Stop the presses, new lavatube 3.0 is about to hit with a 4 amp limit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
The original TavaTube was pretty easy to test for output voltage with an inline volt reader, not so with V1.5 and probably V2 as the inline reader is useless. About the only thing you can use a VOM for is read static volts for comparison against what the tube volts are reading. If one want to read the volts under load with a VOM an adapter is required.

Perhaps some here know where to get an adapter and if so please post a link for the rest of us.

Errol

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
Well, it's good end to a good day for me. Got that good kind of tired you get from accomplishing a lot at work. Sitting in the old recliner in the man cave in sweats and my thick fuzzy robe, a little glass of bourbon and a big glass of tasty IPA next to me, catching up on old episodes of Man vs Food on Netflix and puffing on my new toy.

I picked up another Smoktech DCC tank at the same time as the Vector/LT, so I filled it full of Wild Cherry and hooked it up. Since this is my first foray into VV, I had no clue how to turn it on. The kit has everything but instructions. Actually, it had more, because vapor beast threw in a couple of freebie clearomizers that I'll play with tomorrow. (Thanks Tim!) A quick search found me some instructions and I was off. It read the Smoktech at 1.5 ohms, so I checked a few other cartos. Smoktechs ran 1.4 to 1.5, Boges ran 2.2 to to 2.3. My multimeter is in a box somewhere and I'm far too comfortable to go look for it. I fired up the DCC tank at 3.7 and crept the voltage up incrementally, being quite amazed at the vape. It started tasting real nasty at 5.1 volts, so I backed it down to find a sweet spot. Somewhere in there I got a massive head rush and had to put it down for a while. I finally settled at 4.8 volts. It hits like a truck and hisses like a snake. Clouds of thick, warm, sweet cherry vapor. Followed by a sip of bourbon, it's almost like a Manhattan. I guess this weekend will be spent shopping for a few HV toys to try on it, and I'm open to suggestions.

Also, Chrispy or anyone, if you have a link for that DIY adapter mentioned in a previous post, I'd love it if you'd post it.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Also, Chrispy or anyone, if you have a link for that DIY adapter mentioned in a previous post, I'd love it if you'd post it.

I did link it but it's not in stock right now..here it is again~> The Shadow Tester ;)

BTW an old metal cartomizer, old 510 battery connector (or new one), some wires, alligator clips, drilling or dremeling and a bit of soldering you could build one in probably 15mins or so...

Last edited:

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
I did link it but it's not in stock right now..here it is again~> The Shadow Tester ;)

BTW an old metal cartomizer, old 510 battery connector (or new one), some wires, alligator clips, drilling or dremeling and a bit of soldering you could build one in probably 15mins or so...

Ahh, I can visualize it now. I was trying to over-engineer it. To the workshop! Well, no, to bed, then get up and mow the lawn, then to work, then to dinner with the wife, then to Mom's for Mothers Day.....I'll get there eventually :)

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Ahh, I can visualize it now. I was trying to over-engineer it. To the workshop! Well, no, to bed, then get up and mow the lawn, then to work, then to dinner with the wife, then to Mom's for Mothers Day.....I'll get there eventually :)

Yeah I need to build another one myself as the 1st one I built isn't good enough..I just haven't got around to it but I can be a bit of a procrastinator lol..I do need to get a couple small alligator clips and maybe another 510 battery connector (not sure if I have one laying around)..I tested enough though to know my "LT" does what I need it to do so that's part of why I'm in no hurry to build another one :)

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
Hey just a heads up with all the negative talk.The MODS are shutting down threads due to them getting rowdy and may have even banned a few people.Maybe some really don't care about that but others do.I'm not on anyone's side of this whole thing as Ive only read a few pages.I would just hate to see anyone getting banned.The thread about the VMax was just shut down for this same reason.

Here is the link to what I'm talking about.... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...385-new-variable-voltage-device-smoktech.html

Check out the last page and read down.

Last edited:

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Hey just a heads up with all the negative talk.The MODS are shutting down threads due to them getting rowdy and may have even banned a few people.Maybe some really don't care about that but others do.I'm not on anyone's side of this whole thing as Ive only read a few pages.I would just hate to see anyone getting banned.The thread about the VMax was just shut down for this same reason.

Can't argue with your caution but there was at least one person on the VMax thread that worked very hard at getting it shut down, don't think he even realized how far he was going, these folks are calm by comparison.

Errol

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
If you're handy it's not too hard to make tester/adapter if not The Shadow Tester ;) (it's out of stock and on order right now though)

What with all the comments about Volt Meters I had to wonder if they were aware a VOM is useless for testing PVs unless one has an adapter.

BTW that adapter you linked is a nice little unit, the first commercial unit I've seen.

Errol

Chopper71

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2011
Broadway,Virginia
Can't argue with your caution but there was at least one person on the VMax thread that worked very hard at getting it shut down, don't think he even realized how far he was going, these folks are calm by comparison.

Errol

Oh I know.....I just didn't want to see the same thing happen here.Just looking out for fellow vapers is all.

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
Just got my new lava tube in the mail today & i've been playing with it non stop! I love new toys, LOL!!! Ordered it from Vaporbeast & got it in three days with free shipping. The silver finish is really nice, and there's no branding on it so it's nice and clean. I love how it shows the ohm for whatever atty or carto you're using with one push of the power button.

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
All i know is they are 3.7 volt 18650 batteries, have no clue as to what the mah rating is. As far as having an eGo style top post, i'm not sure what you mean by that. All i know is that it's a 510 connector that sits flush with the top & doesn't stick up. This thing is really nice, vapes well & the unbranded silver color is really sharp looking.

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
Do you know the specifics of the batteries that come with the kit ??
Also Do they have the eGo style top post ?? It was a bit to tough to tell in the photo that was on vaporbeast...

It's not an eGo connection. It's just a plain 510. Here's some quick photos to compare to my KGOs. The tank on the Vector was not part of the kit, it was the daily deal for like 9 bucks. The drip tip was included with the kit. I know you can get an eGo adapter if you want to experiment, I plan on getting one just to play with the Stardust on my new toy.

Vector3.jpg Vector2.jpg Vector1.jpg

Last edited:

cjb313

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Thanks for the pictures, I really appreciate them.. It seems like it's a great device, and it looks really sharp too..

I do want to take a moment (off topic a little) and give my fellow PV mates something to ponder..
I think within the last year or so, folks have become to spoiled.. I remember buying my cigs at the store and that was that.. I feel extremely lucky to have devices that are sophisticated and work so well to aid in the cessation of smoking..
I can say with surety that the BT companies monitor these pages (not just ECF's but all of them), in order to see what demographic to target.. And looking at some of these posts it seems that it's a very young and sophomoric group of kids bickering and throwing stones.. Maybe it's time to reevaluate ourselves before the choice of what you can or can't have is not available anymore..

*please note that I'm certainly NOT implying that there are not a large majority of very intelligent and humble adults here.. But it seems that a lot of us are becoming the "silent majority".. Lastly these views are just metophoric and something to think about, not anything to start conflict...

Last edited:

cjb313

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
Las Vegas
All i know is they are 3.7 volt 18650 batteries, have no clue as to what the mah rating is. As far as having an eGo style top post, i'm not sure what you mean by that. All i know is that it's a 510 connector that sits flush with the top & doesn't stick up. This thing is really nice, vapes well & the unbranded silver color is really sharp looking.

I have the V-1 lava tube and that's a nice piece for a starting point..what I meant by the eGo style post was that I thought some of the chrome versions have "lambo" (not sure what that even is LoL !!) Tops with eGo style adapters.. But then again each week there is something a little different..
Is the silver a better silver then the original silver finish volcano first came out with ???

Highwayman1224

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
Goodyear, AZ
Couldn't tell you if there's a difference between my silver color & the volcano. All I know is I like things without a company name plastered all over it, lol. Hopefully it'll hold up to constant use, don't know if it's actually raw aluminum or paint though. Guess i'll find out after I use it for awhile. The first time I end up dropping it on a hard surface will be the test, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread