What's Your Favorite MTL RTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Mine was the Nautilus mini. I say "was" because the deeming forced me into finding an alternative so that I could rebuild my own coils in case all the equipment went "poof".

I went to a Kayfun Mini V3. It's okay, a little airier than I would like, and it leaks some, but at least I can survive. And making coils is very cheap.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've tried many popular RTA's and keep coming back to my Kayfun Lite Plus V2's. Kayfun is a design that works well and has a cigarette filter like draw. The later K5 versions offer adjustable air and juice flow for those who like more air and the ability to match air with juice flow to customize the vape.

It's important to me to be able to slide a small mod in a pocket with confidence that it won't leak. So many mods aren't that leak proof. The more adjustments it has, the more likely you'll reach for it and find a film of juice on your hand, especially with the expansion from heat in a pants pocket.

ShaneR42

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2016
SXK Doggystyle is in first (I own 3) followed by the Berserker. These get used daily.

Still use my Nautilus Mini and 2 sorta-kinda often and still recommend the Mini (over the 2, actually) to those looking for a stock coil option.

Everything else is going unused.

EDIT: Why the Doggystyle and Berserker? tight, well designed airflow and flavour. The Doggy wins first for simplicity and ease of use: A tank doesn't need to be over-engineered for a good vape.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm really fond of my Siren V2. I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I love my two, especially the 22 mm version. I like the berserker as well for flavor but man that is one tight draw. Some of the Kayfuns are nice but I only own clones.

As far as drop in coils, I am joining the CLR coil revolution with a tron-s tank and an ego one mega V2, but there will always be a place in my life for Nautilus coils in a variety of my tanks. I have to admit I am really enjoying the "non-proprietary" aspect of drop-in coils these days.

Anna

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
Thanks for input folks. I currently vape mostly DTL and am pretty happy with the DTL RTA's I have. I do like to vape MTL now and then. I have an old Aspire Triton Mini 2 that I use drop-in coils for and it is a great little tank but I love to make my own coils. So... a while back I bought the eGo one Mega 2 tank. I have had mixed results with the CLR coils. I just haven't been in love with it. I like it but I don't love it. So I'm looking around for something else that might give me that WOWSERS! feeling.

Anna, I've been looking at the Siren V2.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well the good, the bad and the ugly... It's an easy setup (at least for me) you "trap" the coils on the velocity style, I believe it is, deck. I use rayon, and that thing never leaks, it was the first RTA I felt comfortable taking out of the house. As far as airflow, it's adjustable, to a point. I actually like it even wide open, but at that point I think I am doing more of a restricted lung hit. It's a thirsty tank on any setting, but closing down the airflow does help a bit. I found the vape pretty similar in either version (and I like them both).

As far as flavor, IMO it shines best with strong fruit flavors. Some folks really find the flavor muted, it's my opinion you need to find the right juices for this tank, and perhaps "subtle" isn't it. I'd say the main complaints are about airflow (may not be a concern for you, it's a bit of a crossover tank IMO) and flavor, which I will comment that if you have a very subtle or less flavored juice in there, you may not be the happiest. My favorite (DIY) flavor in it so far is bilberry plus heaven, or mango/peach/pomegranate. That type of juice. I will say that if you don't find a juice that "works" you may be unhappy with flavor, but I don't find myself unhappy with what I use. I think certain flavor concerns are legit, possibly.

I will say that the 24 vs 22, very similar/identical setup and build. I have one I use in TC mode on a steampunk and put the smaller diameter on a provari dragon.

Top refill is super easy, and I haven't experienced a drop of leakage. The only time it leaks is right after it dies, which time has increased slightly reducing wick in the coil a bit (was having wicks break in half in my coil) but other than that, (since I've reduced wicking a hair, the rayon wick lasts longer).

Hope any of this is useful....

Anna

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!
Boy, MTL is really making a HUGE return after a couple of years of being the red headed step-child... there are so many threads here and other forums/FB groups cussing and discussing MTL devices. Its a beautiful time :)

I'm a tight draw, flavor loving, MTL, above ohm, low wattage vaper, mostly tobaccos with some desserts now and again (for context of my style and likes :)).

Of the new RTAs that come in 22mm (another prerequisite for me, 22mm or smaller):
  • Berserker
  • SXK Doggy Style
Of the classics here is my list that I have hoarded up on :)
  • Kayfun Lite
  • Spheroid (V2-V4)
  • Gem V1
  • Gus Phen. Zest V1
  • Erlkonigin nano
  • Prometey (V2 & V3)
All of these RTAs meet my very picky qualifications, with draw and flavor being my non-negotiable qualities that I demand, along with some other variables that I'm more lenient on.

ToolmanTexas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2014
T for Texas!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I think you mean Doggy clone for inexpensive rta. The original is expensive.

Doggystyle 2K16
Yes the authentic is super expensive and unavailable. ... I also mentioned a few other rta's and didn't say if they were authentic or clones either.....if In my list, I put authentic in front of every rta I list, people would probably think I'm showing off, so I just list the item

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
Love my KFL+, my Sirens (v1 and v2), miss my russian 91% (lost the base somewhere), and when i was feeling nostalgic my AGA-T2 is always a flavor beast (and tighter than sucking a golf ball through a coffee straw).

the KFL+ and russian were great for flavor, nice tight draw, and fairly easy to build on. They weren't the prettiest, but if you got the right tube to run them on they looked classy.

the sirens are also great on flavor and better with TC than the KFL and russian, the v1 had an issue with seeping out the AFC, but you could live with it, the v2 doesn't have that problem.

if you want to feel nostalgic, or are a masochist get an AGA-t2, TINY air hole, mesh wicks, designed for 32-30 awg wire,tiny screws and weird center pin nuts to capture leads, no tc. but when its setup properly, OMG the intense flavor and throat hit that's soo good its almost painful. however, bump it wrong and it WILL f**k you up; hot spots, harsh hits due to airflow being off, THE ABSOLUTE WORST DRY HITS due to the mesh running dry.

sorry, triggered myself there, some good ones previously mentioned, others i haven't used, but good advise all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread