• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Welcome and introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latakia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2010
Maryland
There doesn't seem to be much going on in this group lately. I'll bet everyone has been meaning to post again, but you just haven't gotten around to it. Right?

As of Monday I finally got the answer to the big question that I have been asked for most of my life: "What the H--- is wrong with you?" I have ADD.:) I've read several of the posts here and realized that I could have written many of them myself.

I've put the cookies in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard etc. etc. etc. I can recall, in detail, conversations that I had decades ago, but don't ask me where I put the car keys when I came home. I just mailed the check for my high school reunion. The reunion is in three days and the deadline was last month.:facepalm: I could go on, and on, and on and...........

Last edited:

Ariel

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Spatula City
Hello, my name is Ariel and I have ADD. I'm in my mid-40's and was finally diagnosed about 15 months ago. It was discovered to be the underlying reason for my anxiety and depression. I don't fall into the hyperactive category - maybe this is why it slipped through the cracks for so many years. That, and the concept of adult ADD doesn't seem to have a lot of credence.

It was a shock when I got the diagnosis... "ADD - but.. but.. but.. that's just for kids who bounce all over the walls and stuff!"

Of course, I had to know everything about ADD. I did more research, and ... WOW... it explained EVERYTHING. Much of the research I did was like reading my biography. It was really weird, to be honest.

I learned that ADD doesn't always mean hyperactivity - it can be the kid who sits (too) quietly in class, and never pays attention. That was me. Well, that and many other things that fit. Easily distracted, 5 bazillion projects I can't finish to save my life, can't remember to put stuff away, etc etc. Every home office I've ever had, including the one I'm typing this in, has been in a state of controlled chaos. Same with the rest of my living space. (And yet, I can generally find whatever I'm looking for.) I can go into the library and amuse myself for hours wandering the stacks and finding interesting things at random.

I was on meds for a while. They worked GREAT. I had to stop when my husband's insurance said "meh, we're not paying for the meds anymore, sucks to be you". Even the generic prescription was too expensive for someone who had just lost their job. So were the doctor visits to continue getting the prescriptions. Yes, my husband was still working (and still is), but the money was (and still is) needed for other things. I just couldn't see paying for something that felt like a luxury.

Unfortunately, by the time I'd started on the meds, I'd already not been doing so well at work. I can't focus in noisy environments, and was raising some fuss about the distractions and the difficulties. It was frustrating, to say the least. When I started the meds, I was finally able to focus on my work. But by then it was too late. I had a reputation as a troublemaker. Being a contractor instead of a full employee meant I was disposable, and so I was disposed of. "Sorry, we're running out of work, it sucks to be you."

At the moment, I've got a part-time job and am back in school for a new career (medical assisting). I'm halfway through the current term, and like the last couple of terms, am dealing with a lack of focus. It's a career college - I needed a fast track through school. The terms are short - 10 weeks long. And yet, I still have problems getting through the classes. Somehow I've managed to pull straight A's. This may be the first term it doesn't happen. Fortunately, this is my last term of classroom classes, and so I don't think it will damage my GPA TOO badly. Next term I will be on externship.

When I have a full time job and can afford it again, I'll go back to my doctor and back on the meds.

So, anyway, there's my introduction, and as usual, I kinda blathered on and on.

Zapp and Roger

ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
www.myspace.com
*Stands up*

Hi, I'm Zapp and I have ADD.

*Sits down*

I am proud to be ADD, I think that I am lucky that I have such high verbal skills, an empathy with others that helps immensely in my job doing Hospice care, and the ability to intensely focus on that which is currently occupying my attention. Granted being impulsive, forgetful, and disorganized has its drawbacks but hey, it's all good right? :) Seriously though, I was diagnosed at 16 and tried meds for awhile, but the "zombie" effect (Extremely calm, quiet, focused) just felt unnatural to who I am. Like others, I used caffeine and nicotine to get that dopamine flowing in the old noggin, and found other ways to cope with the drawbacks. I honestly believe that being ADD gives more advantages than otherwise. I can read people and form an instant connection with people, and seeing how others lack that is reassuring that there are benefits to being different. A messy desk is the sign of a genius mind, for who else could discern a pattern of sense from the chaos. :)

Z&R

Paisley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2010
Florida
Hi everybody,
Ah yes, I am one of the lucky ones too. I’ve only had ADHD since 1990 because girls didn’t have it until then. Back in the early 60’s my brother was diagnosed and my mom told the Dr, “If you think my son has ADHD let me bring you my daughter!” the Dr said girls don’t have it.
I tend to prefer Thom Hartmann’s “Hunter vs Farmer” take on ADHD, it also helps explain why there are so many of us in the US (impulsive risk takers).
BTW, I put a pencil clip on my e-cig so I can hook it on my clothes otherwise I’d be consuming all my time looking for it. I also find that I MUST take the time to put things I will need again back in the same exact place every time I use it.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Ok, so I logged on the computer about 4 hrs ago so I could order some extra atomizers before the last 2 I have blow.....hahahaha....sound about right? Still not ordered.

Ha! +1000!

There doesn't seem to be much going on in this group lately. I'll bet everyone has been meaning to post again, but you just haven't gotten around to it. Right?

Ha! + another 1000!

As of Monday I finally got the answer to the big question that I have been asked for most of my life: "What the H--- is wrong with you?" I have ADD.:) I've read several of the posts here and realized that I could have written many of them myself.

I've put the cookies in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard etc. etc. etc. I can recall, in detail, conversations that I had decades ago, but don't ask me where I put the car keys when I came home. I just mailed the check for my high school reunion. The reunion is in three days and the deadline was last month.:facepalm: I could go on, and on, and on and...........

My class reunion was 8/13. I had the money to pay for it but it kept slipping my mind.

I had a family picnic 8/7. While there, my cousin said "We missed you at the reunion last night". I was like "WHAT?" The date had apparently changed and because I hadn't responded/paid, I wasn't notified. I'm still kicking myself for that one. Hope you don't miss yours like I did :(

I learned that ADD doesn't always mean hyperactivity - it can be the kid who sits (too) quietly in class, and never pays attention.

So true. I don't have the "H" either.

BTW, I put a pencil clip on my e-cig so I can hook it on my clothes otherwise I’d be consuming all my time looking for it. I also find that I MUST take the time to put things I will need again back in the same exact place every time I use it.

I HAVE TO put things in the same place time and again or I will never find them. I finally realized this when I spent way too much looking for and retracing my steps because I couldn't imagine where I might have laid something down that I needed :facepalm:

Lu

Raudoc

Aug 18, 2010
Casa Grande, AZ
Howdy folks i have never been tested for add/adhd but im sure that i have at least add but since i was never tested i dont knowfor sure. I quit smoking about 6 months ago with no aids not even a PV but i have managed to avoid buying any anologs a friend has jsut switched to an Ecig and told me bout some of the sideaffects of nicotene. and relised that i understand what hes saying bout it helping some people focus. and since i have quit i have noticed a distinked lack of focus but i have managed to muddel though life so far. but im going to school to get a CDL and am both looking forward to driving a big rig but at the same time i do dred the first time as well. .... gertting off track. any ways i have purchesed a PV after some considerable searching and asking my friend how he likes his. I have decided to get an eGo but hasent arrived yet so i cant tell you if its going to help.

In school i was diganoced with dislexia and how it affected my reading speed and spelling and gramer when wrighting. but was never tested for add. i know i can multi task like theres no tommarow but only with games right now. when i have the equipment i will run 3 accounts at the same time of the same game and activly play them all and carry on conversations with each toon simultainiusly. one night i was drinking perty heavily and had only loged in 2 of my accounts and started chatting ith my corp mates and one toon was totaly drunk the other one how ever was stone cold sober not sure how that happened but it did.

now one way i have found that i have dealt wth my over active brain is to have music playing constantly it helps (most of the time). i do also suffer form somthign i have had to give a name to as i have never any one else compl;aining of it or even understand what im talking bout. i call it absent minded compulsive drumming (AMCD) where i have a drum beat in my head and then it gets out to my hands and feet. its rather distracting to others in a class and have had a teacher snap at me because it was disterbing her. but i was totaly aware of what she was saying but had no idea that i was drumming on the table. any one here know what im talking bout.

music is so relaxing.

Raudoc (AKA Jesse)

bassnut

Crumby Jokes
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
makes perfect sence.................................................lost my train of though where was i going with this maby if a walk a way and come back when i rember?

When your train of thought gets re-railed (or not), I trust someone will be here to witness it. Me? Somebody?
That's what I'm counting on anyway. Fellowship is all that can be offered or expected, I suppose. I just got here myself.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
All play and no work makes Jack a dull boy
All play and no work makes jack a dull boy
All work and no play...
All play and no work...
ad infinitum....

STOP!

Maybe I should be in the OCD forum...can somebody help direct me?

Last edited:

Security Ape

Oct 9, 2010
Canada
Hi.

I'm a 29 year old guy was was diagnosed ADHD last year and started vaping last week. I've been around a pack a day for a decade, often significantly more when I had projects on the go, and they prescribed Vyvanse to me for the ADHD, which is sort of like being on ....... all day long. It helps me stick to one thing at a time most of the time, but at other times it tweeks me out something fierce. I would have been deeply upset that first day without some recreational drug use experience to guide me through the day.

Jm1813

Sep 14, 2010
Laredo, Texas
Well, I'm Juan from South Texas. I was diagnosed with adhd about 2.5 months ago or maybe three. (Im bad with dates.) I got my first and only pv that same week btw. I decided to go to a psych after life and school became too much for me to handle. So I'm 20 years old and I find out I have adhd.... o_O Hmmm.... & all my teachers thought I was a smart but lazy and careless kid. Idk, I just can't believe no one noticed. My dad doesn't believe in psychiatry, and my mom thought adhd was an illness similar to the flu. Moving on, adhd mainly causes me to be extremely moody, easily agitated, depressed, anxious, and really unmotivated. I'm medicated now, and it chills me out. Well, until the adderall wears off, or if I miss a designated pill ingestion time. (I forgot the word that means all that)

But yea, vaping is awesome, ecf is awesome, and I tripped out when I saw this section on here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread