Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
You know what, I was reading on the Evolve forum and it seems they are having problems with the Paranormal reading the resistance of the Atty wrong like by .2 ohms and one guy said he found a fix for it but it involves removing the 510 connection and unsoldering something and fixing it. Don't know if it was still happening but people were pretty upset with LV's CS either didn't get an answer or one that didn't help but Evolve being the good company they are sent a thing out to send the mod in and they would fix it for free. So that's the route they took. Evolve seems like a damned good outfit. It's funny too Busardo had a 2 part thing that showed you all around and the funny thing is all the people that work there don't use TC they use Kanthal wires and watts. I asked a question if it was only the Paranormal that had the problem but haven't heard back yet. I think Element Vape would stand behind it also. I've heard their CS is excellent. I am still wondering about all the Paranormals on FT showed discontinued not sure about that. I love my Therion even if it is the old one. Really solid and doesn't tear up batteries anymore at all. .2ohm doesn't sound like much but it is a lot when it comes to TC. Element vape I've never gotten a mod from only authentic Kayfuns. I figured I would get one to support the design but the clones are just as good. Plus you can get 5 for the price of one authentic. I take it your Therion is reading resistance correctly? I'm vaping mine right now and still love it.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
(RE: Geekvape Aegis) I had to upgrade from the base rom level 1.1 to 1.24, but that worked fine with no problems. I just went to their page and plugged in the USB cable. It sensed the upgrade page and finished quickly.
"Their page"? Please give a URL as I have a pair of Aegis that haven't had the firmware upgraded.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I haven't had a problem with switching atties - but then I never do change them but about once a year, and I don't think that has happened since I got the Aegis.

IMG_0641_400.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
"Their page"? Please give a URL as I have a pair of Aegis that haven't had the firmware upgraded.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I haven't had a problem with switching atties - but then I never do change them but about once a year, and I don't think that has happened since I got the Aegis.

Here. Scroll down for the 100W Aegis.

Firmware Download

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
My Therion reads resistance precisely.

Regarding Kayfuns and their clones, the difference lies with the quality of the steel used for the manufacture, but mainly for the tolerances.
Svoemesto tanks tolerance is less than a micron, the clones one order of magnitude more.

If you hold both, you can clearly feel it.

The clones can have sometime a not perfect vacuum, which for a vacuum operated tank, like the Kayfun is, translates into a tendency to flooding.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA

Regarding Kayfuns and their clones, the difference lies with the quality of the steel used for the manufacture, but mainly for the tolerances.
Svoemesto tanks tolerance is less than a micron, the clones one order of magnitude more.

The clones can have sometime a not perfect vacuum, which for a vacuum operated tank, like the Kayfun is, translates into a tendency to flooding.
Well I believe that because I know that my one authentic does seem to just work a tiny bit better, but its not enough that I would buy 8 of them for the kind of money they ask for the price. Little things I have noticed well 1 in particular is the accuracy of the juice flow. Some of my clones take 1 1/4 turn to be just right some at that setting gives too much juice the authentic seems to be just a little better. I can't afford the price to have 8 of the authentics. Just can't afford that.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA

Well I believe that because I know that my one authentic does seem to just work a tiny bit better, but its not enough that I would buy 8 of them for the kind of money they ask for the price. Little things I have noticed well 1 in particular is the accuracy of the juice flow. Some of my clones take 1 1/4 turn to be just right some at that setting gives too much juice the authentic seems to be just a little better. I can't afford the price to have 8 of the authentics

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
Here. Scroll down for the 100W Aegis.

Firmware Download

Ah; didn't scroll down. Once I did, I discovered that it won't work with a Mac (Windows .exe file only). I'm not sure I can get any of my old Windows computers (Win7 or earlier) running, and I certainly wouldn't want to sit through the interminable updates that have accumulated since I last fired them up. I guess I will just have to send Geekvape a note asking for progress on the Mac version. (They work fine now, and I have seen the method for forcing a reset of the atomizer resistance, so I can change atomizers if needed.)

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Ah; didn't scroll down. Once I did, I discovered that it won't work with a Mac (Windows .exe file only). I'm not sure I can get any of my old Windows computers (Win7 or earlier) running, and I certainly wouldn't want to sit through the interminable updates that have accumulated since I last fired them up. I guess I will just have to send Geekvape a note asking for progress on the Mac version. (They work fine now, and I have seen the method for forcing a reset of the atomizer resistance, so I can change atomizers if needed.)
If anyone would know, it would be @MikeE3

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
I just got a Geekvape Aegis yesterday... it came on Saturday but I made the trek to my mailbox yesterday.

One question: is there a way to tell what version is currently installed?

And one rhetorical question: why in the world didn't Geekvape supply a tool for the two screws that need to be removed in order to access the USB port?

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
As your answerer of rhetorical questions: (EDIT: I didn't answer the question you actually asked; that has no good answer.)

That is a T6 Torx™ screw. They have huge advantages over flat blade, Phillips, or even hex (Allen™) drive screws. They can deliver more torque and are much easier to automate. (Downside is that they are more expensive and harder to manufacture.)

Wiha_280_multi_screwdriver_800.jpg

Amazon has these nice little multi-drivers that include Torx drivers down to the T6 size for about $22

At Amazon.com

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Can you go to your local library and use their computer to DL the files and update the mod?

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
Can you go to your local library and use their computer to DL the files and update the mod?
I may have burned my bridges. I sent Geekvape a pretty nasty letter via their web submission form. I abused them verbally, and said I would badmouth them in the forums and social media where I hang out. (Consider this my badmouthing on the Front Porch.)

The Aegis firmware upgrade is an .exe file. I suspect that public computers are fixed to prevent any unauthorized executable files from being installed. Otherwise they would soon be so corrupted as to be unuseable.

This is what is so baffling. The firmware upgrade should be a standalone file and a simple loader should be provided to copy that file into the device. If it were done that way, writing a Mac loader would be a trivial task. Instead, they have provided an executable file with the upgrade hidden inside it. No wonder there is no Mac version. Macs don't allow that kind of shenanigan.

Even Windows is usually better than that. The (Windows) instructions Geekvape sent me said that Win 10 would balk and to "let him change the firewall or low configuration computer". I assume this means that I would have to open Windows to just about any malware that comes along.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
The (Windows) instructions Geekvape sent me said that Win 10 would balk and to "let him change the firewall or low configuration computer". I assume this means that I would have to open Windows to just about any malware that comes along.
It would be unlikely that a brief interruption to the firewall would allow malware to enter your computer. Your concern, then, would be that there would be malware attached to the upgrade?

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I may have burned my bridges. I sent Geekvape a pretty nasty letter via their web submission form. I abused them verbally, and said I would badmouth them in the forums and social media where I hang out. (Consider this my badmouthing on the Front Porch.)

The Aegis firmware upgrade is an .exe file. I suspect that public computers are fixed to prevent any unauthorized executable files from being installed. Otherwise they would soon be so corrupted as to be unuseable.

This is what is so baffling. The firmware upgrade should be a standalone file and a simple loader should be provided to copy that file into the device. If it were done that way, writing a Mac loader would be a trivial task. Instead, they have provided an executable file with the upgrade hidden inside it. No wonder there is no Mac version. Macs don't allow that kind of shenanigan.

Even Windows is usually better than that. The (Windows) instructions Geekvape sent me said that Win 10 would balk and to "let him change the firewall or low configuration computer". I assume this means that I would have to open Windows to just about any malware that comes along.

It took Evolv years before they came our w/ a Mac version of eScribe ... it's the main reason I stayed away from DNA mods and never really got into TC vaping. I refused to run Windoz in a partition on my Mac and my antique Windoz version on laptops and desktops wasn't compatible for eScribe.

I surely wouldn't count on seeing a Mac version from Geekvape anytime soon.

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
It would be unlikely that a brief interruption to the firewall would allow malware to enter your computer. Your concern, then, would be that there would be malware attached to the upgrade?
My concern is that any executable file written by a company unable to write a proper loader is not welcome on any computer I own.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I was able to use the download on my heavily protected Windows 7 os computer by clicking 'yes I trust this site'. That didn't open the doors for all those nasties on the internet. It just allowed the file to be downloaded.

Perhaps one could download it on their smartphone and move it to a computer via flashdrive?
That's how I got e-scribe to my non internet connected laptop.

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
Has anyone else noticed a real shortage on many of the high quality mods from China. I've noticed it with Lost Vapes and SX mini's. I wonder if the tariffs are causing it or what. There really are only like 2 colors of the 2 battery DNA75's and most of the latest models of the SX's. They now have an American edition built by Varitube in the SX. The Paranormals are almost non existent as are many of the LV DNA mods. A couple of colors out of about 25 colors made. It's weird. It's almost like the DNA75 is on it's way out. If I get any I guess it will be the 166 not very many of those either. Something is going on. The others that are out there have a better choice but not sure on the TC if they work as well, the DNA's and YiHi's have always been really good in that area but the SX's are a lot of money. And like Bells says 1 battery mods are a pain in the rear, to me also. I like the battery life, the less I have to do the better anymore. If I could find an atty that had interchangable heads and the flavor and quality of the ones you have to build would also be nice but not many if any work well with TC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread