Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Truth be told, this is just a topic I really don't care to debate anymore. Why? Because I just DON'T CARE!! If I am addicted to nicotine, vaping, bacon, brownies, German Chocolate cake, and dark chocolate, then it's MY business and NOT for the government or FDA to worry about. AND, none of it makes me a bad person, SO................rage on. :p

I hear ya Rotowoman and I mostly agree with you. I don't really get into this topic much and I certainly don't rage about it, but I do sometimes like to input a bit of my experiences when I feel it's appropriate and it might help someone. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't and that's cool :)

Now for the important part. Merry Christmas to you and yours and a great New Year to all :toast:

sub4me

Moved On
Aug 31, 2014
USA
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Disruptive

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
And I would say, clearly, some have hitched a wagon to idea that nicotine is especially addictive, while constructing very well known and perverse agendas to play on (or prey on) nicotine users as if they are ALL ADDICTS.

So, along comes a nic user who claims to not be an addict or challenges this rather mundane description of addiction and they, THEY, are the one with an agenda? THEY are the ones twisting things to suit an agenda?

Jman, I don't always agree with you, but you nailed it with these statements :thumb:

And kudos for the well thought out post and for making your case so logically and eloquently :)

And as one who has intentionally chosen not to quit smoking cigarettes, and who has covered the gamut on levels of using nicotine via smoking, I'm here to attest to the idea that smoking (nic) is not inherently addictive. And that I am alive and kicking many many years later as a non-addict, but former addict, establishes that the detrimental factor that allegedly comes with (intense) addiction to nicotine is far less than what's purported and more than 'none at all.'

But I do not agree with this. I was very addicted to smoking and so are a lot of other people. I do not get addicted to vaping nicotine after riding myself of the smoking addiction, even after being so addicted to smoking for almost 40 years. I see the possibility that dual use may well also allow less addiction to smoking than smoking alone, but I believe that solely smoking is inherently very addictive.

Great post and I couldn't not like it.

cfm78910

Sep 15, 2014
Cape Town
Some just want so badly to convince everyone that vaping isn't addictive or harmful so they hitched their wagon to the nicotine isn't addictive slogan which is just silly.

They will keep insisting nicotine by itself (raw nicotine) isn't addictive and blah, blah, blah. Who freaking cares?? No one is using raw nicotine in a real world sense. The mass majority are using nicotine in either tobacco form or vaping it and by all means are addicted to it, which is why they keep doing it and have back ups of back ups incase their rig dies. The very fact that all these ex smokers choose to vape nicotine instead of smoking proves that point, along with all those who say if they cant vape nicotine then they will return to smoking. I'm so tired of hearing some stupid study about never smokers. Who cares?? They where never smokers and are not relevant in a tobacco vaping nicotine addiction discussion. Some just need to twist the facts to suit their own opinion and agenda.

Go to the smoke shop or vape shop the highest nic e juice always sells out first and the zero nic is always in stock and sells very slowly. The only ones who mostly use zero nic e liquid are cloud chasers and most of those zero nic users are your famous never smokers LOL, its fun and games for them, a hobby and nothing more.

Real ex smokers who have switched from smoking and choose to vape almost all of them use some level of nicotine. Some will start at a high level and drop down to where their comfortable and some will drip their e liquid and because of the potency of dripping they use a lower nic level. So lets not pretend here. Just about everyone seeking out nicotine from smoking or vaping is most likely addicted to it and to try to convince people otherwise is complete nonsense.

Also many people are addicted to nicotine patches and nicotine gum (I just don't know where some of you get your facts) and both of those have helped many quit, not everyone who uses those products quits, but some do. Lets not forget quitting any product you like to use takes will power. If your dedicated to quitting you will do it, but you have to really want to. Fact is most don't really want to quit and are trying to quit for the wrong reasons, in other words not for themselves, their not really committed to quitting.

Why does vaping make it so much easier for a smoker to quit?? The answer is easy. Its a delivery that most smokers are familiar with, it contains Nicotine, it tastes good, and mimics smoking. Take a smokers tobacco away completely and give them a zero nic e liquid and tell them to quit smoking, LOL, isn't gonna happen because the smoker is addicted to Nicotine, duh.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Excellent reply sub4me!

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I'm not real clear what all the fuss is about. But its quite obvious that some feel a need to convince others that vaping nicotine isn't addictive and is just simply harmless

No one has said "simply harmless." Find that quote (first) and ask how many others on this thread subscribe to that notion. I bet zero. Just like an addiction to apples wouldn't be 'simply harmless.' Drinking water by the gallons wouldn't be 'simply harmless.'

But for whatever reason some want to insist on it and make long boring agruis posts as if they have some authority on the matter.

I'll take long, well thought thru posts over short sound bite rhetoric of posts, which misstate positions (see above). Reasoning backed up with critical thinking generally carries more authority than posts that are compelled to state "More pointless opinion which means nothing."

I believe many of these web forum scientist got their education in the form of opinion from the intrenet, which is fine, but its certainly far from fact.

Those saying nicotine is addictive aren't presenting fact. They are repeating that ad nauseam and hoping if it is said 4 more times, that ought to settle the debate.

I also observe none, in this thread, are presenting the position of 'habitual use of nicotine is dangerous to the user' which to even bring up the word 'addiction' would be germane to the debate we are having. Instead, it is let's just agree that nicotine is addictive, even if you aren't addicted to it, and let that be victory for one side of this debate. When that side is presented with the fact that every substance is, by this rationale, addictive, suddenly it is birds chirping.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Jman, I don't always agree with you, but you nailed it with these statements :thumb:

And kudos for the well thought out post and for making your case so logically and eloquently :)

But I do not agree with this. I was very addicted to smoking and so are a lot of other people. I do not get addicted to vaping nicotine after riding myself of the smoking addiction, even after being so addicted to smoking for almost 40 years. I see the possibility that dual use may well also allow less addiction to smoking than smoking alone, but I believe that solely smoking is inherently very addictive.

Great post and I couldn't not like it.

I too was very addicted to smoking. At that time, I swore nicotine was addictive. Now, I have lost that conviction. If I had zero experience of going cold turkey, I would feel it more challenging to make some of the points I've made on this thread. As I have substantial amount of experience going cold turkey, and am now a moderate smoker who no longer craves any of the smokes I've had in the past year, it is very challenging to argue that smoking cigarettes is inherently addictive. I very much believe I could smoke 1 cig a day for the next 50 days and my cravings wouldn't change. Pretty sure I could smoke a pack a day for say 7 days and within 30 days (maybe even within 1 week), I could get that down to 1 a day, or less. So, what sort of test would a fellow vaper, ex-smoker wish to put forth to establish that smoking is inherently addictive? Not saying for sure I'll do it, as I don't enjoy abusive smoking anymore, but ought to tell anyone paying attention to nuances in this discussion that if one were to willingly become abusive smoker, that is when they would stand a chance of becoming addicted. If one simply is a 'smoker' that is not committed to stopping / quitting, I'm saying it is entirely possible to not be addicted and has been my experience now for nearly a year.

I do concede that solely smoking would likely lead to an addiction, though not necessarily as there have always been moderate smokers amongst us. But now that we live in a world where vaping is part of what is, then why would we continue to tout the meme that smoking is inherently addictive when I would be proof that this is not the case. I also believe that some vapers, who are ex-smokers, but likely not all such vapers could dual use and would never become addicted to smoking even while they likely were addicted themselves at some point in the past.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
And yet again, I say it depends on the individual.

I vaped for two years (2010-12). On December 2012, I moved to another city and during those days, it was complicated mantaining my setup charged and ready to go. I bought a pack of smokes and I went right back to smoking a pack, pack and half every day for the next two years. For me, stopping vaping put right where I left when I stopped smoking. No moderate use, no less dependency... I just returned to the old habit.

my two cents
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread