at a level that prevents or seriously restricts the creation of aldehydes.

This of course could all be wishful thinking and they end up saying you must vape a pod system with built in battery or nothing at all.

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
You can hope. That's what people here thought as well. Then came the regulation and

"electronic cigarette means a product that can be used for consumption of nicotine-containing vapour via a mouth piece, or any component of that product, including a cartridge, a tank and the device without cartridge or tank. Electronic cigarettes can be disposable or refillable by means of a refill container and a tank, or rechargeable with single use cartridges;"

all of the sudden you couldn't call it a flashlight. If it can be used to make an electronic cigarette then it is an electronic cigarette. That's what they achieved here and the FDA will at least take a look at it.
I'm not new to the regulation BS, we in the EU had those exact discussions already a few years ago with all the same ideas on how to evade the potential regulations.
Oh, I forgot.

As to the flashlight comment, where do you think the term Mod comes from? Modified Flashlight.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Thus why

1. I got into rebuilding
2. I got into Mechanical Mods
3. I learned how to DiY juice but still just buy commercial juice for now.
4. Most importantly I stockpiled

Bottom line is they're coming after the Vaping Industry because they are loosing a substantial amount of money in lost tobacco and pharmaceutical money. All they are really going to accomplish is to destroy a major industry and jobs. Vaping will go underground and rather easily for everything in Vaping has numerous other uses.

I wish I could learn to extract and make my own 100mg nic base from scratch as well. That way I could always have fresh nic and not have to worry about stockpiling.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
My hope is that they put the kibosh on the counterfeit rewrappers and leave it at that. Sadly if anything gets banned, I can almost see mechs and hybrids being the first thing to go as they are the "most dangerous" in the hands of amateurs and the ill-informed. Especially after reading that article about both the FDA and CPSC are now focusing more on preventing the explosions/fires.

At some point in the future I can possibly see them also making all mods be temp based and have a temp cap at a level that prevents or seriously restricts the creation of aldehydes.

This of course could all be wishful thinking and they end up saying you must vape a pod system with built in battery or nothing at all.
Yep, I agree with the rewrappers. Sucks about Mech's but Mech's will go underground and become more expensive. I myself went down the Rabbit Hole and have a rather large collection. I've been clearing out my Clone and lower end Mech's though. There always be a market for Mech's, kind of a shame though for if they ban them I believe it will put more people at risk.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I wish I could learn to extract and make my own 100mg nic base from scratch as well. That way I could always have fresh nic and not have to worry about stockpiling.
Agreed, I have 4 liters in the freezer, serious overkill but I am also concerned about friends and family.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
All they are really going to accomplish is to destroy a major industry and jobs. Vaping will go underground and rather easily for everything in Vaping has numerous other uses.
Exactly. With the kind of vaping we know inaccessible to normal people the success rate will take a dive (as planned). It's worth fighting for that to never happen.
I can almost see mechs and hybrids being the first thing to go
If they're sticking to the battery argument in the strictest way possible then yes. Again, veterans or insiders will know how to still get those, buy a 3d model of a squonk box and print it out somewhere, order some metal tubes and build your mech (or mod a flashlight).

This would be completely ridiculous, it's would be much worse than our current version of the TPD, especially when they ban flavors from vape shops and only allow a few juices (and yes, veterans will know how to still get flavors but that's not the point).

if they ban them I believe it will put more people at risk
Couldn't agree more. Same goes for regulated devices with builtin LiPo, people will try to replace it. With flavors, people will order any food flavors to make liquid, be it safe for inhaling or not. It's a big step back.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
To be honest if there is a ban or excessive taxes this will spur up an industry just for that reason alone, underground of course.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Exactly. With the kind of vaping we know inaccessible to normal people the success rate will take a dive (as planned). It's worth fighting for that to never happen.

If they're sticking to the battery argument in the strictest way possible then yes. Again, veterans or insiders will know how to still get those, buy a 3d model of a squonk box and print it out somewhere, order some metal tubes and build your mech (or mod a flashlight).

This would be completely ridiculous, it's would be much worse than our current version of the TPD, especially when they ban flavors from vape shops and only allow a few juices (and yes, veterans will know how to still get flavors but that's not the point).
I've got LED flashlight heads with a 510 pin, perfect for my 4.2V Mech's, they become an expensive flashlight ;)

But if this does happen we as Veteran Vapers must be vigilant and keep the momentum going. Don't submit to Government and Big Pharma's corruption.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
we as Veteran Vapers must be vigilant and keep the momentum going. Don't submit to Government and Big Pharma's corruption
That's a big part of why I'm learning CAD. The more free printable mods available the more accessible they will stay.
To be honest if there is a ban or excessive taxes this will spur up an industry just for that reason alone, underground of course
Yep. In London illegal cigarette sales have skyrocketed since they made the packs prohibitively expensive (eg a pack of Benson&Hedges costs about 10.50$/7.65£)

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Regardless of what they do, and the minor/major disagreements in opinion discussed here, the main underlying theme is:

You can’t kill and IDEA.

Vaping is that idea.

For the first time in recorded history, people have seen the light, which is freedom from an addiction to combustible tobacco cigarettes...and/or cigars, dip, etc.

Be it for the obvious health benefits, financial benefits, etc...

The vaping “cat” is out of the proverbial bag, and will never be put back in.

——
As for the Big Pharma/Big Tobacco/Big Gov end game...?

I see it as that gang of thugs (because that’s what they are) trying to stifle a “grassroots” industry...at least long enough for them to put out their own “vaping products” and bring their loyal customer base back into the fold.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You mean extract it from tobacco? That seems to be fairly difficult, and the folks who know how to do it on a small (rather than industrial) scale aren't very open about the exact methods they use.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
You mean extract it from tobacco? That seems to be fairly difficult, and the folks who know how to do it on a small (rather than industrial) scale aren't very open about the exact methods they use.

I don't if I have to extract it or manufacture it from raw elements (pure chemistry).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's too early to panic, but I continue preparing. My main focus ATM is nicotine, not so much batteries or flavors, I doubt that it will be possible to stamp those out. I have enough gear for the rest of my life. Perhaps I might *desire* more, but I have a feeling I will get by quite nicely for many years to come, and as the dust settles, I still doubt I'll be sorry for a bit of stockpiling. Honestly, if nothing else happens, prices will continue to rise due to taxation. I think more will happen, but it's too early to predict. Etc.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I'm not new to the regulation BS, we in the EU had those exact discussions already a few years ago with all the same ideas on how to evade the potential regulations.

In the loosely paraphrased words of Amy Berman Jackson... "An e-Cigarette is not a box or a ball."

Reyth_

Oct 15, 2017
Wow. Well the tone of this thread seems to indicate that expert opinion is now that change is a commin'.

I use an EGO clone and so if they hit batteries I will be toasted once they die, then?

I am expecting that I can pursue alternatives with the experts here. Treating me as a newbie, never having vaped and my EGO is outlawed, how long should it take for me to get a workaround mod system do you think?

Should I stockpile a single set of batteries and freeze them? That way I can have time to implement the workaround mod?

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Wow. Well the tone of this thread seems to indicate that expert opinion is now that change is a commin'.

I use an EGO clone and so if they hit batteries I will be toasted once they die, then?

I am expecting that I can pursue alternatives with the experts here. Treating me as a newbie, never having vaped and my EGO is outlawed, how long should it take for me to get a workaround mod system do you think?

Should I stockpile a single set of batteries and freeze them? That way I can have time to implement the workaround mod?

Can’t speak to the rest of your post, but NEVER freeze batteries.

MAYBE the fridge if you have to, but freezing causes crystals, and crystals destroy the insides of batteries.

I know there are plenty of old timers here who may argue against me on that, based on their experience, but I have a degree in automotive technology...and the areas in my degree that dealt with batteries was among my best subject, due to the instructor’s wealth of knowledge.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Can’t speak to the rest of your post, but NEVER freeze batteries.

MAYBE the fridge if you have to, but freezing causes crystals, and crystals destroy the insides of batteries.

I know there are plenty of old timers here who may argue against me on that, based on their experience, but I have a degree in automotive technology...and the areas in my degree that dealt with batteries was among my best subject, due to the instructor’s wealth of knowledge.

How to Store Batteries

Learn about storage temperatures and state-of-charge conditions.

The recommended storage temperature for most batteries is 15°C (59°F); the extreme allowable temperature is –40°C to 50°C (–40°C to 122°F) for most chemistries. While lead acid must always be kept at full charge during storage, nickel- and lithium-based chemistries should be stored at around a 40 percent state-of-charge (SoC). This minimizes age-related capacity loss while keeping the battery operational and allowing for some self-discharge.

BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

I'd look into some of the smaller 18650 box mods, and pick up a few of those. The 18650 is used in lots of other applications, so won't be going away any time soon, so other than those needed to test out your new mods, no need to stockpile them.

And many of us have taken a similar approach to the topper, moving to full rebuildable, so if/when it's no longer possible to get new heads for your current topper you're not left without.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Car batteries are lead-acid chemistry, not lithium-ion. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread