Rush Limbaugh Touts Benefits of E-Cigarettes, Slams FDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

green-lantern

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
I find him so annoying that I am glad I found e-cigs before he did. (or at least before he acknowledged them) On the other hand, he is terribly influential; I am just glad his addiction is helping bring attention to the products and the cause.

Have you ever listened? other than a quote from CNN? He is influential for a reason. Like I sad before I thought he was full of crap (because of the media) but damn if I didn't start finding truth to what he was saying. I honestly could not think of a person that gets misquoted more than Rush Limbaugh.

I am glad that this ecig thing has opened a lot of peoples eyes on who their actual enemy is.

bobtow

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
Wallaceburg ON. Canada
He may have started out as a joke, but I believe it progressed into a rant against a government, that insists in curbing us for our own good. I'm glad he mentioned Big tobacco and the Drug Companies of possibly, being complicit, in the decisions made by the FDA. We have been complaining about their involvement in the FDA decisions.

CtryBoy

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Texas
Well you know it aint paranoia if they really are out to get ya. :ohmy:

More I learn about the FDA, the more I want a refund of every tax dollar they ever received. They are as dysfunctional as any other large govt organization. Add power and money and well you get the FDA.

My biggest fear is getting lost in the pond. FDA will only stop if there is pressure put on them by congress and even if the 'tea party' libertarian small govt types get in they have a lot of fish to fry. I'm going to contact current house member/senators and if they get reelected contact them again after the election to remind them while they are dealing with all the other crap be sure to kick in the FDA's teeth while your at it.

Ok wishful thinking, but if they do something really stupid maybe RUSH can get his buddies to squash the FDA bug for us. :D Would be nice if he actually had that power and choose to wield it in our favor.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
It isn't a trial on September 23. It is oral arguments being heard on the FDA's appeal. I don't believe that testimony will be involved, just the attorneys for each side giving a speech, saying why the law should be interpreted in favor of their side. The three-judge panel is not expected to come back with a decision on the appeal until January.

AtomPunk

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Thornton, CO
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

I can't stand Rush, but I agree with him on occasion. Sometimes the truth is the truth no matter where it comes from. You can't discount it just because of who said it. That being said, I really don't agree with him on politics and feel sorry for the people who take him as gospel. We should all be cynics when it comes to media. Everyone has an agenda (usually getting ratings as opposed to the truth). But I am glad he is on our side! He has a huge listener base and if it helps our cause then I am with him. At least until he starts talking about everything else lol.

Heartisan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2010
North Cali
The way I found out about this was an article talking about his "racist: comment. I don't know if I'd call it racist - more like an example of his attitude towards anyone who isn't white and male.

Touting e-cigarettes, Limbaugh says you can get them "in menthol or what have you for the brothers"
:ohmy:

And I hate to admit this, but even my husband who has been paranoid about ecigs despite my contant talk, showing him articles etc., actually said "I guess they're not
bad for you if Rush is willing to talk publically about them"
Um, Go Rush?? :unsure:

Virginia Kay

Aug 23, 2010
Anywhere, USA
It may very well be a cold frosty day in hell because I can't believe these words are even in my head, "I agree with Rush Limbaugh" :?:

Personally I think he's a pompous ..., and I will never be running around in an "I <3 Rush Limbaugh" Tee shirt singing his praises BUT .... I'm willing to admit I think he could be a potential ally in this mess. :glare:

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Rush is a narcissistic psycho, but... I don't see the problem. Everything is all about him, and the government is going to shut down e-cigs just because he smokes them. Well... good, that's wonderful, him ranting will reach more people than pretty much anything imaginable or vaguely sane or based on facts, ever would. To cop a line from somebody else, the world doesn't want logic and reason, it wants colorful lunatics. Rush is certainly that.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Rush is a narcissistic psycho, but... I don't see the problem. Everything is all about him, and the government is going to shut down e-cigs just because he smokes them. Well... good, that's wonderful, him ranting will reach more people than pretty much anything imaginable or vaguely sane or based on facts, ever would. To cop a line from somebody else, the world doesn't want logic and reason, it wants colorful lunatics. Rush is certainly that.

I used to think that, too...until I actually listened to him for more than 3 minutes at a time. He's actually a freakin' genius, and the whole 'arrogant' thing is the part of his radio persona that gets people to listen. Rush is awesome and one of the only radio/tv personalities that uses reason and logic these days.

Personally, I prefer Jason Lewis, who is far more libertarian.

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
Welcome to the forum, Irons! See everybody? It's working already.
By the way, I can't stand Rush Limbaugh, I disagree with nearly every word that comes out of his mouth. During election 'season", I listened to him everyday on my lunch hour just to gather ammunition. But, am I glad he is a fan of ecigs? You bet your sweet waffle juice, I am!

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum, Irons! See everybody? It's working already.
By the way, I can't stand Rush Limbaugh, I disagree with nearly every word that comes out of his mouth. During election 'season", I listened to him everyday on my lunch hour just to gather ammunition. But, am I glad he is a fan of ecigs? You bet your sweet waffle juice, I am!

It's not just that he's a fan of e-cigs...he's a fan of the gov't staying the hell out of people's lives. He's also a fan of gov't not picking and choosing corporate winners, which the Feds have been doing an awful lot of, lately. It isn't just that he likes e-cigs. He's so wealthy he could stock up and never be without a PV for the rest of his life...or he could just hire someone to make them for him on the black market.

He brings it up on his show (he did again yesterday) because he sees the health benefits of PV's for smokers and also sees the Federal powers-that-be trying to snuff out yet another successful industry while at the same time being hypocritical by stating that they 'care about the health and safety' of all Americans. The government doesn't give a flying @#$& about any of us, and he points that out on a regular basis.

We should THANK Rush Limbaugh because he's one of the only people with a voice standing up for our individual rights and freedoms; and he's definitely one of the only famous non-politicians advocating that the free market--not the Federal Government--dictate which industries stay in business and which ones do not. We may not have the voice of Big Tobacco or Big Pharma, but thank God we have Rush.

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
I've said it a few times (can't remember if this thread or another Limbo thread) but in spite of my disdain for him, I think it's a good thing to get the word out and gain some positive publicity. The only thing I thought about later was that he's such a polarizing and partisan media figure it could backfire in some ways. He does have a history of illegal drug addiction and that could be used by some to paint ecigs in a negative light. I know, it's really not related, but politics and smear campaigns can be cutthroat. Don't undersestimate the lengths FDA/BT/BP may go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread