Older Folks and Vaping Back Porch - Part Seven

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldbroad

don't need no dang title..I'm queen of the world!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
I'm very glad you are getting this, Yiddle. I've worried about you, 3mg, & OB being alone & something jappening. You especially, since you never have reliable neighbors to keep an eye out. Mom & I handle these things ourselves, although she can't do anything but call my sister or our griend nearby. She has difficulty being understood on the phone unless you are used to hearing jer. It's worse when she gets aggitated. This is a great thing to have!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Aww! If OB is me, and I've been gone from here for so long, I'm surprised and happy that I'm still thought of!!:)
Something nudged me to come here and read n chat...I've been gone for too long!

It's funny..I've been seriously thinking about some sort of Life Alert gizmo for a while now!

oldbroad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
In the trailer for Old Man With a Gun, Robert Redford raises his right arm and uses his right hand as a "hand" gun. What strikes me as odd is that his right eye is squinting. He's squinting with the wrong eye while lining up the sights on his imaginary gun.
Could he be using an imaginary eye?!

Reactions: Kenna

oldbroad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2009
Lower Mich.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I contend that it in order to aim a gun using the gunsights, the following things must form a straight line:
1. One eye of the shooter
2. The gunsight or gunsights
3. The target

I realize that with a handgun, it is possible (although slightly awkward) to use the eye that's opposite of the hand that's holding the gun. However, it appears to me that Redford, shooting his imaginary gun right-handed, has the gunsight and target lined up with his right eye. Yet, his right eye appears to be closed or mostly closed. This picture is the better illustration of the alignment, although there's another picture which more clearly shows that Redford's right eye is squinted nearly closed.

There's a remote possibility that the fate of civilization might not be hanging in the balance dependent upon the outcome of this conversation.

View attachment 769797

I don't give a Too'Taa what finger, hand or eye he's looking outa... I'm too engrossed in staring at that STILL gorgeous-hunk-a-man!!!~!

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Speaking of ways to contact help, an imperfect solution that is a whole lot better than nothing, if you have an Android smart phone and an Amazon Dot or three linked to your smart phone:

Enter 911 as one of your phone contacts. Give it a name, like Emergency or Emergency Help. Then, if you fall and can't get up, you say "Alexa, call Emergency Help".

I'm sure this would work for Siri users too, but I'll wait for an Applestle to explain how.

This of course is not as good as a properly functioning dedicated Life Alert device, but it's a helluva lot cheaper. It does give me some comfort when I'm in the house to know that I don't have to be able to reach my phone. Naturally, it won't work during a power outage.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Need sum major external memory? How 'bout 4 TB fer $80? Dat's 4,000,000,000,000 bytes @ $.02 a gig! Was $199.99

eek.gif

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Reactions: Kenna

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Need sum major external memory? How 'bout 4 TB fer $80? Dat's 4,000,000,000,000 bytes @ $.02 a gig! Was $199.99

View attachment 773591
Since the picture of that WD 4TB Easystore external drive looks EXACTLY like my WD 4TB My Book external drive (except one says Easystore and the other says My Book), I went and found the following conversation, which gives some good info if you can ignore the useless comments in some of the posts: MY Book/Passport VS Easystore

Best buy has a newer version of the My Book drive than the one I'm using. It's only 5 bucks more than the Easystore drive and comes with a 3 year parts and labor warranty from WD instead of the 2 year WD warranty that comes with the Easystore drive. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...-3-0-hard-drive-black/5605524.p?skuId=5605524

With either hard drive, the Geek Squad warranty seems to me a waste of money, since all it does is duplicate the manufacturer's warranty. Just my 2 bits.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Is it plug & play? My memory could use the assist, too many senior blonde moments lately... o_O :lol:

Yepper, USB 3 wid drive utilities and $25 on Shutterfly!

Best Buy has a newer version of the My Book drive than the one I'm using. It's only 5 bucks more than the Easystore drive and comes with a 3 year parts and labor warranty from WD instead of the 2 year WD warranty that comes with the Easystore drive. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...-3-0-hard-drive-black/5605524.p?skuId=5605524

I share 'em as I get 'em. I just knew dat dis was a killa deal. Ordered one. Had no need to scrimp any mo' dan dat.

With either hard drive, the Geek Squad warranty seems to me a waste of money, since all it does is duplicate the manufacturer's warranty. Just my 2 bits.

Agreed... but in either case, bargain$!
thumbsup.gif

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Dang they sure make hospitals big now days. This is the small one The other one is really huge. You need a golf cart to get around. I guess I was in the wrong business. Anyone ever had claustrofobia from a surgical mask. I sure seem to get it bad. Never used to be like that. You have to wear a mask visiting Ginny. I hope she gets out soon.
You have power chairs. Why don't you use them?

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Aww! If OB is me, and I've been gone from here for so long, I'm surprised and happy that I'm still thought of!!:)
Something nudged me to come here and read n chat...I've been gone for too long!

It's funny..I've been seriously thinking about some sort of Life Alert gizmo for a while now!
Of course OB is you! And you are missed!

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Speaking of ways to contact help, an imperfect solution that is a whole lot better than nothing, if you have an Android smart phone and an Amazon Dot or three linked to your smart phone:

Enter 911 as one of your phone contacts. Give it a name, like Emergency or Emergency Help. Then, if you fall and can't get up, you say "Alexa, call Emergency Help".

I'm sure this would work for Siri users too, but I'll wait for an Applestle to explain how.

This of course is not as good as a properly functioning dedicated Life Alert device, but it's a helluva lot cheaper. It does give me some comfort when I'm in the house to know that I don't have to be able to reach my phone. Naturally, it won't work during a power outage.
That's a good idea Dave. I never thought of it, I just happen to have a spare Dot I was considering putting in the bathroom. I was trying to think of a way because I have never taken a shower when no one is here for fear of slipping off my chair in the shower. That's a damned good idea. I need to take a shower and I was trying to think of a way because sometimes I get pretty close to slipping and if I start to go I'd never get out. Thanks

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Update on Ginny. They gave her some platelets today. She sounded a whole lot better tonight. They've finally got her pain meds right. She doesn't think they will let her out tomorrow because her WBC have to get to a min of 1 actually for a normal person should be 3.8 or higher hers were .7 today they will come and take blood tonight around midnight. Doesn't even wake her up cause they use the Port, so we'll se tomorrow. She wants out. She said they have so many doctors in there that one doesn't know what the other is doing. She had a male nurse last night and was really uncomfortable calling him for help going into the bathroom so she tried by herself and almost fell. They wrote on her chart no male nurses. It was her birthday today. Great place to spend your birthday. One doc put her back on clear liquids another took her off. She has a nurse she really likes tonight. They all seem to work 4/10s which is actually pretty nice have a 3 day weekend every week. She says she feels good tonight. It got down to 25 here last night, well when I got up at 4am. Sure wish I could sleep longer but I make up for it in my recliner in the morning. Sofie our dog just doesn't know what is up with Granny away. She has taken to sleeping on Gins side of the bed at night and in her hospital bed in the morning, or next to me in the recliner. She doesn't like me coming up there afraid I'll pick something up and not be able to take care of her when she gets out. She's probably right. She says the next time she wants to see me is when I pick her up.

Last edited:

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
I have a home security service with a cell-phone chip that will still send out an alert that bypasses the landline phone. Anyway, another service that they offer is an emergency medical type service similar to Life Alert. I know they charge a bit more for the additional service. It may be worth contacting your provider if you have a home alarm system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread