Rush Limbaugh Touts Benefits of E-Cigarettes, Slams FDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
When I heard him talking about e-cigs I finally broke down and did some research, it was like the final nudge because nobody I knew used one and I had never seen anybody using one.
I probably would have got here eventually, but I'm here now because finally somebody was talking about them. Thanks Rush!
Welcome to ECF!! There's one more good reason to listen to Rush. Not that I always agree with him, but then I didn't always agree with my Mom either!
Hope you're having good luck with your e-cig, and finding lots of suggestions here! vaping to get away from cigarettes is something you really do have to commit to, it's not always easy but pretty much always beneficial!

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I've said it a few times (can't remember if this thread or another Limbo thread) but in spite of my disdain for him, I think it's a good thing to get the word out and gain some positive publicity. The only thing I thought about later was that he's such a polarizing and partisan media figure it could backfire in some ways. He does have a history of illegal drug addiction and that could be used by some to paint ecigs in a negative light. I know, it's really not related, but politics and smear campaigns can be cutthroat. Don't undersestimate the lengths FDA/BT/BP may go to.

Very good points.

With that said, why is it that facts are always muffled by silly personality crap that doesn't mean a hill of beans when addressing the argument at hand (that being whether or not e-cigs should be legal or regulated by the FDA)? Do we pass on the argument Rush is starting because of his personality flaws? Or do we stand by his rational arguments for e-cigs?

I find it amusing that people are stating that they hate Rush, but they never come out and say that they disagree with his reasoning or rationale on behalf of e-cigs. Bottom line: The less government in our lives, the better. If you disagree with that statement yet agree that e-cigs should remain legal, all you're really saying is that gov't is regulating something that you happen to enjoy, and it personally pisses you off. Rush's bigger argument is that government is too involved in EVERY ASPECT of our lives, and needs to .... out, regardless of whether or not our personal freedoms or someone else's are being affected.

Do we still believe in individual liberty in this country, or do we want to be babysat by a bunch of powerful people who can force us into submission by the end of a gun? That's the question at hand.

Pheisty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
BTW, you can still disagree with Rush on most things and not like him personally, yet make the point that you agree with his views on less gov't involvement in our lives...because really, that is Rush's overarching point with e-cigs. It isn't just because he happens to enjoy them, too.

Just realize that most of Rush's philosophy in political/gov't matters is just that: Less gov't/More freedom

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I found the transcript - looks like Rush is finding out quickly the irony of being a vaper/nicotine user in the U.S:

Monday, September 13, 2010

RUSH: You know, John Boehner and a lot of smokers are actually funding children's health care programs. I have made this point throughout the whole period of time that there have been attacks on smoking. At some point, you know, we keep raising taxes on tobacco products and the money is going to what? It's going to things that people consider seriously important. Children's health care plans, education, and what have you. So what if we were really serious about eliminating smoking? What happens if we have a 100% successful campaign to get everybody to quit smoking? Do you realize the number of government programs that would be funded with zero? You'd be stunned.

Now, nicotine is the most addictive drug on the planet. Nobody has a pleasant first experience with it, unlike most other drugs. Have you ever seen somebody take their first inhale of a cigarette? They have a coughing spasm and they vow never to ever do it again. Just like somebody who gets drunk and throws up, they vow never ever to do it again -- and within minutes they're back at it. Well, it's the same thing with people that smoke cigarettes. You get started and it's a very addictive drug. So totally wiping it out would defund... I've said in a half-serious way numerous times, "Smokers deserve medals because they are risking their own lives for the children. They're funding children's health programs," and of course that impeccable logic is met with the usual derision. But stop and think if we were ever really successful and ask yourself if government really does want to eliminate smoking. The product remains legal. It's a cash cow for lawyers; it's a cash cow for states; it is a cash cow for federal governments and agencies. There's no way they're gonna ever make tobacco illegal.

So when moralists like Bob Schieffer come along they gain a lot credit for compassion by suggesting we do everything we can to make people stop smoking, but the people that are putting taxes on cigarettes and making all these anti-smoking cigarette PSAs are not really serious about it. If they were, we'd ban the product just as we've banned other things we don't want people to do and we'd start chasing people who do it. There was a lot less anger out there when people smoked. I'll tell you something, I recently discovered these electronic cigarettes. I occasionally puff one here with the Dittocam on and I get people saying, "I can't believe you've succumbed! I thought you quit cigarettes. Oh, no, what have you done?" They're electronic. There's no tobacco in these things. They're purely electronic. Here, you can watch on the Dittocam. This is an apple-flavored electronic cigarette. (interruption) What are you smirking at, Dawn?

I have a little story here. Inside this green what looks like the filter, that's where the nicotine is in a liquid. There's an atomizer in there and the long part that looks like the cigarette itself is a battery. And when you start sucking on this thing, the atomizer creates water vapor. It looks like smoke. It's fun. You know what I love to do? I love whipping one of these things out in an elevator. Folks, you know me. I love irritating the status quo. I love irritating the politically correct. It is really fun to whip one of these things out at a bar. It doesn't take long before the manager comes up, "Mr. Limbaugh, there have been some complaints. We really have a no smoking policy here at such-and-such bar. We do."

I said, "It's not a cigarette. Here, look," and I demonstrate it. "Here, let me blow this in your face."

So I suck on the thing, I blow it in their face and they actually go, "Oooh, that does smell kinda like vanilla. Smells kind of like chocolate or apple," and they smile and they go away.

And it happens more often than not the guy comes back and says, "Mr. Limbaugh, you're still upsetting people."

"Why?"

"Well, it looks like you're smoking a cigarette, and it's making them uncomfortable."

"Well, why? It's not hurting them."

"I know, but would you please just not do it? Smoking's not allowed."

"I'm not smoking. I'm water-vaporing. It's no different if you put a vaporizer with Vick's VapoRub in it here on your bar."

"Well, Mr. Limbaugh, I understand, but some of our..."

So I look around, "Who are these nattering nabobs?"

I can spot 'em in an instant. I can spot the people shooting daggers at me. I know who they are, and you know what they're upset about? What do you think they're upset about, Brian? They're upset that I'm enjoying it. They are upset that I'm having a good time. The fact that there are no carcinogens; the fact that there's no odor; the fact that there's nothing offensive about it other than the way it looks to them doesn't matter to them. They still want to wade in there and stop me from doing it.

By the way, guess who's trying to put these people out of business? There's a bunch of different manufacturers and sellers of the electronic cigarette, and the big pharmaceuticals are lining up against them. The FDA is now going to conduct hearings on this and whether or not it's feasible, whether it's healthy. They're going to try to find some health concerns here with water vapor. But it's all because they're cheaper than cigarettes. With the taxes on cigarettes now, they're cheaper than cigars. They're cheaper than Nicorette gum. They're cheaper than the patch, depending on how you use 'em. But there's no tobacco tax on 'em. So you see my whole point with this is, for somebody trying to quit smoking, the electronic cigarette's a good way to do it.

And they don't really want that because there's no tax revenue with these things. I guarantee you, if they find a way to attach equivalent taxes to tobacco taxes to the electronic cigarette, everybody would be fine with it. I guarantee you. I don't know if Indian reservations are in the e-cigarette market or not, 'cause they don't charge any sales taxes. They don't have to charge sales taxes on their cigarettes. I don't know. I don't know if you can buy an e-cig on a reservation or not. I've not actually tried. I just find all this moralizing, all this proselytizing, all this I'm-better-than-you stuff

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: You know, that's right. You go to a ballpark anywhere in public and somebody lights up a joint, nobody says a word. Nobody says a word because nobody wants to be thought of as a narc. But you let somebody light up a cigarette and 49,000 people will have a conniption fit. It's true. It's true. Not one person will care about a joint. They may say, "Can you believe somebody is smoking a joint?" but nobody will call the authorities. But somebody will light up a Marlboro and all hell breaks loose.

Have you seen these DirecTV commercials? These DirecTV commercials are fabulous. This is when the cops are allowed to Taser people. In the one I saw yesterday a waitress... There are some guys in her diner who are just enjoying the hell out of themselves. They're watching DirecTV. They're watching the NFL Sunday Ticket on their iPads and their mobile devices at their table and they're just having the greatest time and they're enjoying themselves, and the waitress at this place just can't stand it that they're enjoying themselves. So she puts dirty dishwater into a pitcher of iced tea and then stirs it up with her fingers and takes it over and serves them. Of course they're clueless, but this is her way of getting even with people having a good time, because they're watching their favorite football teams wherever they want because they have DirecTV Sunday Ticket.

The reason I think that ad is good is because it illustrates that there are just some people, liberals in this country, who do not want anybody to enjoy themselves. Nobody's going to have a good time, not when there's so much suffering and not when there's so much economic turmoil and angst, and people having a good time, especially people who may not be suffering from economic angst, I mean obviously if you can afford the NFL Sunday Ticket on your mobile device and go to a diner when the football games are on and watch with your buddies at a restaurant rather than have to go to the stadium, sure, a lot of people are going to be mad at you. So kudos to DirecTV for putting that in the ad.

Last edited:

Irons

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2010
MI
Thanks Kristen, I heard that bit too and he's right on. As more people use e-cigs in public the more the control freaks are going to spazz out because they have been beaten.
All thier stupid anti smoking laws and taxes have been snubbed by technology, and control is what that crowd is all about.
Not one group or state, city etc. gives a flying rip about the health of anybody, but they will bend over backwards to tax and control them.
Puffing on an e-cig is not only enjoyable and fun, the very act is giving the finger to the establishment. Its saying "we have beaten you."
I expect the attacks on e-cigs will be nasty and powerful as they will be funded by big tobacco and big pharma and thier lap dogs the .FDA,
so hold on tight my Friends, this is going to get bumpy!

Pav

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2009
Detroit Rock City
Not a bad rant from Limbo. Of course there has to be some partisan lib name calling at the end as usual from him. The only other thing I wonder about is the part where he says this is only water-vapor. I don't think that's true, it's PG vapor (I guess mixed with water absorbed from the air.) I can't seem to get a real answer on this though.

I had started this other thread and see no definitive answer yet other than PG is a humectant which absorbs water from the air. How much seems not to be known though. The reason I'm after an answer here is that critics will look for anything to bring down vaping imo and if misleading info is given out they will pounce (even if PG vapor is no more harmful than water vapor.)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...upplier-business-card-explanation-vaping.html

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This is really a good article that explains Ecigs simply and is pretty comprehensive, providing fairly accurate details without getting into too much technical jargon.

Converting To E Cigarettes Is Easy.|.EzineArticleBoard.com.

Converting To E Cigarettes Is Easy
RSS Feed Medicine & Health Category RSS Feed - Subscribe to the feed here

By: Sandy Krane

Smokers are fed up. They are tired of tobacco companies and their shady business dealings and the thousands of chemical additives put in the cigarettes pushed by the tobacco companies. While some smokers are choosing to ditch smoking altogether, some smokers are continuing to smoke without the products of the big tobacco companies. They are doing this with the aid of the electronic cigarette. If you are a smoker who is also fed up with the practices of the big tobacco companies and are curious about the electronic cigarette, then here is some information that will help you out.

The first thing you need to know about electronic cigarettes is what they actually are. An electronic cigarette is exactly what it sounds like. It is an electronic item that gives the smoker the sensation of smoking a cigarette and the nicotine that their body craves without having to pump the other four thousand additional chemicals that big tobacco companies put in into their bodies. Instead, electronic cigarettes use a special liquid vapor called e-liquid. E-liquid is largely composed of nicotine, water, and different flavorings, but no tar.

E-liquid is what makes the electronic cigarette so popular among smokers. It is largely made up of water, nicotine, and flavorings, but what makes it so popular is the fact that it completely and totally odorless in its vaporized form. One of the most common complaints that smokers have about smoking regular cigarettes is the fact that all of their non smoking friends and family members complain about them smelling like a walking talking ash tray. Cutting out the odor means you will be cutting out the complaints.

Most smokers share the complaint that it is annoying to only really have one flavor available to them, especially because that flavor is stale and nasty. But electronic cigarettes offer a cheaper way to get the variety that they desire so much because e-liquid comes in a multitude of flavors. There are the traditional tobacco and menthol flavors, but smokers can also enjoy chocolate, vanilla, and cherry flavors.

Another big complaint among smokers is that the cost of smoking is way too high these days. And those smokers are right. When you think about the price of a single pack of cigarettes these days and the fact that the average smoker goes through two packs a day, that is ridiculous. Since the smoker is satisfied faster with e-liquid, they use the product less. And after the initial cost of the electronic cigarette, smokers stand to save nearly eighty percent of the money they would have spent on regular cigarettes.

Last edited:

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
This is really a good article that explains Ecigs simply and is pretty comprehensive, providing fairly accurate details without getting into too much technical jargon.

Converting To E Cigarettes Is Easy.|.EzineArticleBoard.com.

Converting To E Cigarettes Is Easy
RSS Feed Medicine & Health Category RSS Feed - Subscribe to the feed here

By: Sandy Krane

E-liquid is what makes the electronic cigarette so popular among smokers. It is largely made up of water, nicotine, and flavorings, but what makes it so popular is the fact that it completely and totally odorless in its vaporized form.

This doesn't jibe with what I know. My nicuid isn't largely made up of water and the vapor isn't totally orderless.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Good grief. So that's what those Direct TV ads are about. I honestly didn't get it until I read Rush's explanation. I had not seen the waitress ad before. I caught the very tail end of the cops tasering some guy who opened his front door. My reaction was bafflement. Huh? Why'd they do that?

There is one ad showing cab-driver in NY with a couple watching the game on their phone or whatever. He makes the couple get out of the cab in the middle of nowhere. I thought it was because they were Dallas fans and he was a NY fan.

I guess the reason I didn't get what was happening in those ads is that it would never cross my mind to harm someone else who was not doing a darn thing to me just because they appeared to be enjoying themselves. Are there really people that envious and sadistic in the world?

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
...Are there really people that envious and sadistic in the world?

You have not met my Ex, yes, yes there are. (I'm not spiteful, had to listen, silently, while my sons discussed it between themselves over dinner last night.) While I doubt the commercials are really about that, those types of people are out there and do do that kind of thing on a regular basis.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
This doesn't jibe with what I know. My nicuid isn't largely made up of water and the vapor isn't totally orderless.

Yeah, he missed the juice make-up, but I thought it was a clear explanation to those who ask what it is. I wonder what the water content of PG and VG is. The vapor is coming from somewhere and it is likely that the thick liquids are releasing more moisture as vapor than we realize. My wife says she smells vanilla and caramel in lots of my vapor. There are some that have a faint odor of tobacco, but not the lingering trademark smell of an analog. I know I can stealth vape and no one looks around for who's smoking that cigarette. That's a distinctive frown with a turned up nose. I never see it.

I haven't done DIY yet, but a lot of people are using 10% distilled water and 60% PG or VG, along with flavorings and alcohol. Everyone in the news media seems to think it's all water vaper when we exhale. I still wonder where the PG ends up. I guess it's in the fog, our mouth and throat, our lungs, and wherever else it travels to.

CJsKee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2009
Oklahoma
Well I caint say i'm surprised that Rush picked up on the PV's. After listining to rush for years (I was raised on rush thanks to my grandparents) i know that the longer this goes on, the more information he'll gather. I wouldn be surprised to see him mention this forum real soon. I have a feeling this thread is going to get even longer soon, once he starts on a rant, it'll go on fer months, and he usually has new information to add to his rant weekly, if not daily depending on the rant.

jtcaseyjr

ECF Veteran
Sep 9, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
He may have started out as a joke, but I believe it progressed into a rant against a government, that insists in curbing us for our own good. I'm glad he mentioned Big Tobacco and the Drug Companies of possibly, being complicit, in the decisions made by the FDA. We have been complaining about their involvement in the FDA decisions.

I am not normally a Rush Limbaugh fan truth be known. However if he could actually help, I'm on board. We need someone with some pull that can actually speak up for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread