Stop the presses, new lavatube 3.0 is about to hit with a 4 amp limit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
The black version has a nice satin black finish, as opposed to a slick shiny black. It's good for grip, still enough shine to look sharp. I like the fact that the top cap is matching black, so the whole thing is one solid color. And I agree with Highwayman1224 that it's nice to have it logo-free. The most important thing to me is that I'm finally getting a taste of the variable voltage world, with what seems to be a nice piece of equipment within my recession-stricken budget. If my wife and I can avoid getting laid-off again (and again) I'm sure there are more mods in my future. No more sucking on butts for me!

cjb313

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
Las Vegas
Couldn't tell you if there's a difference between my silver color & the volcano. All I know is I like things without a company name plastered all over it, lol. Hopefully it'll hold up to constant use, don't know if it's actually raw aluminum or paint though. Guess i'll find out after I use it for awhile. The first time I end up dropping it on a hard surface will be the test, lol!

Yeah I am really happy from what I've heard so far about the Vers. 3 LT and if I were to do things over again I would have never purchased my unit from volcano (nothing against them) but from the notion I had they were the sole retailer of the lava tube and for about 2 months everyone was under that same assumption.. I will give credit to the people responsible for the lava tube design because seeing the smok vmax makes me proud to have something that has unique qualities compared to the Provari..
As for dropping your PV.. Well it's something that we all fear and try so hard to avoid but like taxes and death, it's inevitable.. But once it happens the OCD goes away.. Well a little anyway LoL !!!

cjb313

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2010
Las Vegas
The black version has a nice satin black finish, as opposed to a slick shiny black. It's good for grip, still enough shine to look sharp. I like the fact that the top cap is matching black, so the whole thing is one solid color. And I agree with Highwayman1224 that it's nice to have it logo-free. The most important thing to me is that I'm finally getting a taste of the variable voltage world, with what seems to be a nice piece of equipment within my recession-stricken budget. If my wife and I can avoid getting laid-off again (and again) I'm sure there are more mods in my future. No more sucking on butts for me!
Keep up the great work !! I remember finally making the switch to a PV and at the time everyone was waiting for the big unveiling of the eGo LoL !! Just goes to show even with a 510 and poly-fill carts, it's possible to quite almost instantly.. I guess it's all about the will to want to quit..
I like the black and silver but the slip factor has me thinking the black may be better for me, although I think I'd be happy with either one... ;)

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
Keep in mind I have no other experience with vv to compare this to, quality or performance wise. It seems nice, though, and seems to perform well. I can definitely tell the difference as I step up the voltage, and that's what I was after. For me personally, this seems to be money well spent. The wife absolutely loves the lack of cigarette stench, and has seen me struggle to quit, so she's pretty supportive of this. I'm looking forward to getting some higher ohm trinkets to put on it and further my experience. Hopefully I'll be able to help others get off and stay off the analogs.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
this thing looks pretty sweet, still only one vendor at the moment?

has anyone ran tests on it under load to verify the accuracy of the voltage display and real amp limit?

how's the construction feel in your hands? I've never owned a VV mod, but have been told by a few vets that the lavatubes have a cheap feel to them

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm a happy Provari owner, but not one who will diss the Lavatube. I think competition is what makes products better and prices lower. That's a good thing for Vapers.

I compared VV mods for a l-o-n-g time before buying a Provari. It was a close race in price vs performance and the Provari won out on its ability to deliver rated voltage without downshifting on low resistance loads. At the time, I think I made a good decision on buying the Provari, although I could have had several Lavatubes for the price of a Provari. It was build quality (stainless steel construction throughout vs aluminum) and current handling that made my decision.

Now that a 4.0 amp Lavatube is coming out, that sways the comparison slightly. The Provari V2 does 3.5 amps, which allows it to use 1.5 ohm coils. I do have a DCT tank and a couple of 1.7 ohm cartos for it, but what I find is that I like 3 ohm Boges at 4.2v just a little better than the 2 ohm Boges.

You have to decide on how much money you can spend and how long the mod you buy will last. Add to that an American company that will repair it if it breaks and you have a complete package with the Provari. They will upgrade your Provari if a new electronics package is offered. Provapes is upgrading V1 to V2 for $20. You pay the in shipping and they pay to ship it back to you. That's a deal.

Like I said, the Lavatube is looking to be a contender with V3 or V4 or whatever the new one is. The only thing you have to consider in a long run purchase is service, quality of construction, and the life of the product. An out of warranty Lavatube may be a throw away device that requires another purchase. At any rate, it's a good device to provide VV vaping at a reasonable price.

To avoid any confusion, I'm not out to say that one is a better choice than the other, just that there are lots of things that we all need to consider before buying a mod upgrade. The initial price may not be the only thing to think about.

Last edited:

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
I'm a happy Provari owner, but not one who will diss the Lavatube. I think competition is what makes products better and prices lower. That's a good thing for Vapers.

I compared VV mods for a l-o-n-g time before buying a Provari. It was a close race in price vs performance and the Provari won out on its ability to deliver rated voltage without downshifting on low resistance loads. At the time, I think I made a good decision on buying the Provari, although I could have had several Lavatubes for the price of a Provari. It was build quality (stainless steel construction throughout vs aluminum) and current handling that made my decision.

Now that a 4.0 amp Lavatube is coming out, that sways the comparison slightly. The Provari V2 does 3.5 amps, which allows it to use 1.5 ohm coils. I do have a DCT tank and a couple of 1.7 ohm cartos for it, but what I find is that I like 3 ohm Boges at 4.2v just a little better than the 2 ohm Boges.

You have to decide on how much money you can spend and how long the mod you buy will last. Add to that an American company that will repair it if it breaks and you have a complete package with the Provari. They will upgrade your Provari if a new electronics package is offered. Provapes is upgrading V1 to V2 for $20. You pay the in shipping and they pay to ship it back to you. That's a deal.

Like I said, the Lavatube is looking to be a contender with V3 or V4 or whatever the new one is. The only thing you have to consider in a long run purchase is service, quality of construction, and the life of the product. An out of warranty Lavatube may be a through away device that requires another purchase. At any rate, it's a good device to provide VV vaping at a reasonable price.

To avoid any confusion, I'm not out to say that one is a better choice than the other, just that there are lots of things that we all need to consider before buying a mod upgrade. The initial price may not be the only thing to think about.

Well said, I could not have said it better.
I do own a Provari V1 and two "Lavatubes" V1. I use all three with 2.5 and 3 ohm DCT and all three perform well. I haven't upgraded my Provari to V2 yet but I am considering.
I just ordered the "Lavatube" V3 from VaporBeast and look foward to trying it with my 1.5 DCT hopefully I'll have success but I'll have to see. If that doesn't work I'll will upgrade the Provari to V2 for sure. That $20 upgrade price can't be beat so I'll probably do it anyway eventually. I do like the that it is made in the good old USA.
Cheers,
Mike

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
this thing looks pretty sweet, still only one vendor at the moment? has anyone ran tests on it under load to verify the accuracy of the voltage display and real amp limit? how's the construction feel in your hands? I've never owned a VV mod, but have been told by a few vets that the lavatubes have a cheap feel to them

Cyrus,

Testing: I now own both the Uniq/Young June Version 1.5 (with a 3.2A limit) and the L-Rider Version 3.0 (with a 4.0A limit). Except for the amp limit, they are nearly identical in design, although the bottom caps and top connectors are different. Both use pulse-width-modulated chip circuitry. As a result, we can't screw on a simple inline digital voltage display (the kind Madvapes sells, which many of us own) to check. All we'll get is dim flashing on the display. To check and verify the unloaded/loaded voltage at various resistance loads, we'd need a fairly sophisticated set-up with an oscilloscope. Even further, we'd also need to understand and correctly interpret the resulting numbers, since the individual voltage micro-pulses cover a wide range of variance, so how one sets up the oscilloscope to average out the pulse numbers is critical. No doubt someone has done or will do those tests, but I haven't seen any comprehensive results yet.

I can offer my non-scientific and subjective/anecdotal reaction that at high voltage, both new LTs hit just as hard as any of my other VVs (which include Madvapes linear VV boxes, Maximum Vapors evercool boxes, BuzzPro and iPro). I can attest that my other devices have minimal if any voltage drop above 5 volts (since I can measure them), and both LTs offer similar real-world vaping performance where I can't discern any difference.

Vendors: I haven't kept up with the vendor count since ordering my Vector Variable Volt (or LT 3.0) from vaporbeast on May 10th. (The free shipping was incredibly fast---the package arrived in my mailbox on May 12th). $68.99 for a full kit is hard to beat. If you conservatively factor in the cost of two 18650 high-drain batteries, a single-bay charger, two standard-resistance atties (they were stated to be 3.0 ohm, but mine tested 2.6 and 2.8 ohms), and two pre-filled CE2 cartos, the cost for the V3 unit itself goes down to about $45.

Construction: OK, I don't own a ProVari (not to dis the ProVari, just stating that I haven't held one). But I do own a total of 71 mods of all types, from eGos through tube and box mods to relatively high-end VVs (BuzzPro and iPro). The build quality of both LTs seems fine to me, especially given what I paid for them. (For instance, I don't expect my Madvapes VV boxes to be as solidly built or rock-like as my BuzzPro, for which I paid four times as much.) The fit and finish on both LTs is actually higher than I expected.

Yes, my particular Vector VV LT 3.0 does have a very slight switch cover rattle, but only if you shake the unit side-to-side (not something I spend much time doing, LOL). Ultimately, "cheap-feeling" is a subjective judgment, but I have no complaints at all.

Durability/longevity is another question, however, and something I can't yet assess, of course. I've had the LT 1.5 only two weeks and the LT 3.0 a mere two days. But so far, so good. I'm glad I waited and never bought an LT 1.0, because these new upgraded versions perform flawlessly and seem to have no quirks at all.

I love the fact the only a single button press is required to see the resistance of your atty/carto, the voltage setting, and the remaining battery life. Hit the power button once, the screen lights up and shows resistance for two seconds, then the voltage setting for two more seconds, and both screens contain the battery-remaining bar graphic on the right side. Now that's brilliant ergonomics. The only time multiple button presses are necessary is after a battery swap-out, which resets the voltage down to 3.0 (as a safety feature).

Creniker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2011
Salt Lake
Ok since you think the "V3 LT" is a risk what single battery tube VV with a display do you recommend for someone on a low budget?..for me it's the "LT" I can own 2 or 3 of them without breaking the bank and they preform just fine..see I researched what I was buying before I bought the 2.5a one and it does just fine with the single coils I use and I suspect the new 4a one will do really good with a dual or low resistance coil...

Don't waste your time..he says no brand loyalty but if you just click his name and click "View forum posts" as I did more than a day ago you will see what forum almost half his posts are in for his recent posts.

Honest question no trolling. Why buy three of them if your trying to save money? At that price you could own the provari, which is generally agreed as a better device at a higher cost.

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
I received my VVV from Vapor Beast today (5/14/12) ordered it on 5/11/12 and it shipped on 5/11/12. That's fast!
I'm vaping it at 4.2 volts using a DCT reading 1.9 ohms on the VVV which is a little over 9 watts (calculates out to 2.2amps). I've only been vaping it for a couple of hours but so far so good. I have no way of measuring the voltage drop since my MadVapes 510 volt meter just flickers when trying to read the voltage with it. I can only say that the TH and vapor production is greater than I get using my 3.7V Ecigworkshop PV. I've also noticed I'm going through the ejuice in the tank faster than the 3.7V PV.
The fire button works well. One press on the power button reads the Atomizer/Cartomizer resistence with a battery icon to the right of the display showing remaining battery power. The battery end cap threads are finer(threads closer together) than the Provari so care should be taken when screwing the end cap back on so not to cross thread it. I did put Noalox on the threads when I received it so it threads on smoothly. It looks like I'll need to purchase that gizmo with flying leads on a 510 tube (out of stock right now at another vendor) to actually measure the voltage drop of the VVV. I do have a o-scope so I'm fine there. In the mean time maybe someone else will do those measurements and post the results.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Honest question no trolling. Why buy three of them if your trying to save money? At that price you could own the provari, which is generally agreed as a better device at a higher cost.

Because I switch flavors a lot and like to have them ready to go..besides the Provari single button menu system isn't for me and I feel it is overpriced..a few weeks ago I could have bought a dozen Provari's but instead I bought a TV and a couple guitars.

I still could buy 2-3 but I'm not paying over $100 for a tube APV..not to mention my "V1 LT" does what I need it to do very well and I haven't had an issue with mine in 2 and 1/2 months. I look at Provari as paying an extra $80 for a name.

For $160 for just the device I would expect +/- buttons and a better display than 2 single digits that I can buy for a couple dollars..long run I will save money though since I doubt I'll be buying another device for a year.

Anyways this thread isn't "LT" vs Provari it's about the new "LT"...

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
Because I switch flavors a lot and like to have them ready to go..besides the Provari single button menu system isn't for me and I feel it is overpriced..a few weeks ago I could have bought a dozen Provari's but instead I bought a TV and a couple guitars.

For $160 for just the device I would expect +/- buttons and a better display than 2 single digits that I can buy for a couple dollars..long run I will save money though since I doubt I'll be buying another device for a year.

Anyways this thread isn't "LT" vs Provari it's about the new "LT"...

Pretty tough to get away from the Provari comparisons, doesn't matter if it just a $20 Twist. :)

I was darn close to ordering a Provari after watching Busardo's review, I was impressed until I thought of how much time he spent pressing buttons to change the voltage, reminded me of someone sending a text message on a miniature keyboard. Pretty nice to just move your thumb a little to adjust the voltage up or down.

Errol

BoiseMike

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Boise, ID USA
I can't believe I read through almost this entire thread. Some I glossed over. Something several pages back reminded me of something.
When I first bought my motorcycle I loved it. Then I did some testing of it and found that my speedometer was reading faster by about 10%. So I figured I'd been ripped off. I wasn't going as fast as I'd been led to believe. And when I loaded it down or hit a hill I had to give it even more throttle to keep up my speed. Then as the tires wore down and the wheel circumference changed my speedo became even more inaccurate. I wanted my money back.
Then I realized that as long as I was enjoying it I didn't really care if the speedo was off. I can do a little quick math in my head if I need to stay near the speed limit. As long as it's moving me around at varying speeds in a safe and reliable way I'm happy with it. I'm sure glad I didn't let the speedo inaccuracy get the best of me.
I love my bikes, inaccurate speedos and all!
Sorry, back on topic now. I got my LT back in 12/11 and it's been working great ever since. I use the voltage readout as a guide, not the gospel truth.

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
good stuff mike and herb, thank you so much for the posts

can any DMMs read the voltage on PWM? I could have sworn some models were able to.

The VVV uses pulse-width-modulated chip circuitry in other words it's not a DC signal. It's more like a rectified square wave with no voltage for some specified time between the rectified square wave. Usually with some overshoot in voltage (but not always) at the leading edge of the square wave. You'll need a osciliscope to see whats going on. If you use a DMM on the DC setting it won't give you a true reading.

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
The VVV uses pulse-width-modulated chip circuitry in other words it's not a DC signal. It's more like a rectified square wave with no voltage for some specified time between the rectified square wave. Usually with some overshoot in voltage (but not always) at the leading edge of the square wave. You'll need a osciliscope to see whats going on. If you use a DMM on the DC setting it won't give you a true reading.

What is a DMM? :)

Errol

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I think he meant digital multimeter...

yes :) so would a digital multimeter give a stable number that was just wrong, or give a wild all over the place reading?

curious because I thought I was measuring some of my regulated gen 2 808s (I was under the impression that they are PWM as well, please correct me if wrong) but now it seems that I wasn't lol

sorry for the rabbit trail

dang vapor beast sold out pretty quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread