Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Ginny just told me Target took all of their clown costumes off the shelf because of all this weird clown stuff going on.
hadn't heard about this..........looked it up, still dunno what it's all about

I haven't been a regular on the back porch for very long, certainly nothing like the rest of you but it feels kind of sad to have the other one close. Kind of final. Am I being weird? :(
newp yur not. Some like the change which is fine. I liked the idea of a permanent porch without having to change. But always good to honor Tex! I'll never forget a porch in Florida, where many of gathered together in person to drink a toast to him, and others who have passed from us!

Turns out his kidney is still huge, but functioning somewhat and the ureter is 3X normal size. So, they're going to watch him for another 3 months and do another ultra sound to keep tabs on it. He'll probably need surgery before he's 18 months old to open the blockage, but the doc says it should be a simple procedure. So, that was good news for today and he's now home safe and sound.
Glad it is good for now. Poor lil guy gettin stuck like that. Kewl beans on your pie crust!! I remember you saying you hadn't had good success with that. Was it a video online you watched?

I thought I 've had strange bedfellows!.....

that is soooooooo adorable!! Wish Frankie and Chloe would do that, but he gets too excited around her, wanting to check her out.

Yabutt ya furgot perkle.
View attachment 607585
Yipes.......nice thought......but I needs me some sunglasses!

Well I got my swallowing excercises today
kewl hope they help. :)

Hey we saved a bird sort of. We had what we think is a Coopers Hawk flying through, been here before and the little birds finches and such were all freaked out and flew really fast one hit our front window really hard and really knocked him for a loop. We brought him in and put him in a box and kept checking on him. One time he fell over on his side but after about an hour or so he started moving pretty good, so we took the box outside and layed it on its side so he could walk out and I'll be damned if he didn't walk out and flew away. I thought he was a goner for sure.
kewl! We've had a few fly into the sliding glass doors and thump pretty hard, and fall on the porch, but they fly off pretty quickly. Glad your little guy wasn't seriously hurt and you gave him a safe place to be while he was stunned.

there was talk of putting up some christmas lights hung with kanthal
I've got some 28 and 30g I'll donate. Don't see me ever going back to Kanthal.

if he acts up then we all gotta draw straws to see where he is going to be re-seated :)
He can sit next to me.........I know how to keep him in line! :sneaky:

A profound thought to help you get to sleep tonight....
View attachment 607615
lol that's cute!

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
I was very surprised and happy to see one of our porch friends from earlier editions of the back porch hitting the "like" button today.....;) I've sent him a message that he is missed....perhaps we may see him post here once again.....;)

Hoping that our Bard will also show up to post soon.....:cry:

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Hey Yiddle? What about me? Weren't you glad to see me here today?
girl_haha.gif
It's been awhile since I posted. bahahahahaha
Life has just been so darn unexciting. Just the way I like it!
JC_goody.gif

yiddleboge6

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2012
PA
I found the new porch! Me, who doesn't have a directional gene in my body. Good job Sandra!! I brought my favorite chair and am all settled in. Legs, don't worry, I'll help ya move all your stuff.

The 2nd amazing thing that has happened to me is that I made not 1, but 2 delicious, flaky pie crusts last night!! My past attempts have resulted in very sturdy stepping stones. It's embarrassing not to be able to make something so simple. I watched an online cooking class on making pie crusts and made a chicken pot pie that turned out wonderful. Yay!

Huxley and his parents were at Children's Hosp today for imaging and tests on his kidney. He's not 3 months old yet and they had to stick him 5 times to get a vein for the contrast test. Just thinking about it made me want to cry with him. The poor little guy was so exhausted after they were done. Turns out his kidney is still huge, but functioning somewhat and the ureter is 3X normal size. So, they're going to watch him for another 3 months and do another ultra sound to keep tabs on it. He'll probably need surgery before he's 18 months old to open the blockage, but the doc says it should be a simple procedure. So, that was good news for today and he's now home safe and sound.

Thank you Janet.....I always look forward to posts from you and Mike. You have both been my friends from the beginning and I treasure hearing from you and about your family. Looking forward to the time when Hux and Miles have both moved beyond any of their little problems. (I know.....anything that causes health issues in little ones is worrisome and hard to think of as little....;))

If that online cooking class for pie crusts is still available I, as well as some others here I'm sure, would love to have a link to it....PLEASE? :D

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
Odda my goodness! I missed the opening of the new Back Porch.

Thank you Sandy for a job well done, as usual!

I love the tradition and the honor we extend to our originator, Tex! He was one in a million, and a new Back Porch to celebrate him is the least we can do.

Happy Birthday, Tex!

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Hey we saved a bird sort of. We had what we think is a Coopers Hawk flying through, been here before and the little birds finches and such were all freaked out and flew really fast one hit our front window really hard and really knocked him for a loop. We brought him in and put him in a box and kept checking on him. One time he fell over on his side but after about an hour or so he started moving pretty good, so we took the box outside and layed it on its side so he could walk out and I'll be damned if he didn't walk out and flew away. I thought he was a goner for sure.
You did absolutely the right thing :thumbs:. In my rehab days that is exactly what we told people to do. Generally about one hour is what it tskes to get their bearings back. Any longer and we said contact a rehabber.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
And a happy morning to all.

b26d5ab73f50.gif
Time to get started once again. What kind of "issue
s" will I experience today? I hope it's a new one. Getting sort of tired of the "usual". :wub:u
So good to see you posting regularly again!

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
Dragging my chair over to a spot with a nice breeze. Thanks Yiddle.

We had a bid in on a house that fell through this morning. This porch will make a nice place to sit and make the 10,000 phone calls needed to organize plan B. It ain't over yet.

Ugh. So sorry about the bid on the house. You finally make a decision to go for it and then get shot down. Well, maybe you weren't meant to get this house. Can you counter?

Here you go. I reupholstered them in pretty colors.
View attachment 607579 View attachment 607581

There you go! Lovely!

Awww. Isn't that exciting? Years ago we lived in the woods with a glass enclosed porch. Many times we had a bird fly into the windows and I'd run out, pick them up and just cradle them quietly in my hands. If they were just stunned they'd rouse after a few minutes and just snuggle down in my hands. Sometimes I really had to coax them to fly away. If I'd left them lay on the ground it was highly likely they'd have been attacked and killed.

Thank you Janet.....I always look forward to posts from you and Mike. You have both been my friends from the beginning and I treasure hearing from you and about your family. Looking forward to the time when Hux and Miles have both moved beyond any of their little problems. (I know.....anything that causes health issues in little ones is worrisome and hard to think of as little....;))

If that online cooking class for pie crusts is still available I, as well as some others here I'm sure, would love to have a link to it....PLEASE? :D

Thank you Yiddle! I guess we don't ever stop being worried about our little ones. Miles is doing so much better and Huxley seems to be holding his own according to these last tests. We're just so grateful that none of these problems are worse.

Yes, the classes are online. I googled Craftsy and chose the Food/Cooking classes. There's a ton of them and on many subjects. Mike has even picked up a photography class or 2. They run sales frequently, especially if you've already purchased a class, so there's no need to pay full price. Once you get the class it's yours so you can watch it over and over (and start and stop the class whenever you want) and you can just download the recipes to your computer. It's very relaxing to watch too.

I mixed my dough in the food processor, but the teacher shows you how to do it by hand too. The big thing for me was learning the texture of the mixture before rolling it out. I do much better seeing the procedure rather than just reading about it. I should have done a quick knead while the mixture was still crumbly and then set it aside to rest and come together. No wonder my crusts were so awful, but I'm cured now!!

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ummm, then what is it? They sorta look like arrows without the fletching.
Thatz a trellis for the hummin bird plant "behind" the tree. Lookin' down from my upstairs window. The white? Knot sky... snow. :)
(shot yearz ago)

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
upload_2016-10-18_10-40-15.png

I was asked by a couple of lovely young ladies a while back if I would be continuing the Tradition of bringing over some of the random bits and bytes that have accumulated over the years .. we are now on Lucky Number Seven, and, although I know some believe I have likely overstayed my Welcome by at least Six Threads, today, especially today, I am compelled by the Spirits of those that have come and gone over the years as well as those that have Joined The Journey and hung on for dear life .. at any rate, here we go ..

I'll be bringing over a few bits and pieces from previous Threads .. I believe we need to carryover some things and maintain them in a live thread .. I don't want them to get lost and it's a good reminder as well as little History for new porchers .. beginning with :

And so it is reborn once again .. I'll muse for a moment and say : Will the Legacy be around in 50 years .. ?? Will it continue in 100 years .. ?? Whether or not, certainly the bits and bytes will reside somewhere in another time, and perhaps, someday, someone will stumble upon the stories of us, the slices of time that we're all had a hand in .. as long as the baton gets passed .. Salute to the ones that stayed, Salute to the ones that came and left for whatever reason, Salute to the new folks .. Salute to those that left and came back, and certainly, Salute to those that have departed .. Raise a Glass ...

.. My feeble attempt to encapsulate the Man we Owe a Debt of Gratitute to .. In Memoriam ..

"I believe every one should have a lasting Memorial that attempts to capture, in some way, a tiny bit of the essence of a person. So, on the cusp of the passing of our old friend, Randall (txtumbleweed), I have tried to put together a small Tribute to the man that we, for the most part, owe a debt of gratitude for initially bringing us together here. It has been a few moons now, since TX passed .. many have come to the Thread, many have come and gone, some have stayed .. the landscape changes, much like life itself .. Tex envisioned a Thread where we could tell our stories, share our lives, gain support and essentially maintain a Chronicle ..

I always figured Randall used the term "Tumbleweed" because it best described his life. He mentioned in many posts that he always wanted to sit down and write a book about his Forrest Gump like life. I don't know if that book ever got fully written, although he did write .. I hope it did get finished, because Randall had a story to tell. One of the reasons I tried to stay in touch with TX both by email and phone, was because, in a way, we were somehow kindred spirits, since both our lives had taken dramatic turns and twists as the Journey unfolded ..

I'm going to just hit what my memory can bring up, I will be brief and I encourage all of you that remember TX to add to the narrative ..

upload_2016-10-18_10-40-15.png

Born in the California San Joaquin Valley, raised in Texas .. As a young man, Randall and his brother rode the rails of America, as a vagabond, as an adventurerer .. he was a proud Veteran of the US Miltary .. his failure at married life left him a self declared bachelor, although he deeply wished that a Soul Mate could have been found, it was not to be. His free spirit was really not designed for domestic tranquility .. even though he had a bit of the Romantic in him (Randall actually wrote poetry) .. as a child, he and his Brother were swept out to sea on a raft .. and almost drowned. He loved the Redwoods of Northern California and called it his favorite place on Earth. TX lived in a logging camp for four years back in the early 50's.

"Thanksgiving 1959 I was sitting in the Hoosecow in some little town in Florida, Orlando I think. My brother and I were arrested for riding a freight train. We were trying to get back to California and after spending four of the worst days of my life in a terrible jail with terrible guards, the Judge let us go. I hitchhiked the rest of the way and joined the Army when I got home. lol Memories!

It was all a good life experience! I was 19 and my brother was 21. Orlando was just a sleepy little burg then and they didn't care for strangers. The police just wanted 25.00 each from us and they would have let us go but all we had was 35.00 each to make it to California so we set out the four days. lol They just about starved us but did give us two pieces of chicken on Thanksgiving and it was the best chicken I've ever had. lol I can still flash back to that day and remember sucking ever bit of marrow out of the bones. lol The judge was a good guy but the policemen were really some cruel jerks. We got the last laugh on them because the Judge chewed them out real good for arresting us for "hitchhiking" and had them take us to the bus station where we got a ticket to the next town so we could continue our adventure. "

Randall dated an original Mouseketeer, her name was Margene .. he worked, primarily as a Lineman, for 30 years. Then, at the age of 50, when most men are beginning to think of retirement, slowing down, settling down, etc .. while living in Seattle, he sold his truck and bought a one way ticket to Alaska. Because the Vagabond was still itching .. all his life, Randall had dreamed of working on a fishing boat. When he got to Alaska, he landed a job on a trawler out of Dutch Harbor and spent 10 (that's ten) years working on the Northern Jaeger fishing all the way from Siberia to Northern California and the Bering Sea .. what man does that at 50 .. ?? And for 10 years, no less ..

And he danced .. a self declared bonafide avid, wood floor, honky tonk line dancer that would tell us about the many pairs of cowboy boots he wore out and the ladies he used to swing around the floor ..

What I remember most, though, about Randall is the fact that he never had a bad word to say .. sure, like all of us, he had his ups and downs, but no one that visited the old threads got anything from TX other than a warm welcome and an encouraging word .. that and his Faith .. you see, when TX initially went in to have a lump on his neck area diagnosed, all of us back then went on the Journey with him .. he kept us updated, but most importantly, he stayed strong, he never let his Faith waver, his optimism was and is an example even to an admitted Faithless man, such as myself.

His postings got to be fewer and fewer, yet almost had a palpable feel .. you could sense things were not going well as time passed, yet he believed, to the End, that whatever lay in store for him was just another part of the Story he had lived .. and TX considered us his Friends and Confidants so much so, he brought us with him on the Journey.

So let us rejoice a Life Well Lived, from the man that was instrumental in many of us joining hands here in our small corner of the CyberWorld. The final two slides reflect Randalls posting tag and his favorite saying as he approached the end .. "

The Tribute is held in my Google Drive, thus it can be had for anyone that cares to download and save or share ..

CLICK BELOW LINK ..
txtumbleweed.mpg

upload_2016-10-18_10-40-47.png

upload_2016-10-18_10-41-5.png

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Carried over from Thread 5 and Thread 6

Sometimes, something warrants noting, and this particular something is note worthy .. and, I don't think I've seen it posted, which I think is odd, so here we go ..

The supportiveness, camaraderie and general wish for well being that permeates the threads since thread one has been, rarely, if ever to my knowledge, pushed to a real life example .. at least until the recent past .. and those that lent a hand in this should be recognized .. however, since I have not asked their permission to use names, nor do I know the full extent of the story, I am simply going to tell what I have pieced together ...

During a Hang Out session, one of our own here had a Medical Emergency .. thru the quick thinking and actions of others in our fold (I'm unsure whether it was one or two folks) .. an Ambulance was able to be dispatched and rescue our fellow friend .. all of this unfolded on camera as the Hang Out session stayed live ..

Now, I don't know about you, but this fortuitous simple twist of fate needs and deserves recognition .. in fact, it's a 6:00 News story as far as I'm concerned .. I sincerely hope that those involved step up and tell the tale in greater detail and take the bow with which they have earned ..

How the Fates converged at just the right time in order to bring these folks together VIA
ECF, then lead them to a fairly obscure thread, then lead them to the Hang Out and end up at EXACTLY the right moment in time with which to witness and act on a Medical Emergency has to be a billion to one odds ..

So please, step up, tell the whole tale and take your place at the head of the Table .. please ..

Dennis (MamaTried) Writes :

So...

i'm the one who fell down in this scenario. i had recently been thru a few more low blood sugar incidents, which required 911, but this was my latest. so, "i fell down and couldn't get up". ring a bell to anyone?

fortunately, i was in the hangout when i fell (on an awkward trek to the bathroom) . i wasn't carrying my phone. i couldn't call 911

but... i WAS in the hangouts when i fell...

so.... yiddle calls oldbroad (and wakes her up from a dead sleep) to try to get someone else to call who has my address. fortunately, oldbroad had my address. (actually, i'm still kinda worried about that, but...)

so... yiddle ends up calling 911 (with oldbroad's help) giving them my address. 911 shows up and saves my life. if that hadn't happened, there's a good chance i'd still be laying on the floor

like many of us, i have a lot to be thankful for.

i am more than delighted to say that many of my reasons to give thanks reside on this porch

Happy Thanksgiving, ALL of you wonderful people
.. End of Dennis Post

And to complete the Circle of Life :

upload_2016-10-18_10-50-25.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread